If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Bluebell Northern Extension - so what's occurring then?

Discussion in 'Heritage Railways & Centres in the UK' started by domeyhead, Feb 17, 2012.

1. 46118

46118 Part of the furniture

As ever Tom, thanks for the information.

I just hope the weather is a little kinder when the opening public services take place.

2. spindizzy

spindizzy Member

The 9F is running up to East Grinstead on test/training trains this afternoon.

3. Jamessquared

Jamessquared Nat Pres stalwart

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Photos from John Sandys here.

9F Through the Cutting! - a set on Flickr

The 9F certainly sounded good coming up towards Imberhorne Lane bridge! Fittingly, Chris White was driving. There should be more trips tomorrow for crew training purposes, but using the U boat.

As far as I am aware, this is the first steam engine at East Grinstead since 1965, and the first arrival from the south since 1964, when (ironically, as it turned out!) the Bluebell leant engines to assist with the demolition of the line north of HK.

Demolition started from Ardingly and worked north. Birch Grove and the NLR tank worked the trains in alternate weeks through August and into September 1964 by which time HK was reached. Just before demolition north of HK started, the spare Dukedog tender was taken to West Hoathly to serve as a water supply. (I think that would mean the tender the Dukedog has now.) The platform at West Hoathly was stacked with coal and once demolition started at Leamland Bridge, the NLR tank and Dukedog tender were thereafter trapped. They eventually reached EG by March 1965, leaving the NLR tank trapped - there is a photo in Klaus Marx' book of the engine, facing south, in a siding just north of the viaduct, about where our new station is.

Tom

4. alts1985

alts1985 Well-Known Member

Store Manager for the Co-operative Group
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Any idea of times tomorrow afternoon? Off to the Brighton vs Crystal Palace match at lunchtime but might head over in the afternoon if they are still running!

5. David-Haggar

David-Haggar Member

Water Meter Reader
    Yes, can some departure times from Kingscote be released for tomorrow's driving training runs please?

6. Rlangham

Rlangham Well-Known Member

This was posted by the Bluebell Railway on facebook regarding training runs;

" there will be more over the coming week, but don't know when, since they have to fit around other work to get the line ready for the opening"

7. David-Haggar

David-Haggar Member

Water Meter Reader
  8. Jamessquared

9. David-Haggar

David-Haggar Member

Water Meter Reader
    Yeah I was a bit disappointed to see the Mk1 behind the U boat as the SR Olive Green combination would've looked good. But hey-hoy, hopefully the U or E4 will be hauling that set next week without the Mk1 in tow.

10. Jamessquared

I think there was a certain amount of putting a big load in to make the most difficult driving challenge - this was after all a training turn, not a photo charter! As for the slow speed, the 9F came up (and went down) slowly yesterday: I think that is probably understandable on a formation that is still new. I don't think it is a reflection on the capability of the loco.

For the opening day, that set (minus mark 1) will be hauled by B473+323.

Tom

11. David-Haggar

David-Haggar Member

Water Meter Reader
    Ahhh b$gger don't say that the blue P is gonna be double-heading with the E4 please? It said on the web site the first EG train departure would be B473 with the olive green set which was something I was really looking forward to. 323 on the front would rather ruin an excellent 1930's olive green combination. :-(

12. Paul42

Paul42 Part of the furniture

It is, refer to the loco roster. Tom advised previously that the train would be too heavy for 473 on its own.

13. Jamessquared

B473 on its own won't take the load. And for opening to EG, it is fitting that 323, as one of our first two engines, should take a ceremonial role.

With 30 coaches in five sets (including teh pullmans / WR set) in action on the opening day, we need the maximum power available: with 70000 hors de combat, that means 92212; 1638; 323+B473 and 178+263.

Tom

14. David-Haggar

David-Haggar Member

Water Meter Reader
    Ohh well, there's the 9F to look forward to hopefully on green Bulleid/Mk1 stock and carrying an S&D reporting number with lamps that would make an authentic train combination.

15. Rlangham

Think it's quite nice that 323 will be on the first train actually, as mentioned one of the first locos - and in black and white the blue livery is a pretty close match to SECR anyway!

16. Rlangham

And 178 and 263 double heading - hopefully 178 on front? If i'm able to pop in, would finally see 178 in action, previous times it's been due to run but hasn't

17. Dan Hill

Dan Hill Part of the furniture

Brick Machine Operator
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Don't care what the combinations are, all thats important is that the trains will be running into East Grinstead. Any idea when the Special with the Founder Members with 55 and 323 is running up to East Grinstead?

18. Jamessquared

Last couple of posts from me before I go to New Zealand. Here are the updates from the Bluebell newsletter.

First, the NEP update from Chris White:

Other posts in the gala thread: http://railways.national-preservati...opening-gala-spring-2013-a-16.html#post537988

Tom

19. tom92240

tom92240 Part of the furniture

Lazy
    The only booked runs so far are on Thursday and Friday, this time with 2 sets booked to depart KC roughly every 45 mins from 9.40am.

There will be 8 departures from KC in all these days, and 2 through trains. And subsequently 10 departures from Grinstead.

20. tom92240

tom92240 Part of the furniture

Lazy
    Sorry to rain on the parade with this but the 9F will be on the Mk1/Bulleid set complete with Teak GN Saloon.