If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Bluebell Motive Power

Discussion in 'Steam Traction' started by Orion, Nov 14, 2011.

1. cct man

cct man Part of the furniture

CONSTRUCTION
    Fair point about the funding, details please Daniel?

Regards
    Chris

2. dhic001

dhic001 Member

Roger Kelly at the railway will be happy to receive your substantial donation...

3. cct man

cct man Part of the furniture

CONSTRUCTION
    Have sent a cheque off today.

Chris:

A1X likes this.
  4. A1X

A1X Well-Known Member

Insurance
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer

Not sure about Stepney but it's certainly not the first time 323 has been involved. During a locomotive crisis in the 1990s there's a shot of the GA being hauled by 323 and 96 Normandy one Sunday.

5. A1X

A1X Well-Known Member

Insurance
    For those who missed it elsewhere, the visit of Tornado as rumoured to be taking place is officially OFF. NR haven't gauged it apparently.

6. Dan Hill

Dan Hill Part of the furniture

Brick Machine Operator
    Just looked on the A1 Trust Facebook page and Graham Langer has said that a maintainence visit is being discussed for August instead and to watch for this space. A shame really as I have tomorrow off so could have seen her arrive on the line.

Would be good to see Tornado on the Bluebell before September 10th and if she is due to haul services if she does turn up then that will be an even bigger boost to the already excellent income generated already this year.

7. Steve B

Steve B Well-Known Member

For those who haven't seen it yet, the loco roster has now been updated for the next few weeks, showing L150 back in service this weekend, 178 next week, and 592 on the Golden Arrow the following Sunday. Well done those who've been working hard to get things going again!

Steve B

Jamessquared likes this.
  8. Matt35027

Matt35027 Well-Known Member

Builder
    Hurrah! After some very testing times the loco dept. are getting things back on track. Well done.

9. 21B

21B Part of the furniture

I'd heard it was gauged, but didn't fit....wonder which version is right.

10. skeggycat

skeggycat New Member

Retired
    Are the gauging issues more likely to be weight issues on the Riddlesdown, Oxted and especially the Cooks Pond Viaduct?
    Steam has in the recent past crossed Riddlesdown and Oxted but not Cooks Pond to my knowledge.

11. Funnell

Funnell New Member

Pullman Steward
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    178 is very unlikely to be ready by then!

12. John Petley

John Petley Part of the furniture

Researcher/writer and composer of classical music
    It would be interesting to know what (and where) the problem is. The Bluebell website says "Unfortunately, owing to a gauging issue on Network Rail, it is not currently possible for Tornado to reach the Bluebell Railway. We hope that these issues can be resolved in the future and that Tornado will be able to visit the line ", which on the face of it suggests that it was gauged but didn't fit. It is interesting that the railway hopes the issue can be resolved. I wonder what that means. Is it a case of grinding off an inch or two from a single platform edge? There has been much speculation on this forum (and elsewhere) as to what will and will not fit between South Croydon and East Grinstead and where the pinch point(s) lie. it looks like we're about to find out. I wonder how far the gauging process went with Britannia before its prang at the North Norfolk.

My guess that Tornado apart, the only locos which are ever likely to be running through to the Bluebell over the NR link at East Grinstead (either on main line excursions or as guests for "Giants of Steam" weekends) would be Bulleids, Britannias, Black Fives, 76084 (when that engine is main line certified) and possibly B1s. Even this list may be a bit hopeful. I'm only basing my guesswork on what can run on other gauge-restricted lines in the South of England, and may be totally wrong, but if, say 46233 turned up at Sheffield Park via the main line, I'd be amazed (although delighted), and as for an A4 or a GWR 4-6-0........

13. 5786Dan

5786Dan New Member

It was mentioned a couple of pages ago that if that if the EG extension was not completed this year then the railway would only run between Sheffield Park and Horsted Keynes. I don't understand why trains would not have run all the way to Kingscote still? Just curious.

Regards,
    Daniel

14. Martin Perry

Martin Perry Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Moderator Friend

It was a condition of the planning permission I believe.

15. 5786Dan

5786Dan New Member

Wow that was quick. Thank you!

16. A1X

A1X Well-Known Member

Insurance
    Yep, the line was only allowed to use Kingscote as a terminus for a set time period which would expire next year (that would be the 20th anniversary of opening, don't know for sure if that is a coincidence of not). Such a deadline has already come and gone and the planning permission was amended. It might have been amended again, especially with an understanding EG council, but then again it may not. There was a restriction on the number of departures per year after 6pm from Kingscote, hence why the line didn't run as late at galas as other lines can. I don't think the same restrictions apply at EG and with KC "closed" trains can run through no problem after this time.

17. Dan Hill

Dan Hill Part of the furniture

Brick Machine Operator
    Looking on The Bluebell Connection DVD last night (a cab ride on the first through train back in March) the viaducts look as though they have enough width for steam but as you mention the viaducts have weight issues resulting in speed restrictions which happens to the Class 66 in the DVD but the carriages were fine so when the loco came off the viaducts it could increase speed.

Wasn't the main concern on here in other threads about the bridge which carries the Redhill to Tonbridge line which on the DVD the Class 66 slows down for.

As I put in my last post here the A1 Trust are meant to be arranging a visit in August according to a member of the trust on their Facebook so we'll see how that works out. Hopefully it happens but not sure what locos we could see on the line will be in the future.

18. Jamessquared

Jamessquared Nat Pres stalwart

The initial planning permission (back in I believe about 1985) was for an extension between Horsted Keynes and East Grinstead, with no intermediate stopping places (even though there were original stations at West Hoathly and Kingscote). As the line extended, each interim "end of the line" (first Horsted House Farm, then New Coombe Bridge, then Kingscote) was allowed under a temporary exemption from the planning condition, but only on the understanding that East Grinstead always remained the ultimate destination. These temporary extensions needed periodic renewal. Hence, if it had ever become obvious that the railway could no longer reach EG (for example, had the landfill tax kicked in before the cutting was cleared, putting that part of the project out of reach financially), then it was possible that the temporary exemptions to stop between HK and EG may not have been renewed, which would have meant cutting operations back to SP - HK. This, incidentally, was one reason for running the KC - EG bus service, even though effectively it was loss making: it was a visible sign of intent that, even before the last two miles of line had been built, we fully intended to operate a service to East Grinstead, not just to Kingscote.

Tom

19. kesbobby

kesbobby Member

Sadly I have to report that the second train of the day from Sheffield Park was initially delayed due to a coach brake problem and the Prairie then died about 300 yards from of Horstead Keynes short of steam. It was eventually coaxed into the station where it was removed and the Class 33 came from SP to take over the duty. The fireman was seen dumping part of the fire (clinker?) onto the track before the prairie was removed by the 33 to the Up Sidings. It subsequently made its own way back to SP light engine.

However, full marks to HK platform staff for their efforts in keeping passengers informed of events.

20. 5786Dan

5786Dan New Member

Thank you all very much for answering my question.

Regards,
    Daniel