If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Bluebell Motive Power

Discussion in 'Steam Traction' started by Orion, Nov 14, 2011.

1. Dan Hill

Dan Hill Part of the furniture

Brick Machine Operator
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Good to see the USA will be going undercover and receiving cosmetic restoration. Have any decisions been made what will be joining the USA in the exhibition part of the ASH project?

2. Jamessquared

Jamessquared Nat Pres stalwart

Yes I am an active volunteer
    Except in the first instance Stepney, no. The idea I think is that ultimately it would be changeable, depending the balance between in traffic, under repair and on display - long-term, locos will move between those categories.

Tom

3. steamvideosnet

steamvideosnet Well-Known Member

A couple of shots of 73082 in action today, taken just outside of Horsted Keynes and running around it's train at Sheffield Park.

73082 Horsted .001.jpg
    73082 SP departure.001.jpg

James

Martin Perry likes this.
  4. Dan Hill

Brick Machine Operator
    Thanks again Tom. Would be nice to see Sharpthorn under cover with Stepney given both Locos history with the line.

Jamessquared likes this.
  5. Jamessquared

Have you ever wanted to work on steam locos? We are always looking to recruit new volunteers into the loco department, particularly new entrants to the operating side. As a new recruit, you would start as a cleaner (which involves not only cleaning, but also regular footplate turns to learn the art of firing). To volunteer, you must be a BRPS member; aged 16 or over; and to progress you would need to pass a medical. If you show suitable aptitude and commitment, you could progress to fireman and ultimately to driver. We can't offer any pay, but in compensation we can offer incomparable variety: on what other railway could you work on an a mid-19th century 0-4-0T industrial tank engine one day, and a BR standard the next? Full training is provided. See http://www.bluebell-railway.co.uk/bluebell/loco_vol.html for more details.

We would encourage anyone interested in joining to attend one of the regular "find out more days" where you will get the opportunity to tour the locomotive department and speak to existing volunteers. The next such day is June 12th - this coming Sunday, and then every second Sunday each month until November 13th (booking required - see http://www.bluebell-railway.co.uk/bluebell/vol/vbbb01.htm). Alternatively, email the Loco Department Cleaners' roster clerk to find out more at bbcleanersroster@aol.com

Tom

Last edited: Jun 6, 2016
  6. 45076

45076 Member

Retired
    I see B473 is not listed on the July loco roster, has it been withdrawn from service or is it just an omission?

7. Dan Hamblin

Dan Hamblin Part of the furniture

Rolling Stock Engineer
    I think it has been withdrawn - photo caption on the Bluebell FB page suggests it has star cracks in the firebox. A stirling performer, hopefully it won't be too long in the overhaul queue.

Regards,

Dan

8. Britfoamer

Britfoamer Well-Known Member

Chemist (semi-retired)
    I had an interesting conversation with a gentleman in the shed at Sheffield Park last Saturday, who I assume is a working member from his continued reference to "we" when talking about the subject of that conversation - 92240. Whilst looking over the machine my wife (knowledgeably) said "that's like Evening Star" and the one we saw recently on the WSR event (92214). Yes said I, but it has the larger tender, and incorrectly, should have the smaller one. At which point the said gentleman who must have been standing behind but within earshot corrected me and insisted that I was wrong, it had run with that tender during it's mainline career, and the tender was correct. No doubt this argument has been aired elsewhere on here (but a search didn't turn up anything for me). I have found several photo's (published, I have none) of 92240 and all have a smaller BRIG style tender, one photo within weeks of being withdrawn. There is no doubt that some tender swapping occurred near the end of steam, several photo's exist of 9F's and Britannia's running with 'wrong' tenders.
    Conversation on the tender was moved on after a few swift digs in the ribs from my wife, a sure signal that I was being too adamant. Apparently, we were informed, the loco is in need of a full overhaul and is not at the head of the queue (according to the gentleman). The ELR has acquired a new loco recently in the shape of soon to be finished 92134, overhauled boiler due from Crewe within a few months. Problem, according to the ELR magazine is that it has no tender. Does someone at Sheffield Park not want to have a word with someone at Buckley Wells with a view to discussing a loan of the said tender? By the way, correct for 92134! Potential win-win situation I think.

9. Matt35027

Matt35027 Well-Known Member

Builder
  10. Jamessquared

11. odc

odc Member

Network Technician at St Albans School
    I remember Beyer Peacock 1827 taking part in the Garrett 50 event at Dinas and despite the NGG16s still being big engines, she still dawafed everything, at least in height and width, not helped by the temporary track being layed with (understandably) no ballast or shoulders and so there being an almost two foot height advantage to start.

12. OldChap

OldChap Member

92240 at Barry with BR1C tender

[​IMG]

Picture source: http://www.penmorfa.com/Barry/92240 9F 2-10-0 at Woodhams.jpg

13. Dan Hill

Brick Machine Operator
    Baxter isn't the only loco in that picture with Bluebell links. Townsend Hook was once resident at Sheffield Park and was the first loco to arrive on the railway albeit the wrong gauge.

Jamessquared likes this.
  14. Jamessquared

Indeed, it was. I think this is probably the first time the three Dorking Greystone locos have been together since 1960.

Tom

15. Dan Hill

Brick Machine Operator
    I think that's what I saw and the first time since 1962 that Townsend Hook and Baxter have been together.

16. Dan Hill

Brick Machine Operator
    Steam Railway are reporting that the Bluebell are trying to get a scheme going where there will always be a Standard 4 tank in steam and that 80064 will enter the works when 80151 is 7 years into its next 10 years ticket.

Wasn't there a rumour a few years back of the Bluebell looking to overhaul 80064 as well as 80151?

17. 61624

61624 Part of the furniture

Where does that leave 80100, though?

18. Dan Hill

Brick Machine Operator
    The article just says it's a longer term project nothing about whether it goes in for restoration after 80064 is overhauled or not. I think only 80100 and 78059 are the only Bluebell based locos which have yet to run in preservation in the line so far (32424 excluded as it's built mostly from scratch where as 78059 is being used as the basis for 84030).

19. Jamessquared

Haven't seen the article to see what it says, but worth remembering that the Long Term Plan says, in part:

'Five "large" locomotives (class 3 and above) - ideally:
    [...]
    Ideally at least one to be a tank locomotive.'

Which realistically means that having one of the Std 4s in traffic all the time is the way to meet that aspiration (unless Beachy Head is followed by a J or L, I suppose!)

Tom

20. dan.lank

dan.lank Member

Sharpthorn as well, but not quite the same level of usefulness ;-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk