If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Beyer Garratt Boilers

Discussion in 'Steam Traction' started by Corbs, Mar 4, 2015.

1. Corbs

Corbs Well-Known Member

Hello, I have a question about Garratt design for anyone who may know.

I've seen examples of Garratts with both round top and belpaire fireboxes, but one thing that remains constant is a parallel boiler design.
    Is there a reason (greater heating surface area, weight distribution?) why tapered boilers were never fitted to this design? Was it part of the patent, or just preference?

Many thanks in advance.

C

2. meeee

meeee Member

At a guess i would say most Garratts have short fat boilers in order to reduce the length between the bogie pivots. This would be essential to keep the loco within the loading gauge on curves and also help reduce the length of the steam pipes. As well of this there are few restrictions on the size of the firebox. I expect that the shortness of the boilers and large firebox means there is little to be gained from tapering the boiler. It would however add to the cost, which is usually what it all comes down to.
    Tim

Corbs likes this.
  3. Eightpot

Eightpot Resident of Nat Pres Friend

Engineer Emeritus
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    I think you will find that generally speaking short, fat boilers are better steam generators than long, thin ones. Examples:- Gresley K3 (good) , DR Class 45 original (bad).

Corbs likes this.
  4. Corbs

Corbs Well-Known Member

5. Corbs

Corbs Well-Known Member

For anyone interested, I also dug out this thread on taper vs. parallel boilers, now I better understand the weight saving at the front, which would be a disadvantage on a BG as it takes weight off the front engine.
    http://www.lner.info/forums/viewtopic.php?t=675

6. Fireman Dave

Fireman Dave New Member

My understanding is that tapered boilers are used to reduce the volume of water at the smokebox end of the boiler on account of the cooling of the gasses passing through the tubes. Garratt boilers are generally shorter and fatter, so this isn't really a problem.