If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Belgian Two Foot Gauge

Discussion in 'Narrow Gauge Railways' started by Purple Emperor, Aug 25, 2015.

1. Purple Emperor

Purple Emperor New Member

Pairi Daiza
    A new approximately 2.5 kilometre 600mm line has been constructed to go around most of this zoo park. Work is still continuing on the infrastructure and the large engine shed/museum. There are two rakes of four very impressive coaches delivered from Alan Keef and, at the moment, two steam engines. These were both in service on a very hot and sunny Saturday, 22 August 2015. Polish 0-6-0 Chrz. 3297/1954 and Feldbahn Sena 15 – this newly purchased from the UK. The Polish engine was overhauled at the North Norfolk Railway and another 0-6-0 Henschal is soon to follow. A Faur diesel is at Alan Keef’s and will become a standby engine.
    On the occasion of my visit the train service commenced at 11.30am and packed trains were being dispatched at 15 minute intervals. Despite the valiant efforts of the train crew little impact was made on the lengthening queue for the 3 Euro ride. I was fortunate to be invited to ride in the guard’s veranda at the rear of the train pulled by Sena 15.
    There are many good video/photo opportunities, the best being the steep grade up from the lagoons to the hippo enclosure. The engines being required to work flat out on this section and reduced to walking pace at the top.
    The zoo is an easy 15 minute signposted walk from Cambron-Casteau station. Zoo entry fee for me was 27 Euros – and well worth it!
    Bakkersmolen
    Here a 600mm line goes round a very impressive windmill. It is only a short loop and is worked on Sundays by Polish 0-6-0 Chrz.1625/1953. I was here on Sunday 23rd August, there is no admission fee and 1625 was working almost continuously doing four circuits at a time at a cost of 2 Euros. Despite the small site there are video/photo shots to be had, including elevated views from the windmill. The two open sided coaches were never very full – the main attraction here being the excellent restaurant. The mill is a 15 minute walk from Wildert station.
    Keith Hall

kscanes, 5944 and Martin Perry like this.