If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Baldwin "Lyn" new build.

Discussion in 'Narrow Gauge Railways' started by Meiriongwril, Jan 25, 2009.

1. mgp

mgp New Member

As just one of the many people who gave money towards the 'recreation' of LYN, to me Paul's final paragraph is an excellent summary of how I feel about the lococomotive!

Mike Pearce

2. Leafent

Leafent New Member

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    I thought a pretty big one is the boiler fittings and controls in the cab - stainless steel and modern off the shelf stuff.

3. Meatman

Meatman Member

LYN is in the correct shade of green, maybe not for the L&BR as argued by some but most definitely for the PMRC, chosen no doubt by the chairman,, for his railway

4. Meiriongwril

Meiriongwril Member

Har har, you're really very funny....

5. Martin Perry

Martin Perry Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Moderator Friend

All of which assumes of course that the originals looked identical at the time and that there was no variation in paint batches or differing paint fade.
    Not so sure personally that it either matters or can be conclusively proven either way.

Bluenosejohn, Paul42, ghost and 3 others like this.
  6. Jamessquared

Jamessquared Nat Pres stalwart

Indeed. In any case, modern paints - which weather primarily due to exposure to UV - tend to get lighter with age, whereas historically weathering tended to be due to lead-based pigments absorbing atmospheric sulphur causing paints to darken with age. Even if you could get the colour “right” when painted, there’s no guarantee that after, say, three years it would look like the original did after three years.

Tom

michaelh, 30854, oddsocks and 12 others like this.
  7. Meatman

Meatman Member

I suggest a lot of you should get down to Devon for a month or so with your ears to the ground. You might actually have your eyes opened with a dose of reality. Sat miles away, taking in what you're being fed, most of you don't seem to have a clue

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 9, 2018
    sycamore and keith6233 like this.
  8. ghost

ghost Part of the furniture

At the risk of stirring up a hornet's nest, perhaps you could enlighten us then please?
    Obviously I am asking for something you can actually prove, not just your opinion of certain actions/decisions.

I would be interested in reading the evidence, if it exists.

Keith

andrewshimmin likes this.
  9. Meatman

Meatman Member

Like I said get down here and find out for yourselves, it's not my opinion it's what others are actually saying, I'm not naming names as that has gotten me moderated on exmoor NG, if you want to think I'm making it up thats fine, carry on with your rose tinted glasses

10. 35B

35B Nat Pres stalwart

No I do not currently volunteer
    I have no rose tinted glasses for this one, but am also uncomfortable about the way that potshots are being taken. As an outsider, I'm uneasy at the way potshots are being taken at personalities, but with very little to get hold of in terms of hard comment about the issues under debate. As I don't know the individuals in question, I have no interest in names.

11. ghost

You may have noticed beside my name that I am in N.Ireland - it's not exactly handy to just 'get down here'. It's also quite expensive - I don't have a stash of money to travel to Devon just to see if you or the L&B are in the right.
    I don't have rose tinted spectacles, all I'm asking is for you to back up your claims (and as @35B says, no-one has asked for names). If you can't do that then I'm inclined not to believe your allegations - that's normally how these things work. If you want people to support your point of view then you need to convince them that you are right and 'the other guy' is wrong. Or are we going down the Snailbeach route again were you need to blindly believe everything you're being told without question?

Keith

12. Big Al

Big Al Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Moderator

Let's be clear. This is not the place to grind axes. It seems that @Meatman has joined NP to comment on this thread. He/She is most welcome to do so. But NP works best on hard evidence and some of the rhetoric so far is not ideal.

It would be good for everyone to be mindful of tone when posting on here.

13. Old Kent Biker

Old Kent Biker Member

ex IT Consultant
    Andy, the PMRC is not, as you well know, an actuality, but I do understand what you're alluding to. There is much information about the design, build and decision-making processes for LYN on their website blog - LYNformation. Unfortunately, I can't remember exactly which editions cover livery*, but I'm sure you'll be able to find it somewhere in the 60 editions - and much more besides. Follow the link in my signature...

Speaking as a member of the 762 Club:
    # Did we make mistakes? - Yes, a few.

# Would we do things differently another time? - Undoubtedly, it was a steep learning curve at times.

# Are we pleased with what we have achieved bringing LYN to life? - YOU BET WE ARE!

* [Update - see https://762club.com/762lynformation42.php for something about the livery choice]

Last edited: Aug 9, 2018
  14. johnofwessex

johnofwessex Resident of Nat Pres

Thorn in my managers side
    PMRC?

MellishR likes this.
  15. ghost

I assume this is an acronym for Peter miles railway company - a not so subtle dig at the chairman of the l&b and also I think chairman of the 762 club

Keith

16. Red5

Red5 New Member

Watching and hearing Lyn pull four original coaches into Woody Bay last September was the most amazing sight the L&B has had, so far. The colour of Lyn is correct for this engine, and I would think as close as possible to the original.

Looking at what has been achieved so far, no real reason for axe grinding!

17. Old Kent Biker

Old Kent Biker Member

ex IT Consultant
    It would appear to be.

... and as Chairman, whilst he does occasionally use executive power when necessary, all decisions are subject to scrutiny by the directors and trustees, and every year, by all members at the AGM. Also, any member can put themselves forward for this or other posts. The whole process is very transparent. More so than many organisations in this sector, as I understand it.

Not an official L&B post - just my own personal experience - I even stood myself once! :)

Axe +1 and ghost like this.
  18. Old Kent Biker

Old Kent Biker Member

ex IT Consultant
    That was pretty impressive, but as they say: "you ain't seen nothin' yet!"

LYN will be the star attraction at the Ffestiniog & Welsh Highland Railways Super Power Gala, September 14th – 16th.

LYN will be hauling special trains between Caernarfon and Rhyd Ddu on the northern end of the WHR.

Following that weekend away, the inaugural double-heading of two iconic L&B locos - 762 LYN and 190 LYD - will take place at Woody Bay during the L&B Autumn Gala, September 29th - 30th, marking the 83rd anniversary of the railway's closure.

Two more amazing sights and fantastic milestones to celebrate! :)

andrewshimmin likes this.
  19. Meatman

Meatman Member

and he is in charge of heritage and chairman of the cic dont forget and until May i believe managing director of the cic,a post which has now been past to Jon Pain to alleviate anxieties within the day to day running of the railway,talk about strangle hold of jobs at the top !!!..and now having to contend with keeping the process of the extension,fundraising and the blackmoor project all under control,what a busy life he must lead,also im led to believe an interest in another railway and holding in the reigns at chelfam,even though a project manager,who is more than capable may i add,has been appointed there and just to add,although i may have called it the pmrc,similar phrases are quoted by many people

20. Glenmutchkin

Glenmutchkin Member

Wow! That's a very long sentence.