If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

B473 (Birch Grove)

Discussion in 'Steam Traction' started by John Petley, Nov 9, 2009.

1. Orion

Orion Well-Known Member

Pensioner!
    There is another argument to be had on the issue of historical accuracy. It is an historical truth that neither the the LNWR obo or the GNR Directors Saloon actually ran on the Southern or on any of its constituents; but ... it is also an historical truth that the northern companies did run carriages to the south coast. Indeed the LNW, Midland, LMS, GWR and LNER ran complete trains to the south coast resorts from the northern and midlands cities during the summer periods and some of those trains ran all year round. Other companies, the LYR for example, ran through coaches to the south coast from the east Lancashire cotton towns.

Part of the problem here is the contemporary perception that the current railway, with its penchant for fixed formations, is run as the railway was pre-group, pre-nationalisation and pre-Beeching. Not so; the historical railway was much more interesting than that and although the actual types of non-Southern coach the Bluebell has are non-prototypical, it was not at all unusual to find Southern olive green with teak or plum and spilt milk running behind a Southern engine. There are numerous photos which show this to be true.

In running these two coaches the Bluebell, it could be argued, is following the 'spirit' if not the letter of the historical railway.

Sorry of this proves to be controversial, it's not intended as such.

Regards

2. Rumpole

Rumpole Part of the furniture

Tea-Maker
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    I'm afraid the GNR Obo did run on the Southern (or at least the Southern Region) for a time, during the Bournemouth electrification it was added to the rear of a Bomo service for certain people to inspect the ongoing work; I have a photo (not mine, so I can't publish it) of the Obo sat at Winchester during this time.

3. Orion

Orion Well-Known Member

Pensioner!
    Can't you publish with an attribution?

Regards

4. Spamcan81

Spamcan81 Nat Pres stalwart

Training moles
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Equally rakes of SR stock would find themselves way off of SR metals through reciprocal workings. IIRC there was at least one working in BR days that saw green Southern Region stock work at least as far as Leicester on the GC behind a GW 4-6-0. The steam railway wasn't all uniform rakes behind matching locos as you rightly point out.

5. pmh_74

pmh_74 Well-Known Member

The stock went beyond Leicester - the service was Bournmouth - York. Leicester was simply the point at which the engine was usually changed.

One of the GC books has a photo of a class 37 diesel hauling a rake of Bulleid coaches through Catesby tunnel, if memory serves correctly.

This is getting a bit off topic for this thread though...

Phil

6. tom92240

tom92240 Part of the furniture

Lazy
    An example of this would be Bulleid SO S1482S, which ended its career as Sc1482S from 1966 to 1969 and then became a mess facility at Bellahouston Carriage sheds, Glasgow. As a result, upon arrival on the Bluebell in March 1973 it ran in its Maroon livery and Scottish number!

On a side note, if we had the time and money i'm sure a couple of people wouldn't mind painting GN Saloon 43909 into BR Maroon to help it blend in abit better :D:D:D

7. Orion

Orion Well-Known Member

Pensioner!
    Not I would imagine members of 'The Howlden Trust'.

The last train departure from Manchester Central station before it closed in 1967 seems to have been made up of green Southern Region stock.

'pmh_74' is right though, we are way off the thread!

Regards

8. Matt35027

Matt35027 Well-Known Member

Builder
    No I do not currently volunteer
  9. PiliPili

PiliPili New Member

You might want to check Tom's signature ;-)

Pil

10. dgraw

dgraw New Member

Well I can't contribute much but at the park on Saturday I heard that it is something under the dome that is the only real problem and she is due one more brake test and is then away set for a re - launch to traffic on the 16th, and that the day is purely a one train service plus the relaunch to traffic.
    Hope this can help.

11. Orion

Orion Well-Known Member

Pensioner!
    I'm aware of 'Tom92240's role in 'The Howlden Trust'.

Regards

12. Matt35027

Builder
    Official notice from the Bluebell Website:
    In view of the uncertainty about the weather next weekend, it has been decided to put the re-launch of B473 (LBSCR E4 "Birch Grove") back to 30th January. Consequent update to the Loco Roster.

13. Matt35027

Builder
  14. LN850

LN850 Member

Sleeping beauty has awoken!

15. LN850

LN850 Member

Just to let you all know, that birch grove has been undergoing loaded test runs this week. My grandpa said he saw is stop in West Hoathly station site (no photos as he didnt have time to get it) for a while. An engineer got out and examined the front wheelset. Dome cover still isnt on.

But he said the aintwork looks good.

All looking good
    James

16. Matt35027

Builder
    For her re-launch this weekend she will be hauling the three Maunsell Coaches and the SECR Hundred Seater

17. LN850

LN850 Member

yes it says on the website. Shame the luggage vans not being used.

18. LN850

LN850 Member

Stop Press - B473 Launch - Saturday 30th January
    Our newly overhauled LBSCR E4-class loco will be relaunched into service on Saturday, with a ceremony at 2pm at Horsted Keynes.

The special train that afternoon will be formed of four coaches in matching Southern Railway livery, and is principally intended for the volunteers and staff who have worked on the project, and our invited guests. However, 80 seats in ex-SECR carriage No.1098 will be available to the public on a first-come - first-served basis. The train will leave Horsted Keynes at 2.45pm for a round trip of the line, and tickets (at normal all-line return fare) can be booked by ringing our Sales and Information office on 01825 720800.

The special train will then leave Sheffield Park at 3.30 for Kingscote, leaving there at 4.30, returning to Horsted Keynes at 4.45 and then back to Sheffield Park. A special evening train for all working members (i.e. Volunteers and Staff) will also run.

B473 will also haul these matching coaches in public service on Sunday 31st January. Timetable service 2 will be in operation for the public services.

19. Matt35027

Builder
  20. Matt35027

Builder