If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Avon Valley Railway Updates and Videos

Discussion in 'Heritage Railways & Centres in the UK' started by Corbs, May 15, 2013.

1. The Dainton Banker

The Dainton Banker Well-Known Member

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    But he said "a bit like the WSR, but has the advantage that it doesn't wash its dirty linen on this forum" which I took to imply that mentioning financial difficulties was "washing dirty linen". Perhaps I misunderstood; no doubt Simon will clarify for us. :)

2. simon

simon Resident of Nat Pres

Washing dirty linen was a reference to the WSR thread where all and sundry seem to take delight in exposing all that they feel was, is, and will be wrong with the WSR.

In contrast, the members of the AVR seem to refrain from such behaviour, much to their credit.

I have a soft spot for the AVR having been a founder member and wish it well.

Devonbelle and scarle like this.
  3. simon

See response above.

4. scarle

scarle New Member

Why permanently?

Grumpy gramps likes this.
  5. Fireline

Fireline Well-Known Member

Yes I am an active volunteer
    Who is going to overhaul it, out of their own pockets, then not want to use it? A Barry rebuild is much more expensive than an overhaul, so you are looking at at least 2 tickets to pay that off. Ah, but then there's another overhaul to pay for....

scarle and jnc like this.
  6. Corbs

Corbs Well-Known Member

I believe that the group owning 44123 have been restoring (almost building from scratch) the tender first, which has the opportunity to be hired out to other groups who have a loco but no tender, and thus raising money for the loco restoration. There is only so much covered workspace at Bitton and the tender restoration in the shed is going well.

7. Steve

Steve Resident of Nat Pres Friend

Gentleman of leisure, nowadays
    Just wondering which loco groups are likely to want to hire a Fowler tender?

8. Corbs

Corbs Well-Known Member

9. Forestpines

Forestpines Well-Known Member

I wandered past today and noticed the state of the track East of Bitton, but I do think the AVR is at a bit of a drawback here: with the long straight stretch, with path alongside, every dipped joint and other track wobble is immediately obvious to passers-by. Other railways may well have the same problems, for all I know, but you can't just look along the line and spot them!

Here's a very-zoomed-in snapshot of the stretch in question:

IMG_20190217_170618_789.jpg

Incidentally, if anyone likes indiscriminate bargains, the second-hand-junk coach at Bitton is apparently offering their entire stock of railway books for £110 at the moment, because they have just too many.

10. Talking to Bears 00

Talking to Bears 00 New Member

DMU Week at the Avon Valley Railway The Diesel Multiple Units British Rail Class 107 No. 52006 & 52025, being pulled by Ruston Hornsby 0-6-0 No.429 River Annan.

Thanks to all involved had a great day :)

Ruston 1 DMU Week 17.02.19.jpg Ruston 2 DMU Week 17.02.19.jpg Ruston 3 DMU Week 17.02.19.jpg

11. free2grice

free2grice Part of the furniture Friend

Retired Rolls-Royce engineer
    Corbs and Bluenosejohn like this.
  12. free2grice

13. scarle

scarle New Member

Surely if an opportunity comes along, you take advantage of it regardless? So long as the PR machine is doing its bit which it must have as you’ve clocked it, it has to be a good thing. As it is also in aid of a specific cause it should be recognised and hopefully you’ll come along and support the cause by having a ride.
    Credit must be given to the event organiser who is a youngster and should be encouraged.

MattA likes this.
  14. Adam-Box

Adam-Box Member

I’m not sure what other people think about this, but personally I find timetables start and finish with the terminus of the line unnecessarily confusing, other examples of this include the Dean Forest Railway and the Bodmin & Wenford. Are there any benefits I’m missing?

MattA and D8568 like this.
  15. flying scotsman123

flying scotsman123 Resident of Nat Pres

Likewise, I'd far rather half a column was left blank at the beginning and end of the day.

Adam-Box likes this.
  16. Adam-Box

Adam-Box Member

17. free2grice

If one of your volunteers hadn't told me about it I would not have known. That's why I searched for the event on the AVR website.

Each year the railway organises an excellent Autumn Steam Gala but again there's no mention of it on the timetable.

Whenever an AVR event is about to take place I post the gen on the local South West Rail Gen. I regularly receive replies from folk saying that it's the first that they've heard of it.

Come on Avon Valley Railway. If you're about to organise a gala shout about it from the roof tops so that everyone knows about it.

Good luck with the Industrial Mixed Traffic gala. <BJ>

18. simon

Trains start from Bitton, head for Oldland and then the engine runs round and then the train heads to the other end of the line passing through Button on the way. A further run round and the train returns to Bitton. That is a complete journey and is covered by a return ticket. Hence the layout in the timetable. I guess you could also board the train as it enters Button from Oldland and continue toward Bath and then go to Oldland and then back to Bitton.

19. theonlyadsrulz

theonlyadsrulz Member

With regards to the Industrial Mixed Traffic Gala, it was a late addition to the timetable after the paper timetables had already been printed, hence why it appears online but not in the paper timetable. We've been doing our best to publicise on Facebook (mostly the organiser writing posts and myself posting them) so hopefully we've got the word out there sufficiently. While yes I am a Trustee, I also have a full time job that requires my attention eight hours a day most days of the week, so while I do my best to get the word out there, we do rely on others to spread the word!

As for an Autumn Gala, the reason it isn't in the timetable is because we aren't having one this year! All of our efforts are going into the 150th Anniversary at the beginning of August, so we hope many will enjoy what we have to offer. Planning continues, though there are certain difficulties with organising a major event in the middle of the summer holidays!

Robkitchuk and MattA like this.
  20. SpudUk

SpudUk Well-Known Member

Project Manager
    How is it confusing?