If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Auld Reekie 3/03/19

Discussion in 'What's Going On' started by Victor, Feb 25, 2019.

1. Spamcan81

Spamcan81 Nat Pres stalwart

Training moles
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    I'm sure the DPS and DBC will appreciate your expert views on this. Perhaps they should employ you as an advisor. :rolleyes:

2. Big Al

Big Al Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Moderator

No I do not currently volunteer
    Sorry but that is a ridiculous comment and unnecessary. Speaking for myself, I have no idea of the complexity of diesel engines and in the case of a Deltic what you may need to do to test one thoroughly. Everything I've read suggests that the loco was tested properly by all concerned but it was just that what happened might only have manifest itself under particular conditions and that might not have been part of the test. Who knows? Either way it's sad for the DPS and was inconvenient for DBC and passengers.

What we do know is that Tornado seems to have been given a thorough test run and all was good on the day.

Oakfield53 and Matt37401 like this.
  3. GWR4707

GWR4707 Nat Pres stalwart

Are you seriously suggesting that DBC were not aware of the test processes required to run the locomotive reliably on the main line, that's rather damning of the operator?

Cambrian55 likes this.
  4. Big Al

Big Al Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Moderator

No, but if the above set of more informed posts are accurate it seems that testing has to take many forms and on Sunday everything was fine up to about 85 mph on full power with 400 tons and then it wasn't.

Anyway, this debate can go on elsewhere for those interested.

Oakfield53 likes this.
  5. 30567

30567 Part of the furniture Friend

Thank goodness the AR made it to the passing places at Drem and Dunbar and then up the hill to Grantshouse. In the mix there was a sliver of good fortune.

6. Oswald T Wistle

Oswald T Wistle Well-Known Member Friend

ESI Eng Manager (Retd)
    Perhaps you can help me with a couple of points. What speed should/did the first stage of field divert cut in? How would you recognise the point at which divert occurs?

7. kylerona

kylerona New Member

When a Deltic is running on two power units, there should be two field diverts at approximately 52 and 78mph. When running on just one power unit there should be three field diverts at around 28, 40 and 56mph. These figures assume that the Deltic locomotive is running correctly, and on full power for the number of power units selected. If running at a slower engine speed (i.e. not on full power) then the field divert speeds will increase.

Source: Deltic De-Mythology by Ian Strange, 2005, p12 para 6.

When listening to a Deltic accelerating, the field diverts can usually be heard as a momentary dip in the engine tone. Typically lasts no more than about 2 seconds.

8. Oswald T Wistle

ESI Eng Manager (Retd)
    Thanks for that. I didn’t know if there was anything that might appear in the gps data, from what you say, probably not - I looked and there wasn’t.

9. Sean Emmett

Sean Emmett Member

Have been busy so taken a while to type up the logs, but here goes
    (1) 60163 Doncaster to Leeds

A gentle start from Donny, max of 61 in the dip after the former station at Hemsworth falling to 56 on the 1:150 past Fitzwilliam. Main interest was of course the climb after Wakefield Westgate. This can be tricky even for the class 91 electrics and perhaps we were fortunate to have the benefit of a dry rail before the arrival of storm Freya.

Ian Allan shows this a couple of miles of 1:100 through Westgate, an easing to 1:280 for a quarter mile before Lofthouse/Outwood then resuming to a mile and a quarter at 1:122 to just before the former station at Ardsley.

Other more detailed sources show a climb varying at 1:110/164/440/134/94/107/112/144/78/230. Take your pick!

If the more detailed source is correct then this gives an average gradient of 1:131 for the 3.18 miles from the former Wrenthorpe North Jn to former Ardsley station. Tornado accelerated the train from 34 to 45 mph, suggesting 1,635 edhp.

A quick search of the RPS archive showed this outshines all previous steam runs with a comparable load.

Attached Files:

10. Sean Emmett

Sean Emmett Member

The short hop from Leeds to York produced this. Nice getaway from Leeds and I reckon 1,743 edhp on the 1:162/158 past Crossgates. Then checked by the Bradford - York stopper and possible a clearance slack at Garforth?

Attached Files:

11. Sean Emmett

Sean Emmett Member

(3) 60163 York to Durham and Newcastle.
    After the water stop in P11 at York we had smooth and steady restart, in fact I didn't detect a slip all day, and Tornado worked up to 70 before easing for the crossover to the slow at Tollerton.
    Power outputs:-
    - 1,597 edhp past Skelton Bridge Jn
    - 1,471 recovering from the signal check at Thirsk
    - 1,593 on the 1:232 past Aycliffe

Attached Files:

12. Sean Emmett

Sean Emmett Member

(4) 60163 Newcastle to Edinburgh
    So after the water stop at Durham we had a run through Newcastle at slow speed before things picked up after Heaton, with Tornado registering 1,627 edhp past Benton.

As I said on the day, the 1:170 Longhoughton bank was taken well in its stride, speed falling from 73 through Alnmouth and over the Aln Viaduct to 66 at Howick, suggesting 1,658 edhp. Again, this seems to outshine historic steam runs in the RPS archive with such a load, although I suspect Tornado and maybe other locos have done better in preservation?

We took water in the Berwick down loop, with an initial pause in 83m 10s after leaving Durham and a final stop alongside the tanker in 85m 18s.

Another good restart on the 1:190 past the border registering 1,764 edhp, although I'm relying on Ian Allan for the gradients here and I suspect the front of the train was off the 1:190 and onto easier grades at my timing point at Cowdrait underbridge, so this output may be a tad high.

The Kings Cross - Edinburgh class 91 that was booked to overtake us at Grantshouse was cancelled beyond Newcastle, so we had a clear run through, but Tornado was not extended at all and I haven't bothered calculating the power output.

We were held at Drem waiting time to follow the unit from North Berwick. A pity as with a clear road we wouldn't have held it up and it appears our platform at Waverley would have been ready for us.

So a successful return for Tornado with restrained (for this loco) power outputs in the 1,600 - 1,700 edhp range.

I'll try and make some sense of the Deltic on the return later in the week.

Attached Files:

W.Williams, Sheff, 30567 and 3 others like this.
  13. dublo6231

dublo6231 Member

IT
    Thank you for all of these logs Sean - added to all of the Photos and Videos taken on the day, and the reports of the tour on this thread, it really adds that final level of detail to accompany it all. Great to see Tornado back out and running on the mainline after her lengthy sojourn. Will you be on-board the Border Raider in Mid-April?

Sean Emmett likes this.
  14. Sean Emmett

Sean Emmett Member

Thanks.

I believe I was booked on a border raider that became a Christmas border raider now a near Easter border raider. Had better check!

Shame its not doing a full reverse of the Sep 2017 run. That would be some tour!

15. kylerona

kylerona New Member

Thanks Sean. I suspect that the Automatic Route Setting (ARS) might have been responsible for 'automatically' routeing the North Berwick stopper out at Drem ? I guess you'd have to be a brave signaller these days to override the ARS, to allow Tornado to run fast into the Waverley.

I was trying to log the Deltic run, whilst at the same time eating my soup (and also trying to get to grips with using my phone as my primary GPS for the first time!).

The departure from the Waverley by Deltic 9 was excellent by modern driver standards, and I think that the driver actually had to ease slightly not to exceed the 40mph limit through the station throat before Carlton tunnel. The speed profile along the ECML in Scotland is much improved these days for a Deltic, with 70mph in the tunnel, and then 70/85mph and then 90mph from just 1m41c. Then 95mph from just passed Portobello Jcn.

I recorded 77 at Portobello Jcn at 17:24:00 and 84 at Monktonhall Jcn at 17:25:55. Although I was having some issues locating myself in the dark and eating soup, whilst facing backwards. At least we no longer have to strain our eyes for non-existent mileposts !

I am guessing that the Deltic flashover occurred somewhere between Montonhall Jcn and Wallyford. We were certainly coasting as we passed Prestonpans, as there is a useful YouTube video. There is also a fine storming YouTube video at Musselburgh where No. 9 looks like she's on full power and accelerating hard.

A tradgedy that the flashover occurred, as this run had started out extremely positively. That 1 hour 30 mins start to stop timing suddenly looked achievable, if the LNER trains didn't get in the way. Was Waverley box entering into the spirit by putting the 16:20? ex-EDB to KX into the loop at Drem (they could have parked it on the up fast where we eventually stopped). This train had been stopped as (presumably) the driver of the 16:00? ex-EDB had reported something on the OHLE further along.

We look forward to your analysis of the (brief) Deltic run.

<edit to fix typo in timing and correct final sentence>

Last edited: Mar 14, 2019
  16. Oswald T Wistle

ESI Eng Manager (Retd)
    Thanks for all the information, I can only guess at the amount of time involved in producing the logs. It is reassuring (for me) that my GPS recorded identical speeds at the fewer locations that I checked. To get the speeds at various locations I use software that superimposes the GPS track on a map and this shows the location, time, distance travelled and speed for each point/segment. If it is not betraying any secrets may I ask how you do it?

Your assessment of edhps shows that Tornado was producing the necessary power but operating well within her comfort zone. It was a good route for a comeback trip, I am sure that the A1SLT must have been pleased to complete the trip with no problems. Bring on the S&C and Shap.

17. Oswald T Wistle

ESI Eng Manager (Retd)
    I was in the second coach, facing forward and no soup! I agree with your speeds at Portobello and Monktonhall Jn, being nearer the front I arrived a little before you (I suspect a typo Portobello Jn 17:24:00?). I recorded a max of 87 about 3/4 mile beyond Monktonhall Jn just as we were starting the climb 1/300r towards Prestonpans. From the max speed fell away steadily, how much was caused by the gradient and how much from when the fault occurred is difficult to quantify. By Wallyford we were back to 80 and down to 69 at Prestonpans - damage done! Disappointing after such a promising start. I wish Alycidon's custodians good luck in carrying out the necessary repairs.

18. Victor

Victor Nat Pres stalwart Friend

Retired
    [QUOTE="Oswald T Wistle, post: 2400825, member: 20463" By Wallyford we were back to 80 and down to 69 at Prestonpans - damage done! Disappointing after such a promising start. I wish Alycidon's custodians good luck in carrying out the necessary repairs.[/QUOTE]

Don't we all. It was a real sickener for everybody when it was declared a failure. I've been thinking, how the hell would Mr & Mrs V (both too close to 80 years old), how would we have coped when it was announced 'No Leeds and Wakefield stops'.

19. Where's Mazeppa?

Where's Mazeppa? Member

Yes I am an active volunteer
    Very informative update on the Deltic Preservation Society website (http://thedps.co.uk/) released today reads as follows.......

"On 03/03/2019, whilst working the return leg of the A1 Trust’s “Auld Reekie” Charter, DPS class 55 loco D9009 Alycidon appears to have suffered from a high voltage power surge, which has damaged No2 generator and all six traction motors of the fully freshly overhauled cast bogies that were being run in under Alycidon whilst D9009′s own fabricated bogies are awaiting repair.

The cast bogies are intended to help complete 55015 to mainline standards and investigations into this event (which was not a flash over but an instant arcing across the brush boxes on the TMs to the frames and 1 generator brush box to frame) are ongoing.

Initially, speaking with industry electrical experts, the voltage to damage all six motors in one strike must have been equivalent to the loco being struck by lightning. The loco at the time was travelling at around 85 mph keeping to booked time and on medium amps of around 1100. At the time of the incident a blanket ban was in place on the movement of electric traction on the route as there was an ongoing OHLE incident in place. Conditions on the day were deteriorating wind and rain.

As most Deltic enthusiasts will be aware, Alycidon has had a 100% charter delivery record over the last 8 years and it is a great disappointment that this now leaves (hopefully temporarily) no Deltic option for the immediate future on charters. We are currently working with our charter providers on the best way to resolve this particularly with Pathfinder & May 11th charter in mind.

The DPS, as always, wish to thank all those involved with and who support the society and the three locos, we hope to have Alycidon repaired as soon as possible, however, this takes time and money, which having spent since 2012 working towards and raising funds for overhauled bogies now needs a fresh appeal. Anyone wishing to donate to help the volunteers return Alycidon to service please drop a line to chairman@thedps.co.uk, your help to do this would be much appreciated."

(Ends)

Having booked on Pathfinder's 11th May "Harrogate and Humber Deltic Reprise", and looking forward enormously to a very full day's outing with Alycidon for all the same reasons and with all the same affections as previously expressed by Victor, The Green Howards, and others, I can only hope that the endeavours of DPS and the charter providers prove to be successful.

20. 30567

30567 Part of the furniture Friend