If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

August Issue outlined

Discussion in 'The Railway Magazine' started by RM Staff, Jun 27, 2008.

1. RM Staff

RM Staff New Member

After another session burning midnight oil to complete the August-dated issue which is due to be on the bookshelves on Wednesday 2 July.

On the cover is 70013 Oliver Cromwell and there is a free cover-mounted DVD.

It's contents include:

News

• First exclusive pictures of Scots Guardsman on the main line for the first time in more than 25 years
    • First pictures of the Fastline Class 66s in the UK
    • How the cost of fuel is creating a a volunteer crisis at heritage lines

Features

• Eight pages of unpublished images from the master of black & white photogaphy, Colin T. Gifford
    • The Story of 1968 - a chronology of the final run-down of steam, and the other key things that happened in 1968 that we may have forgotten
    * BR's Last Passenger Express Engines - A Practice & Performance special on Jubilees on the Settle & Carlisle
    • Photographing the 15 Guinea Special - one persons recollection of the last day of steam
    • In-fill electrification - how small in-fill electrification schemes would make the network more flexible
    plus your usual features and great photos.

And there is a free 16-page programme for the Carnforth open day. Even if you are not planning to go to the weekend, it contains the fascinating story of Carnforth from the construction of the first steam depot there to operations today.

2. green five

green five Resident of Nat Pres

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    I have to say this sounds like a very good issue indeed \:D/ I hope it comes early again like last months issue. Last month was the first time ever that my RM actually came in the post before it was out in the shops!

3. simon

simon Resident of Nat Pres

I have to say I was very impressed with the August edition compared with some other offerings.

4. RM Staff

RM Staff New Member

Thanks for that - I hope we continue to impress.

5. green five

green five Resident of Nat Pres

I agree with that. Good coverage and a different approach.

6. dace83

dace83 Well-Known Member

becuase of all the carnforth stuff and free dvd i bought the RM for the first time, very good indeed.

7. RM Staff

RM Staff New Member

Delighted you were impressed and I hope you will continue to buy it, and maybe consider a subscription.

There should be some offers on subscriptions on the stand at Carnforth.

The Editor Nick Pigott, chief correspondent Phil Marsh, and myself will be around on both days should anyone want a chat.

8. Alberta 45562

Alberta 45562 Part of the furniture

Train Simulator Developer
    Brillant mag this month really enjoyed it compared to the other offerings.
    Cheers,
    Mark

9. RM Staff

RM Staff New Member

Thanks for the comments, Alberta. Very much appreciated.

We have a few other surprises in the pipeline too, but more of that in a few weeks, perhaps.

10. Guest

Guest Guest

[-( Do those other surprises include MORE digitally altered images like the one allegedly depicting TWO banked steam-hauled freights in THE SAME BLOCK SECTION between Tebay and Scout Green? (see page 21)
    This is deception of the highest order!!
    Not only did that NEVER occur - but Mr Flinders has significantly failed to inform us that the two trains are actually ONE AND THE SAME!
    A magnifying glass will reveal that the dead locomotive behind the Black Five (described as a Standard 4-6-0, but actually an LMS Ivatt 2-6-0 en-route to a Scottish scrapyard) is in the consist of BOTH trains! HOW CAN THAT POSSIBLY BE???
    If further proof is required, I am personally aware that many photographers were in the immediate vicinity that same day and none of these other people managed to achieve such a 'lucky' shot! Indeed, both Paul Riley and Ian Krause have actually had their own pictures of this very train published at various times in 'Railway World' .
    #-oAre we to assume that the author of the article is responsible for this 'doctored' image or, more worryingly is Mr Flinders the real culprit?
    Whoever is responsible, although 'Alberta 45562' might enjoy the 'Railway Mag' compared to other offerings, I myself am going to stick with 'Heritage Railway' for my 1968 nostalgia. At least we know that the information contained in that magazine is consistently reliable and far better researched (by people who actually WERE there)... and all the pictures are unaltered as well!

11. RM Staff

RM Staff New Member

You are absolutely right to complain.

No one is disputing that someone has tried to alter history, but in the process has created a great photograph. No excuse, I know. The Editor is penning an explantion for readers for the next issue.

It has long been a policy of the RM that where a SIGNIFICANT alteration has been made digitally for the benefit of enhancing the photo, then it should be revealed in the caption and the reasons why. This should have appeared with this photo but due to a technical issue, did not.

We do not like manipulation of images any more than anyone else, but with modern day images it can be hard to tell if this has been done by the photographer (the odd sign or lamp post removed, or orange vest), and it can be very easy to be led astray. This situation was clearer cut and should have been spotted, and have carried a full explanation. For this serious omission, we apologise.

It is not and never has been Railway Magazine policy to deliberately alter images in such a way that potentially alters the course of history without a proper explanation.

12. 19D3326

19D3326 New Member Account Suspended

What was this "technical issue" we are ALL now wondering? "Tech speak" - more likely!
    Why can it not be openly admitted that the Magazine has been totally DUPED by Mr Flinders?

13. RM Staff

RM Staff New Member

Unless you understand magazine production techniques, picture servers, PDFs etc, and have been involved in the hectic pace of the final few days of the priduction cycle, then 'technical issue' would suffice. I am not being patronising.

And as the Editor carries the can I think the explanation on what happened should come from him. We are putting our hands up on this.

Let me also add that we are severely embarassed by this, and as I stated before, was not a deliberate attempt to mislead. Your patience and understanding is appreciated, and there will be no repeat episode.

14. 19D3326

19D3326 New Member Account Suspended

Strangely enough, I DO understand much of what you state - for reasons which those who know me personally will well understand - although the definition of a 'pridiction cycle' escapes me momentarily.
    We certainly all await the forthcoming explanation with interest!

15. RM Staff

RM Staff New Member

Prediction is 'allo 'allo speak for production. :-D

Surely others suffer from finger trouble?

16. Guest

Guest Guest

"Great photograph"? "Great photograph"? What planet are you on, Mr Milner?
    Why didn't your contributor go the whole hog and insert a motorway on the left and perhaps a Pendolino .... or even a GMAM Garratt, on the up line? Now THAT would be different!
    A great photograph? No!