If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Atherton-Herberton Historic Railway

Discussion in 'International Heritage Railways/Tramways' started by Muzza, Jan 27, 2023.

1. Muzza

Muzza New Member

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    A restored Peckett locomotive has returned to service at the Atherton-Herberton Historic Railway in Far North Queensland, Australia.

Works no. 1069 of 1905 is built to 3’6” gauge, which has always been the main gauge in Queensland since the first line was built in 1865. In 1932 the network reached a peak mileage of more than 6,500 miles (10,500 km).

The railway currently operates on selected days over a 2km long section of line between the former tin mining town of Herberton and the Herberton Historic Village. The line was originally built in 1910 and closed in 1990.

The locomotive served at two mining railways in Queensland - first at the Mount Morgan Mine and later at Mount Isa. It had been withdrawn by 1955. At both sites, it worked alongside another Peckett, No. 1174 of 1908. 1174 is also at Herberton and is undergoing restoration.

A community based volunteer organisation, the railway plans to eventually restore the line from Herberton to Atherton (22km) for the operation of heritage stock.

https://www.athrail.com/

Attached Files:

2. Johann Marsbar

Johann Marsbar Well-Known Member

No I do not currently volunteer
    Back in November 2003 I travelled on the "Atherton Tablelands Railway" out of Ravenshoe on a charter train - part of an RTC organised Australian tour......

r3-775.JPG
    I take it, from reading some of the info on the Herberton railway web page, that the section that we travelled on is no longer in operation? From memory we covered the Ravenshoe-Tumoulin section, though we must have called in at Atherton in the coach as I've got a photo of a steam loco which was parked there at the station.

Bluenosejohn likes this.
  3. Muzza

Muzza New Member

Yes I am an active volunteer
    Yes Johann,
    The Ravenshoe - Tumoulin section is no longer in use.
    The D17 sits at Ravenshoe having not steamed for many years, sadly.

4. garth manor

garth manor Well-Known Member

The D17 has a large enough cab to allow all comers to ride on the runaround triangle that was, a nice feature.

5. Johann Marsbar

Johann Marsbar Well-Known Member

No I do not currently volunteer
    This C17 was the loco that was parked up at Atherton during our visit.....

r3-772.JPG
    Having done an online search for that particular loco, I see that it moved on to another site in Queensland about 7 years ago.

Bluenosejohn and torgormaig like this.
  6. garth manor

garth manor Well-Known Member

Believe it was beyond the volunteers at Atherton capabilities.