If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Are any Standard 5MT's going to go mainline

Discussion in 'Steam Traction' started by mike1522, Sep 22, 2016.

1. martin1656

martin1656 Nat Pres stalwart Friend

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Pridhams ? was the 5's done there also ? because i can remember andy not being very complimentory about the work done, vertuallly every metal to metal face on the boiler i can remember having to blue up quite a few fixings before andy was satified

2. ghost

ghost Part of the furniture

Yes I am an active volunteer
    Has that ever been officially confirmed or is it still just a grapevine rumour?

Keith

3. green five

green five Resident of Nat Pres

Quite a few of us were surprised when 34016 was withdrawn early with boiler problems as when she returned to steam after her second heavy overhaul in preservation it was reported that the extensive work on the boiler would last her for many years. She also lost time on her ticket when the infamous driving wheel cracks were discovered. I remember visiting Ropley one evening and seeing 34016 and 35005 sitting rather forlornly in the yard face to face with white spray paint all over their driving wheels after they had both been failed for ML use.
    73096 on the other hand never failed on the ML as far as I can remember. There was a motion problem once but this was sorted with an emergency call to Ropley MPD who managed to come out and fix her and send her on her way.
    I hope 73096 does eventually return to the ML as she was an astonishing performer with the loads she was given. She was Mr Notley's Loco of the year (Can't remember which year) in Steam Railway Magazine. She is still my all time favourite Loco. She even really impressed my Dad who is a die-hard Bulleid Pacific fanatic. He didn't expect much from a BR Standard but after the first few Daylight Railtours we travelled on we knew that the MHR had a top link Class Five in their stable.

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk

Swan Age likes this.
  4. Swan Age

Swan Age Member

No it wasn't done by Pridhams.

5. Matt37401

Matt37401 Nat Pres stalwart

Nosy aren’t you?
    How about 75029? Ok I know it's only Grosmont Whitby there's also the 2-6-0 version in 76079/84 and are 80135/136 having the gubbins to go main line to Whitby? I must admit though I wouldn't mind something like 75014/69 going mainline though, have vague memories of seeing 75069 on the Cambrian, Happy days!

6. John Stewart

John Stewart Part of the furniture

Retired
    I was always told that sex is biological, gender is grammatical.:)