If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Another VT "Bash".

Discussion in 'What's Going On' started by buseng, Nov 7, 2012.

1. buseng

buseng Part of the furniture

Retired
    Just read in the latest SR that VT are planning another 5043 bash next year before the GW main line closes for charters & the wires go up. I let the powers to be elaborate, suffice to say that D1015 may also be involved & VT will also use their own water carrier as opposed to the WCRC one. Also celebrates a another famous GWR express train.

2. D229

D229 New Member

Any news on the date of this tour or even when this may advertised ?

3. buseng

buseng Part of the furniture

Retired
    The provisional date is May 11th next year.

4. spicer21

spicer21 Guest

Read about this today myself, sounds a fantastic idea, and what a great way of drawing the curtain on GWML steam, (for the time being only, lets hope)

Look forward to reading more on VT's website in the weeks ahead.

5. John Petley

John Petley Part of the furniture

Researcher/writer and composer of classical music
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Vintage Trains Ben mentioned the possibility of a train up Sapperton that would pick up at Gloucester. I've just seen the details in Steam Railway, and having seen 5043 thundering through Stonehouse last month, I would really like to be on this one. I'll therefore also be keeping an eye on the VT website.

6. hatherton hall

hatherton hall Well-Known Member

I was a signalman at Stonehouse and would also like to travel on this. I have to say it was the Bristol Road box and not Burdett Road where Peaks and new Class 47's were the order of the day rather than Hymeks and Warships although they did appear on the Midland from time to time.

In the dying days of WR mainline steam (1963) I was stood on Reading station, waiting to travel back to Taunton when the down through road was set for a "runner" and to my amazement, with whistle blasting the "Cheltenham Spa Express" raced through on its way to Gloucester and Cheltenham behind an 85B Castle. Odd really, but it is a memory that has never gone away and to think that I could replicate this in 2013 in mind blowing.

Bring it on.

7. 6136

6136 Member

This looks excellent and I'm in. I'm also puzzled. I understood that charter trains were not to be allowed through Reading after Easter? or is that they cannot stop there?

8. Steamage

Steamage Part of the furniture

I'm not sure why people are being so circumspect about passing on the details of the SR story. Ben from VT is quoted at length in two separate articles and it's the lead headline on the cover, so hardly embargoed! The plan is a non-stop run from Gloucester, over Sapperton, to Paddington and back on May 11th, using Tyseley's own water-carrier. The load will be limited (7 coaches? Maybe 8?) and consequently prices will be a little higher than normal. The Tyseley - Gloucester section will be diesel-hauled, possibly using D1015.

The idea is a "final fling" on the un-electrified GW main-line before the wires start going up, and will almost certainly be the last charter (steam or otherwise) out of Paddington and through Reading until the work is finished.

How "non-stop" it turns out to be will depend very much on the path they get from NR, and Ben is careful to damp down speculation of a repeat of The Bristolian's record-breaking run in 2010. My own opinion is that the omens for a decent schedule are good, given that FGW are closely involved, but we probably won't know until the actual day.

Full details will be on the VT web site "soon".

9. lil Bear

lil Bear Part of the furniture

Railway Technician
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Having taking a headcount on Saturday, there could be a booking of at least a dozen from our group for this!

Lookinjg forward to it, and can't wait for details.

10. gwr4090

gwr4090 Part of the furniture

Scientist (Rtd)
    I think the date will almost certainly change. A date in early March seems more likely.

David

11. spicer21

spicer21 Guest

Think you could be right there, though a shame if so as there'll be a lot less daylight in March. Unusual for VT to release any details of their trains before they have a confirmed date though, if memory serves me right.

12. david1984

david1984 Resident of Nat Pres

Best get a move on with planning in that case, don't NR require 12 weeks notice ?.

13. Bifur01

Bifur01 Member

Please in a half term, or I may have to try getting a day off school.

14. D229

D229 New Member

Any idea anyone when the next program of VT specials may be advertised ? The roster clerk is expecting a hammering !!!!

15. david1984

david1984 Resident of Nat Pres

I seem to recall March is usually about the time the summer/autumn programme is announced (feel free to correct me if wrong).

16. spicer21

spicer21 Guest

Well if "GWR4090" is correct in his suspicions the date will change to "early March" I'd have thought details will be announced ahead of the main programme.

Ben Mason has always been excellent at providing updates on here, so I'm sure he'll post something when he is sure of the details.

Plenty more to think about, look forward to, (and speculate about), in the meantime

17. D229

D229 New Member

Railways and speculation, don't you just love em !!!!!!!

18. spicer21

spicer21 Guest

Often the most enjoyable aspect of railtours funnily enough

19. Ben Vintage-Trains

Ben Vintage-Trains Member

The brochure will start arriving in the post and via email at the beginning of next week - around 15th Jan, although there are quite a few tours announced already. May 25th to WSR should be fun!

20. Ben Vintage-Trains

Ben Vintage-Trains Member

Speculation is a wonderful thing - always entertaining to hear from folks who claim to know my own mind better than I!

Oh ye of little faith!