If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Another Garratt to be Restored

Discussion in 'Narrow Gauge Railways' started by 61624, Dec 22, 2014.

1. MuzTrem

MuzTrem Member

Interesting - I wasn't aware of that. It's a shame to hear they weren't viable, but there it is. It's never easy to predict whether extra services will attract enough extra custom to justify themselves - but kudos to the F&WHR for trying.

2. Baldwin

Baldwin Guest

Well i never, is electrification, cheaper fares and a frequent service the awnser after all ?

3. Sheff

Sheff Resident of Nat Pres

Retired Engineer & Heritage Volunteer
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    North Wales Orbital anyone ;) ?

4. John Stewart

John Stewart Part of the furniture

Retired
    No I do not currently volunteer
    I used "DMU" for shorthand. What I had in mind was a battery-electric where the battery bank was charged by a small internal combustion engine running at a constant speed with the provision of shore supply at terminals as well. Some form of IC engine is the only practicable way to provide heating.

5. Sheff

Sheff Resident of Nat Pres

Retired Engineer & Heritage Volunteer
    Yes, I was looking for something more environmentally, (and aurally) sensitive than a DMU :)

6. Baldwin

Baldwin Guest

I think the last person who suggested that on here didn't go down too well ! Something does need to be done though, with only two trains a day in normal service, the line isn't being used as it should be, due to it's financing, morally it has a social role to fulfill, IMHO. How about sharing the problem with the WHHR ?

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 29, 2014
    andrewshimmin likes this.
  7. michaelh

michaelh Part of the furniture

Very comfortably early retired
    Why?

Are you prepared to volunteer to staff these extra trains you are so keen on?

8. kscanes

kscanes Resident of Nat Pres

Yes, could you expand on that please?

Would I be right in thinking that because about half of the cost came from public funds, you feel that the railway company should go beyond their remit? To the extent of operating potentially loss-making trains? Or do I misunderstand? Does that principle apply to all recipients of public funds? Or just railways? Or just recipients of certain public funds? Or what?

9. Felix Holt

Felix Holt Guest

To get back on topic, what colour would we all like it to be, assuming the other locos stay in their current liveries?

10. Baldwin

Baldwin Guest

Without writing a book i think all possibilities should be looked at into making the most use of the line, this would include smaller more frequent trains, cheaper fares and participation with the WHHR, yes i do think that because half the cost came from public funds the railway does have a moral obligation to provide for the general public, i don't see anything wrong with that, perfectly fair. I also participated to the finance much to my regret.

11. Baldwin

Baldwin Guest

I agree, won't say anymore.

12. andrewshimmin

andrewshimmin Well-Known Member

I think that most people (i.e. not us enthusiasts) would say that the recipient of millions in public money, on the basis of a claim of public good (alternative to cars) should really provide the public good which it was funded to provide.... I am sure if it was a non-railway matter we would all agree.
    However, I do not dispute that actually providing a service which would do what was 'promised' would be a huge logistical challenge to the point of being unfeasible, at least as things are.
    I just wonder what those who gave the money think.

Baldwin likes this.
  13. andrewshimmin

And, by the way, I think the WHR is a superb achievement.

John Stewart likes this.
  14. John Stewart

John Stewart Part of the furniture

Retired
    I think that the local politicians and the national assembly members would be pleased at the economic impact of the WHR and that the "car removal" intention has been pushed aside in their consciousness. However, I think that the railway should try to address this aspect in fresh ways and not get too hung up on "historical authenticity". Frankly, the current railway has little historical authenticity about it apart from the use of steam locomotives. The original WHR was a sickly thing, spending years in receivership before quietly dying. Both it and the FfR are thoroughly commercially modern but sanitised versions of what went before. That is the way it has to be.

15. andrewshimmin

Brighton Umber, please.

MuzTrem, Felix Holt and Chris86 like this.
  16. Pesmo

Pesmo Member

One thing they could do is encourage some of the coach parties to not use the Ffestiniog and for them to use the WHR instead. I get to visit the two railways only in high season and virtually every year I struggle to get a seat on a Ffestiniog at some point due to several carriages being block booked by coach parties. On one occasion I think half the train was block booked by tours and there was no seat at all available for me and others. WHR doesn't seem to have that problem where a seat can usually be found easily so encouraging some regular tour groups to move across (perhaps with a discount) would increase WHR passenger numbers and cut down the crush on the Ffestiniog in high season.

17. Neil_Scott

Neil_Scott Part of the furniture

Railway servant
    Provide a public service to whom exactly?

18. Forestpines

Forestpines Well-Known Member

I'm well aware of the difficulties in filling a volunteer roster - but the WHR is something of a special case because its owners are already running another railway with a more frequent service and have to provide support staff anyway. Does Porthmadog control office need more staffing if both railways are running instead of just the FFestiniog? The only signalbox on the line is Porthmadog; and I could be wrong but I thought the FR had twoS&T staff on the full-time payroll.

Incidentally I remember travelling on the early morning diesel before Rhyd DDu-Porthmadog had opened - I think it was Easter 2008. Me and my partner were staying at the Waunfawr station campsite and found it idealfor travelling into Caernarfon, looking round the castle and then doing a "3/4 trip" on the rest of the railway. She thought the diesel loco rather more attractive than K1!

19. Felix Holt

Felix Holt Guest

Yes - cool! :D

20. andrewshimmin

Now that is sacrilege! One of the good things about a more intensive service would be more work for K1