If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Andrew Barclay/Orenstein & Koppel 0-4-0WT Similarities

Discussion in 'Steam Traction' started by Corbs, Feb 3, 2015.

1. Corbs

Corbs Well-Known Member

Heya,

Looking at pictures of AB 0-4-0WT 'Douglas' on the Talyllyn Railway, it bears a lot of similarities to the locos built by O&K, such as 'Eigiau', around the same wartime period.

Were these built to a shared design or was it coincidental? It just seems odd considering the manufacturers were in warring countries around that time.

My aim is to use a readily available plastic kit of the O&K to make a model of the AB loco and just wanted to see if there were similar enough to pass muster.

Thanks

Corbs

2. ragl

ragl Well-Known Member

Consultant Engineer
    The Barclay locos - I think that they were Class E - were a copy of the Orensteins. I believe that because of the First World War, Barclays body-swerved any licencing arrangements and made almost exact copies. I believe that there was a similar situation with the fireless locos built in the UK at the same time. Best of luck with the model.

cheers

Alan

Corbs likes this.
  3. Corbs

Corbs Well-Known Member

4. Nvincer

Nvincer New Member

Ironically I have just been modelling 'Cegin' from Penrhyn and noticed the same thing - an uncanny similarity of parts!