If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

'Along Birkenhead Lines' Steam Gala - Llangollen, 3rd to 5th March

Discussion in 'Galas and Events' started by Jeff Albiston, Jan 8, 2017.

1. alrohomer

alrohomer Member Friend

Retired IT employee
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Thank you John. Much appreciated.

2. pwsw5054

pwsw5054 Member

Our video from Saturday. Really good day, big thank you to everyone involved

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

3. Martin Perry

Martin Perry Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Moderator Friend

Good video. Some unusual viewpoints.

pwsw5054 likes this.
  4. 60017

60017 Resident of Nat Pres Friend

Retired from corporate slavery :o)
    No I do not currently volunteer
    The only thing I didn't like about the Llangollen spring Steam Gala 2017 was the weather! I got soaked on Friday and yesterday, whilst largely dry, was not much better for light, and therefore photography. It looks like those participating today are suffering similar problems. Otherwise, the railway's offerings were great! Friendly and welcoming staff, superb selection of loco's and as always, the tea room's of Berwyn and Glyndyfrdwy provided an excellent brew, great cake and a welcome respite from the weather! So a big thank you to all those who planned, operated and stayed cheerful throughout my visit on Friday and Saturday...you all did an excellent job! My two-day 'senior' rover was great value for money :)

IMG_0294lr.jpg

5. Johnb

Johnb Nat Pres stalwart

Retired, best job I've ever had
    The weather might not have been up to much but you have managed to get a decent image there. Did you tell the driver of 6960 that it wasn't a light engine? (Lamp code is wrong)

6. 60017

Thanks John. As for the lamp codes, it was the Hall and Manor together, is there a different position for two engines running light and coupled together?

7. Johnb

Johnb Nat Pres stalwart

No there isn't as they seem to be working into the station I assumed there was a train on the back! It is fairly unusual to take up a path on a gala day with LE movement.

8. 60017

They were on their way to Carrog to take up their respective duties (first timetabled movement). Normally I wouldn't bother with light engines, but the curve at Glyndyfrdwy hides all, if not most of the train and I was so pleased it wasn't raining first thing on Saturday!

9. Johnb

Johnb Nat Pres stalwart

Well you fooled me!

60017 likes this.
  10. lil Bear

lil Bear Part of the furniture

Railway Technician
    Managed to make it yesterday after a slight change to my work, an enjoyable event with 6960 putting in a rather vocal display on the lunchtime train - even with just 5x on!

Weather I could cope with, it's Wales after all, but the timekeeping was really poor especially come the afternoon which was unusual for LR. the 15:42 arrival into Llan was much closer to 17:00, and I've heard reports it didn't improve much for the evening service to Glyn. It seemed too much was trying to be achieved at Llan, with not enough time available to complete all the shunts when the Goods was around. There was 30-mins ish to depart one train, allow it out of section, run a loco round & water, accept the Goods and have it arrive before swapping locos and then departing, followed by another run-round and water before accepting the next arrival. Just couldn't be done and delays built up over the whole day, and left us sat in loops for longer periods of time than was booked.

Was still good to speak with the various members, and the tearooms offered their usual warm welcomes. Kudos with the Goods as well for the rebranding of some wagons in private owner liveries associated to the area. Be back for 60s weekend if not before!

Last edited: Mar 6, 2017
  11. 49010

49010 Well-Known Member

Gentleman of Leisure
    I made my first visit to the Llan for some time yesterday, and jolly glad I am that I went. As ever it was well-thought out theme wise and lots of interesting stuff out on the rails.

My main favourites were the freight (obviously), I agree with Lilbear that the presence of Private Owner wagons in the freight was good, they are an important part of railway history so well done for that. I also liked the way the opens and vans were jumbled up, it was this "randomness" of freights that really caught my eye as a lad. Nice weathering job on 45292 (45337) too, I assume that the leaking cylinders were also deliberate?

I also enjoyed the fact that I could walk from Berwyn platform over the restored Chain Link (bouncy) bridge, even better that I had a pint of Llangollen Brewery Station beer at the end of it. Lovely.

A couple of questions: was 45292 (45337) playing up? It was supposed to be on the passenger trains but took 43106's place on the first and third freights but was subbed by 48642 on the second freight. Where was the (much loved) Thompson Buffet?

Springs Branch likes this.
  12. LMarsh1987

LMarsh1987 Part of the furniture Friend

TBC
    Action from the KWVR & Llangollen Railway. A great show all round from both railways.

green five and jonh like this.
  13. acorb

acorb Part of the furniture

Well it's just as well the Llangollen didn't brand this as 'Spring' gala as today was decidedly wintry..
    We took a few lineside shots but the rain, sleet and (yes snow!) drove us into the tearooms at Carrog & Glyndyfrydwy mainly. Thanks to all for a varied and interesting event.
    Trains looked fairly well loaded (Def day to be on train rather than watching), but time keeping was about 40 mins adrift at least by lunchtime. Valley looked lovely as ever.

14. RA & FC

RA & FC Well-Known Member

To answer a few of the things mentioned above, times were let down each day by a few signalling issues here and there. Time went adrift, but remained at the same time it went by, rather than constantly increasing (thankfully!).

The pic of the hall and manor is nice, I'm the driver on it so I did have the right lamp code. (I'm the one to thank for the vocal run up the bank also!). 2 light engines up to Carrog ahead of the 9 coach train with the 8F, done so the train could be run properly rather than doubleheading / top and tailing. Then allowing for the 2 takes to be spot at Carrog, with one set being top and tailed up the extension, and the other to go back to llan.

The black 5 was in a million pieces only hous before the event! New cylinder liners, piston and valve heads were fitted. This work stopped it running Friday, so Saturdays changes to have it on the freight all day was for it to settle in, as with putting the manor on top of it for the 9 coach train this morning.

I'm the one who weathered the 5 also. The rain on Friday helped to streak it a bit as well.

Cracking weekend anyway.

JBTEvans, 49010, Johnb and 2 others like this.
  15. alrohomer

alrohomer Member Friend

Retired IT employee
    Lovely weather today :rolleyes:

First item on the timetable today, 6960 Raveningham Hall (honestly!) light engine move at Berwyn.

DSC09105.JPG

49010, 47406 and LMarsh1987 like this.
  16. black5

black5 Well-Known Member

Theatre
  17. pwsw5054

pwsw5054 Member

In the snow on Sunday morning.

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

acorb likes this.
  18. JohnRobinson

JohnRobinson Member

I went Saturday and looking at the above snowstorm, I think I made the right decision after all, but decided that at 16.00 pm and the rain becoming constant then it was time to head home. Nice to see some changes since my last visit, the chain bridge at Berwyn open and the staff of the railway for making some quite nice locations for photography between Carrog and Corwen. I very good Gala indeed !! DSC_14818.jpg

more pictures from the gala here - http://steamingnorth.com/thumbnails.php?album=211

Last edited: Mar 6, 2017
  19. Thompson1706

Thompson1706 Part of the furniture

Retired
    If we'd known it was going to snow we could have charged extra !

Bob.

Martin Perry likes this.
  20. black5

black5 Well-Known Member

Theatre