If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Allonby Carriages

Discussion in 'Heritage Rolling Stock' started by guard_jamie, Dec 1, 2011.

1. guard_jamie

guard_jamie Part of the furniture

Signalman
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Speaking to my Grandmother the other day, she revealed that just before the war her father purchased a grounded carriage body in Allonby, Cumbria (or Cumberland as it was then), which they owned until the 50s. Apparently it had not been there all that long before they purchased it, the couple who had bought it finding it wasn't to their taste. Apparently said couple had purchased it and had it moved to Allonby (from Glasgow) for £20.

It was one of several carriages and I am wondering if by good fortune anyone on here can reveal any more details about the carriages at Allonby and what eventually happened to them.

2. 61624

61624 Part of the furniture

Can't help with that one, but I remember reading an article in the Railway Modeller ca. 1970 about two ng carriage bodies that had been found in use as sheds or something like that at Borth, near Aberystwyth. Does anyone know anything about them, and what became of them. From memory, they sounded like fairly basic 2ft gauge Hudson bogie vehicles.

3. paulhitch

paulhitch Guest

They were 2ft.6ins gauge and were considered, briefly, for possible use on a certain Welsh 2ft. 6ins line. However they were indeed basic and rather tatty so better solutions were found.

What became of them I don't know.

Paul H.

4. Foxhunter

Foxhunter Member

The theory was that they had been used on a contractors railway, possibly associated with the Elan Reservoir project and then dumped at Borth. I modelled one in 16mm scale some 30 years ago.

Foxy

5. sleepermonster

sleepermonster Member

I'm afraid i can't help with the Allonby carriages, but the Borth items came from near Manchester where they were used on the Chat Moss land reclamation/sewage disposal system.

Tim