If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

All aboard the Lynton & Barnstaple

Discussion in 'Narrow Gauge Railways' started by Old Kent Biker, May 19, 2011.

1. Meiriongwril

Meiriongwril Member

YAWN .....

2. AndrewT

AndrewT Member

F&WHR Spin Doctor
    "The WHR are happy to forge a relationship based on earning from it,and that is very evident if you stand outside the box and watch what is happening inside the box."

Sorry, you lost me completely there.

3. guard_jamie

guard_jamie Part of the furniture

Signalman
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Clearly you are stood at the wrong proximity to the Box. I have a turn in Bewdley South tomorrow and will let you know if it makes any more sense from there!

4. Foxhunter

Foxhunter Member

So, that's the end of the L & B then..... honestly, what an attitude! I might as well stop contributing to all the restorations / new builds I support then because it's all clearly a wasted effort... and I'd be better off spending all the hours involved in them collecting stamps or some similar worthy activity.

Foxy

5. lynbarn

lynbarn Well-Known Member

Working in the NHS as a Maintenance Electrician
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Funny that, I have just started a forum for anyone wishing to join me in owning a narrow gauge steam locomotive and so far 15 people have signed up mostly L&BR members, the group is open to any one please look at the Yahoo link below:-

The_Little_River_Locomotive_Works : The Little River Locomotive Works

might see some of you over there

Regards

Colin Rainsbury

6. lynton&barnstaple

lynton&barnstaple Member

There is nothing like consistency. Like taxes and death, the Engineer will always find ways to snipe at the management of the L&B. 109 ways to be exact. For once, I have to say he has a point. It is highly unlikely that 109 big donors are going to come out of the woodwork and pay for the L&B. It will eventually be done just as so many other successful railways have been rebuilt: by its membership. That does depend upon whether the membership remains focussed on the job in hand or splinters into all kinds of 'puffer nutter groups' which seems to be happening at present. I notice with interest that 'a workshop in Devon' is part of Colin's new splinter effort. Perhaps the Engineer has his sights set on this and of course AndrewT will say I am being rude!.

7. brmp201

brmp201 Member

IT Director
    There have been a number of comments about funding for the L&B extension, inferring that as the L&B don't have millions already in the bank, a winning lottery ticket or a billionaire backer (that we are aware of), they will never have any possibility of realising their dreams.

My personal opinion is that there is absolutely no point in trying to raise the millions required until planning permission has been granted. I also think that when (if) planning permission is granted, the project's profile will escalate greatly, with the potential to attract all sorts of funds.

8. Old Kent Biker

Old Kent Biker Member

ex IT Consultant
    A review of the L&B website will explain much of the current effort being put into the pre-planning needed prior to submitting applications for the Transport and Works Act Order, planning permission, etc. etc. There is a large expense involved just in getting to that stage, and although the L&B has established good working relationships with ENPA, NDDC and other statutory bodies, leading to some funding being made available, and the likes of ARUP have been very generous in providing funding and considerable expertise for some of the preliminary impact assessments, ecology surveys, public consultations, and the myriad other precursors, a lot of money is still required.

Whilst a lottery win or a single major benefactor coming up with the tens of millions required would be very helpful, neither form part of the L&B fundraising strategy. neither will the extension be funded by additional revenue generated from ticket sales (No "heritage" railway that I am aware of has ever achieved this - even national railway systems around the world struggle without government subsidies) As part of a long-term project, fundraising is just one of many aspects that need to be planned, resourced and executed well in advance of work starting actually on the ground.

I agree that, once the TWO is in place, the project's profile will be considerably enhanced, but that the L&B already forms a key part of the North Devon local plan, speaks to the fact that the profile is already in the ascendancy, although that's not to say the current fundraising activities aren't necessary.

If anyone wishes to help with any of this, then I'm sure the L&BRT will welcome their support with open arms!

9. ellenbee pioneer

ellenbee pioneer New Member

In projecting for the future, has anyone asked how the L&B came to be reopened? When annual membership was around the 300-mark and Mark Bladwell was asking for old coins and stamps to raise money? When we held AGMs and Association Committee meetings in Landkey village hall because our only possessions were in a nearby scrapyard? - Yet a decade later we were relaying track at Woody Bay station prior to recommencing services. This was acheived through Mike Buse's inspiration to acquire the old Thorpe Park pleasure railway and run it as a fund raiser at the Milky Way theme park. With Doug Hill, the ex-general manager of the West Somerset controlling the purse strings we went on actually run a railway. It is significant that since both of the above departed from the scene, progress has stalled.
    There's really no substitute for a money-making operation like the Lynbarn and a General manager who has done the job before!

10. Old Kent Biker

Old Kent Biker Member

ex IT Consultant
    Although I agree there is no more track now than there was a few years ago, I don't agree with your assertion that the railway has "stalled". I would prefer to look at it as "a period of consolidation" which has resulted in a strong, forward-looking organisation, with a firm plan that is well integrated into those of local authorities, and a growing number of professional and enthusiast supporters and partners. But then, some would say I always wear my rose-tinted spectacles :)

Many - possibly most - of those currently involved with the L&B are well aware of the early history of the Association, and of the Trust in its earlier incarnation. As with any such project, each generation builds on the work of it forebears. The Lynbarn was undoubtedly a key factor in getting the railway open, but even if it were still in use as a "fun-d-raiser" for the L&B, and some of those earlier personalities had not chosen to move on to other interests, would the L&B have progressed beyond Killington Lane to the south, or under the A39 to the north? Would the L&B have a membership of well over 2,000 and growing? Would AXE have been returned to steam? Would the project to recreate "Lyn" be so far advanced (regardless of the different opinions on WHAT is being built, it IS happening)?

Although we will never know, somehow, I rather doubt any of these. There would still have been a TWO to obtain, much money to be raised, and major engineering obstacles to overcome.

Whilst we shouldn't forget the lessons of the past, to progress, we have to look - and move - forwards. That, in my opinion, is just what the L&B is doing right now...

11. lynbarn

lynbarn Well-Known Member

Working in the NHS as a Maintenance Electrician
    Correction

It was I who told the Association about the Thorpe Park stuff in the first place, and that info came from Patrick Keef, who I consider to be a friend.

I have to admit, even I didn't expect the Thorpe Park carriages to do all the work they have done at Woody Bay, I did however expect to have seen an L&BR size version of that stock running by now, but as we are so close to having the heritage stock it does not matter now.

Regards

Colin Rainsbury

12. AndrewT

AndrewT Member

F&WHR Spin Doctor
    Considering that a large number of experts on any number of forums can tell us exactly what a railway is doing wrong and supply detailed instructions on how to do it properly, isn't an experienced GM a bit of a luxury?

13. brmp201

brmp201 Member

IT Director
    L&B Trackbed Appeal - Rowley

£65,000 required to buy 1200 yards of L&B trackbed, from Rowley Cross to Parracombe Bank, with more of the route under negotiation with landowners.

L&B Phase II is going to happen!

14. SpudUk

SpudUk Well-Known Member

Project Manager
    Brilliant news if it all comes together!

15. guard_jamie

guard_jamie Part of the furniture

Signalman
    Here's hoping, just sorry I'm in no position to donate to this one! Great to see that it's directly adjacent to the current line too.

16. brmp201

brmp201 Member

IT Director
  17. lynton&barnstaple

lynton&barnstaple Member

"Considering that a large number of experts on any number of forums can tell us exactly what a railway is doing wrong and supply detailed instructions on how to do it properly, isn't an experienced GM a bit of a luxury?"

The words of a 'public relations' expert. Cringeworthy to say the least

18. brmp201

brmp201 Member

IT Director
  19. AndrewT

AndrewT Member

F&WHR Spin Doctor
    Looking good.

20. philw2

philw2 Member

According to the LB website, they hope to submit their extension plan.app. before the year end. If they are 'on track' with this, I wish them the very best of luck with it.

It maybe worthwhile concealing some kind of good luck symbol somewhere in the documentation. Rooftiles could be shown as horseshoes for example..