If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

A2 60532 Blue Peter

Discussion in 'Steam Traction' started by big.stu, Nov 3, 2014.

1. Sam 60103

Sam 60103 Member

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    N09 failed at Tyne Yard which meant that diesel haulage happened north of Newcastle in both directions but at least N07 was available to haul the Tyne Yard to York leg on the Sunday. In 2009 Bittern failed to appear on the Kings Cross to York leg meaning that Tornado which was already booked to do the York to Kings Cross leg substituted. N07 did York-Edinburgh and Edinburgh-Dundee with N09 doing Dundee-Edinburgh and Edinburgh-York. Shame that the Ferryhill turntable wasn’t in operation at the time preventing the tour running to Aberdeen but 2 A4’s did cross the Tay Bridge which isn’t possible now.

2. Sam 60103

Sam 60103 Member

Indeed it will. Hope it gets to go to all areas of the country with a particular desire to see it at Ferryhill on the turntable given that it was its former home for most of its working life.

3. 61624

61624 Part of the furniture

Yes I am an active volunteer
    The converse question is "how much would it bring by way of fares, and would it be so much more expensive than any other gala?" Methinks you do protest too loudly, though - if the MHR announced that they were going to stage it, would you voice the same misgivings?

John Merry likes this.
  4. Matt37401

Matt37401 Nat Pres stalwart

The NYMR isn’t exactly the easiest of places to get too though is it? Certainly for myself any visits there have always meant having to make a few nights accommodation, not cheap.
    One of my friends who loves Whitby and spends at least 2 or 3 weeks there every year always remarks about what a faff it is to get there, I’ve had several conversations with other friends expressing similar view points.
    Not trying to knock the NYMR btw just saying that I see Martins point.

As an aside wasn’t there some sort of problem a few ago regarding trying to find a safe vantage point for the expected numbers when the 3 A4’s visited?

I’m also very much reminded of Nick Rall’s answer when he was asked about hosting 60163 and 60103 again would he do it? It was a very simple ‘No’ how difficult would that be with another 2 locomotives?
    I’d suggest a certain roundhouse in Derbyshire if you want to get all four together, I’d also say it’s a lot easier to manage a site like this with one way in and out than 40 miles of trackside with multiple entry and exit points.

I’ll be very surprised if we do see some sort of event involving all four of the operational variants of the East Pacific’s we have on the Mainline or at a Heritage Line, let’s face it anything involving 60103 at the moment gives any ops manger (whether it’s mainline or heritage) quite a few grey hairs.
    That’s before we consider the current relationship between the 2 TOC’s responsible for the 4 locos and their current disagreements about Central Door Locking.

Sorry for my little Ramble On, but I do think any event involving all 4 Pacific’s is really not as straightforward as some would think.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2023
  5. blink bonny

blink bonny Member

The NYMR has some beautiful landscape and it's a joy as a heritage railway, but I don't think that a bunch of greyhounds such as the LNER Pacifics are in their best environment, hobbled to a maximum of 25mph either. They should be out exercising on the big railway. I recall how uninspiring it was to see 60009 plodding along at 20-odd mph, tender first, on a train with a handful of coaches, as it necessarily was on 50% of its turns.

By all means, lines like the NYMR should have star locos in to headline their galas, but it's not the showcase location for a unique collection of racers on a rare gathering.
    Union-of-South-Africa-(60)-Moorgates-fbook.jpg

6. MellishR

MellishR Resident of Nat Pres Friend

Where there's a will there's a way, but whether there is a will among the TOCs and railtour promoters remains to be seen.

Matt37401 likes this.
  7. Steve

Steve Resident of Nat Pres Friend

Gentleman of leisure, nowadays
    The NYMR at Pickering is dead easy to get to by road. I live 41 miles away and can generally get there in 45 minutes without problem. What's more I live pretty much next to a motorway so you can easily get to my starting point from anywhere with decent road connections. If you live in the south with their poor roads then travelling is going to be harder but that will apply to wherever you go.

8. Matt37401

Matt37401 Nat Pres stalwart

(Sighs) Why am I reminded of the expression of ‘you can tell a yorkshireman but you can’t tell him much’

Steve when I’m at my parents in Worcestershire It’s dead easy for me to get to SVR at Bewdley because it’s less than a 10 minute walk away from their home.

Not everybody has the luxury of their own transport, if you don’t mind me asking, how long would it take you to make that journey to Pickering using public transport?

green five, 3ABescot and Kje7812 like this.
  9. Kje7812

Kje7812 Part of the furniture

Indeed. I'm currently living and working in York and getting public transport to the NYMR is rather long winded. Coastliner have just changed their timetable and I have yet to put it to the test. But on the previous Saturday timetable the first bus from York would get to Pickering after the first NYMR service. To get around this, you can get the train to Malton (if TPE are running) and catch a bus there but the morning connections aren't good with the train arriving as the bus departs meaning you end waiting about an hour. Fine if the weather is good.
    7.07 train to get the 9.20 NMR service.

Sent from my moto g(7) play using Tapatalk

3ABescot and Matt37401 like this.
  10. 61624

61624 Part of the furniture

I think we can all come up with reasons why things shouldn't be done. For instance, I couldn't be bothered to go to the A4 Great Gathering, because it was a static event, and what's the point of taking the same photo as 10,000 other people? - wait a month and there's far better ones in the magazines than I could ever manage. What I'm suggesting is an event where things are happening and some interesting, different, pics are there to be had for those that want them, and there's something going on for those who like to see the engines at work. As it happens the NYMR has a lot to offer for both categories, more so than perhaps people realise - for example the LNERCA could assemble a short Thompson train as well as a Gresley one, and their ECJS clerestory dining and there are probably enough BR box vans of various descriptions on the line to assemble a fast fitted freight. If you want a static line-up, fine - Barrow Hill roundhouse or Shildon could be the answer, and there's no reason why both types of event couldn't be done.

I don't any real evidence that getting to the NYMR is a a significant issue for many people, judging by the lineside galleries at the routine Gala weekends and I'm sure that with a bit of forethought mitigating solutions could be laid on to be pre-booked by those obliged or preferring to use public transport to reach the line.

Jamessquared and black5 like this.
  11. std tank

std tank Part of the furniture

Retired
    Leeds to Malton (train). Malton to Pickering (bus).

Mikey D likes this.
  12. John Merry

John Merry New Member

I spent the weekend at the running of Bittern, Sir Nigel Gresley and Union of South Africa at the North Yorkshire Moors Railway. There wasn't any issues regarding running the event at the time and I cannot see what the waffle is about running main line registered locomotives on preserved railways.
    Personally I would rather see them Plodding along vs static exhibit with every Tom dick and Harry pushing and shoving to get "their shot".
    As for events being run up in the cold north?
    This is just thread drift

13. Jamessquared

Jamessquared Nat Pres stalwart

Isn't it a bit of a truism that if you live in Worcestershire, getting to the SVR will be easier than getting to the NYMR? One of the main things that prevents my visiting the NYMR more often is that it is the best part of 300 miles away: public transport isn't going to alter that fundamental fact ...

AFAIK, the NYMR gets more passengers than any other preserved railway. So access issues can hardly be a deterrent to visiting.

Tom

Bluenosejohn, 3ABescot and 26D_M like this.
  14. Steve

Steve Resident of Nat Pres Friend

Gentleman of leisure, nowadays
    I’ve only done it once. Caught the Coastliner bus from the top of the village and it dropped me in Pickering. It was a long time ago, though and I can’t remember how long it took.

Edit: just looked it up and would have to leave home at 06.30 to walk to the bus stop and catch the 840 which would get me into Pickering just after 08.30 with plenty of time for a bacon butty before catching the first train out of Pickering.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2023
  15. class8mikado

class8mikado Part of the furniture

Print Estimator/ Repository of Useless Informatio.
    The Doncaster suggestion came about because there at least 6 through lines and ample sidings either side, but i suppose concurrent ' railtours would at least finance the event. Disrupting railtraffic doesnt seem to be an issue, its constantly being disrupted anyway. Whole towns are brought to a standstill for hours so that a few hundred folk can jog round these days...

16. Victor

Victor Nat Pres stalwart Friend

Retired
    Tha can allus tell a Yorkshireman but the can't tell 'im much.;)

Oh, and
    https://www.transdevbus.co.uk/coastliner/services

17. Kje7812

Kje7812 Part of the furniture

Which is the improved version for summer that was introduced this week. I suspect by the time of ASG it will be no longer so. I remember this occuring when I previously visited at an ASG.

Sent from my moto g(7) play using Tapatalk

18. MellishR

MellishR Resident of Nat Pres Friend

Or:
    To give the Southerner his due,
    He thinks he knows a thing or two.
    'Appen he duz, but don't tha see?
    T' Yorkshireman knows two or three.

Victor likes this.
  19. guycarr360

guycarr360 Part of the furniture Account Suspended

Why not run from York (easily accessable), to Shildon, and return, think turning may be an issue, or maybe swap locos, for a turned one.

That has to be an option, they can line them up at York, and Shildon....

Paul42, Kje7812 and 26D_M like this.
  20. MarkinDurham

MarkinDurham Well-Known Member

Why not top & tail, as was done a few years ago on the short-lived York (NRM platform) - Shildon shuttles?

Mark