If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

A2 60532 Blue Peter

Discussion in 'Steam Traction' started by big.stu, Nov 3, 2014.

1. Anthony Coulls

Anthony Coulls Well-Known Member

60103 was blue when allocated to Leicester shed. Bring it on!

S.A.C. Martin likes this.
  2. kieranhardy

kieranhardy Well-Known Member

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Didn't Princess Royals aswell? :D

3. david1984

david1984 Resident of Nat Pres

Go on then ;)

4. Sheff

Sheff Resident of Nat Pres

Retired Engineer & Heritage Volunteer
    Well Anthony, there's a vacancy now for a BR blue LNER pacific on the main line. ....

S.A.C. Martin likes this.
  5. S.A.C. Martin

S.A.C. Martin Part of the furniture

Asset Engineer (Signalling), MNLPS Treasurer
    How much to sponsor a repaint? This strikes me as the one livery a great number of people would be happy to see and would pay for. Of course it wouldn't be accurate to the form, but it would make a nice change.

It is a shame, given the NRM have the correct tender behind 4468 Mallard, that a temporary swap can't be done to give Mallard the correct tender type to portray her as per the world record run, and give Scotsman the correct tender for her working days as an A3 Pacific. That would make the express passenger blue livery more accurate in one fell swoop, and any change of livery to the BR dark green too.

I suspect with the amount spent on the tender for this overhaul that this idea wouldn't be met too warmly!

black5 likes this.
  6. The Black Hat

The Black Hat Member

Defender of the Faith
    Have to say that this is indeed good news for mainline steam. 60532 has been a reliable and powerful performer on the mainline before with a fantastic reputation.

It is my hope that a comprehensive overhaul returns Blue Peter to such a condition that it again is known for its reliability on the network. I would also think that the developments with the Hoskings operation are interesting to watch. With the purchase of Crewe diesel depot and the acquistion of Crewe LNWR heritage operation, they have the means and ability to become a large and successful supplier of steam locomotives for the mainline companies, which are predominantly WCRC and DBS at present. Whether others such as DCR or DRS might view Hoskings group as a supplier too and enter the market I think remains more unlikely, but Blue Peters purchase shows signs of expansion and a commitment to both preservation while running a business model which is under developement. It might be also possible that they want to go it alone themselves, as stock and diesels are being lined up, but for now I look forward to the A2 returning, most likely in Brunwick Green and able to run for those interested so expect it to be available and employed by WCRC and DBS similar to Hoskings own fleet at present.

It is indeed good news, but also the sign of interesting times ahead.

7. Big Al

Big Al Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Moderator

No I do not currently volunteer
    Crewe as a locomotive depot and also as a starting point for steam is infinitely preferrable to Carnforth in my view. You can begin to sense that what may emerge over time is that JH will split his locomotives between Southall and Crewe. No doubt once David Smith works out what may be coming down he will be even more territorial about water at Carnforth and at Hellifield on anything that is DBS operated. But there will be ways around that, I am sure, and I presume Blue Peter will be fitted with air brakes to increase its versatility, and of course, make it available for DBS/Riviera charters.

8. spicer21

spicer21 Guest

I could be wrong, but I thought she was already fitted with air brakes ?

9. ADB968008

ADB968008 Guest

With every silver lining there's always a cloud... it could be that RSGT becoming a charter TOC, that EWS decides to exit the market too... though tbh I think RSGT would make a better job of it.

10. Sheff

Sheff Resident of Nat Pres

Retired Engineer & Heritage Volunteer
    I'm pretty sure she isn't.

11. spicer21

spicer21 Guest

Very likely you're right. It seems a long time now since she was running on the mainline, and obviously there are some high profile locomotives even now which are not air brake fitted. It just seems like there was a spate of locos that were converted, and I seemed to recall BP was one of them, but as it is usually done during a heavy overhaul, which she hasn't had since returning to the mainline in the 90s, probably not.

12. The Black Hat

The Black Hat Member

Defender of the Faith
    Im not sure whether the future here is as bleak. I think that at Carnforth the current operation of adding an engine here or at Hellifield will maintain its role as the norm for WCRC, however, Hoskings engines have been made available and used by both WCRC and DBS without any significant issues. Braunton is a good example of a Hoskings engine which has been used by WCRC many times since its return to the mainline. What will be interesting is just how far the Trust go towards being a mainline operation in their own right, as they are aquiring diesels, stock and depots to match. The logical development would be to become an operator in their own right, or they could remain short of that an be possibly the greatest supplier of trains - being engines, stock, crew, etc to an operator. This developing situation is very interesting as to me it represents the possibilities of fundemental change to the mainline steam operation so long as the Trust as a company is sustainable.

While air brakes might be a prerequisit for DBS and subsequently Riviera I can see that 60532 would be an engine that both sides would use and both can come to an agreement with the Royal Scot Trust about its use. WCRC I think would be the nautural lead to seek to use the engine more, given their sphere of operation and the method in the fact that they operate a fleet based on BR late crest period, which Blue Peter will most likely return as - as its well known engines out of this are not normally selected. It would put Blue Peter as being able to be sent to WCRC on hire, with WCRC crews being able to be rostered and trained accordingly, to then be used on roles such as Scarborough Flyer, Dalesman/Scarborough Spa Express, as well as other large loading tours such as Cathedrals Express tours in or to the North. Its equally possible the engine is worked out of Southhall for heavy loaded tours but that all depends where the work for the engine is at and where its heavy lifting and quick acceleration is needed. In any case, Blue Peters return is one of the biggest reinforcements for mainline steam - as it is the kind of engine that is capable of matching the demands the modern railway will require of steam to ensure its continued presence on the network.

13. GHWood

GHWood Member

Brilliant news re. BP's purchase - hope it's not too long before she's back on the mainline. Would be nice if NELPG could still be involved with the locomotive given their long association with the locomotive and their expert knowledge of looking after her but all that aside, it's just nice to know a working future awaits for 60532.

14. rule55

rule55 Member

Oh, okay, it's all starting to make sense now.. The real reason that David Smith has an aversion to Tornado is because it's painted the wrong colour. ;-)

15. acorb

acorb Part of the furniture

Excellent news, only had the one run behind her in 1997 over Shap which she dismissed effortlessly. It was quite poignant for me as it was the one and only time my granddad joined me on a mainline trip before he became ill. For him it was a trip back in time. I saw her again at Barrow Hill a few years ago and it was quite sad, she was just sat there waiting for someone to step in and put her back where she belongs. She is an incredibly powerful loco which will provide some much needed support to the mainline business.
    Jeremy Hosking is a very successful businessman, but also an enthusiast. We are very lucky to have someone with such deep pockets to bring many of our dreams to reality. I have every confidence that he has the long term interests of these much loved locos at heart and it also seems the may be further plans afoot. We owe him a great deal of gratitude and thanks.

The Black Hat likes this.
  16. The Black Hat

The Black Hat Member

Defender of the Faith
    Thought somoone would pick up on this! While Im not one for thinking the paint matters normally, WCRC have a preference on how engines appear when they are supplied to them. The K1 livery ballot by NELPG did have that WCRC prefered BR Black for the K1, although it was the favourite for the poll. I think overall its a side issue but does explain a little more about operation.

Tornado has been painted and will be painted again, but WCRC still wont touch it for a while yet. 60532 will be different and to be honest, I can't wait to see it back.

17. D7076

D7076 Well-Known Member

So 777 coming off the mainline was down to colour, not gauging issues.
    4464 not running last week was down to colour not the FBU strike.
    You better tell the owners of 5305 and 6233 what will happen if they have tenders with LMS on the side as they will get no more work from WCRC.

What a pile of verbal diohorria.

Perhaps they just prefer to work with a selected groups/individuals eg John Cameron, PRCLT, NELPG, Ian Riley, Chris Beet etc.

Tony172, al4466 and Bean-counter like this.
  18. The Black Hat

The Black Hat Member

Defender of the Faith
    Hey! What did I say about it being a side issue and the fact that is is a preference and not policy!

WCRC do have very good working relationships with a lot of who you mentioned - and when it comes to engines being selected you can garuntee that by the colour of them alone, its so far down the list its untrue. There have been areas where the idea of what scheme the engine carries have seen WCRC use them anyway. Leander and the Duchess being the obvious examples, but then WCRC also enjoy having their engines in a guise that suits them, as in Galatea in maroon and Leander going black.

WCRC are known for the operation and means to supply a working heritage service for any tour operator. Their work here has seen business grow and customers such as Steam Dreams return, on top of their own work with regular summer services like the Jacobite, Scarborough Spa Express. Having such a team with a good track record comes from reliability, but also from consistent operation and selecting the right engines, that in turn seeing the engines selected on reliability, known appearance, maintaiance record and continued working relationships. As such I think it would be marvellous if 60532 was a part of that future.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2014
  19. D7076

D7076 Well-Known Member

When did WCRC purchase Leander?

20. Duty Druid

Duty Druid Resident of Nat Pres

Err, unless I'm very much mistake, Leander is owned by the Beet family, so owners prerogative and nothing to with West Coast!

Personally, I think its a nice touch, and would very much like to see her in this guise darn sarf...... :)

As for 60532. lets just see where she ends up, thought if I were a gambling man, mine would be on Crewe.......;)