If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

A1 SLT Tornado Tour Guide 2018

Discussion in 'What's Going On' started by Where's Mazeppa?, Sep 30, 2017.

1. Where's Mazeppa?

Where's Mazeppa? Member

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Now available to view at https://www.a1steam.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/09/Tornado2018TourGuide.pdf

The brochure sets a new horizon of August 2018 for its description of planned outings - well beyond the April "Ebor Flyer" 90 mph trip for which details have already been released. Pick of the latest bunch surely has to be the 21st July Talisman KGX-Newcastle, indicated to be another 90 mph run with Tornado on the outward leg, and D9009 Alycidon on the return. But also of considerable interest a planned 10 Year Anniversary excursion from Darlington to Chester on 1st August - out via Copy Pit, return via Hope Valley.

Also included are outings to Canterbury (from Peterborough) a Yorkshire Pullman KGX-Scarborough (at Belmond-level prices), and Leicester - Holyhead. Much variety here, and much to savour the prospect of in this latest tour guide. All massively helpful in working out how far 2018's somewhat constricting rail tour budget will actually go!! .

2. 1020 Shireman

1020 Shireman Part of the furniture Friend

Relaxingly retired
    Looks like another expensive year behind the big green engine. Hope the motorway network is fit for early morning and late night driving. Might even have to resort to overnighters ...

3. John Petley

John Petley Part of the furniture

Researcher/writer and composer of classical music
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    I think there's going to be a great deal with which we will be tempted next year. The A1SLT has certainly come up with a very appetising programme, but no doubt 35028 will be at the head of some tempting itineraries too, even if there may not be anything quite as special as the end of Southern steam commemorative trains this year. Then we have the return to steam of Clun Castle, which we can take for granted will soon be putting in superb performances on a par with 5043. I guess too that 35018, once its teething problems have been ironed out, will be quite a draw. Also next year will see the first offerings from Hosking Rail or whatever it will call itself. Oh, and next August marks another big anniversary up in the North West......

We're all going to need deep pockets, by the sound of things!

4. 1020 Shireman

Relaxingly retired
    Anyone got a 'How to Rob a Bank Successfully' handbook???

Will RL likes this.
  5. 60017

60017 Resident of Nat Pres Friend

Retired from corporate slavery :o)
    No I do not currently volunteer
    I love the retro look on the 10 years in steam poster. The A1 guys certainly know how to market their brand!

Mick45305 and Where's Mazeppa? like this.
  6. 7143

7143 New Member

Engineer
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Good marketing in terms of the Tour Guide Route Map on p16 too. Colour and page number referenced, very easy to look at and understand. Other operators could learn a lesson here.

7. acorb

acorb Part of the furniture

2 tickets for the Talisman booked, will be my first trip on the ECML since the triple A4 event many years ago and hopefully my steam speed record will be improved too! Also will be my first mainline run behind a deltic.

8. 1020 Shireman

Relaxingly retired
    We've booked the Ebor Flyer and Talisman so far. Definitely going to be an expensive 10th anniversary year. Fancied booking First Non-Dining but both trains are only First Dining and Standard. Rather eat out at destination than on train. The others we're interested in, The Mad Hatter and Canterbury Tale have all 3 classes so might go First but wandering through the empty stock on the Torbays and the Raider I can't say I was impressed by First. Many of the seat cushions were really sunken and looking the worse for wear. Riviera don't seem to spend much on their stock these days and it's beginning to show internally and externally. Worth £50 extra per ticket? Probably not.