If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

a warning for the future?

Discussion in 'Heritage Railways & Centres in the UK' started by Reading General, Feb 5, 2018.

1. 30854

30854 Resident of Nat Pres

Retired
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Serious question: Does the (traditional low tech) wheeltappers' hammer still have any useful role to play on herigage lines? Or, is modern ultrasonic testing kit within reach?

Also, tyre flats: 30 years ago, it seemed rare to get on a train on the Southern Region without at least one "flat" (I'd have nominated Slade Green's collection of ever-increasingly tired EPB's as the worst offenders - against some pretty stiff competition). As rolling stock problems go, how seriously is a 'flat' be viewed by heritage lines these days?

2. gwalkeriow

gwalkeriow Well-Known Member

Retired.
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Wheel tapping was done to detect loose tyres, whereas Ultrasonics looks for axle defects.

3. 30854

30854 Resident of Nat Pres

Retired
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Thanks for the clarification Gary .... My bad, though my question about tyres themselves stands.

4. threelinkdave

threelinkdave Well-Known Member

Retired
    Stratford-upon-Avon or in a brake KD to BH
    Flats are reportable defects. The problem is the only solution is tyre turning. On the big railway they have ground mounted tyre lathes so can reprofile without removing the wheel. I am aware that the big railways facilities have been used otherwise its bogie out and wheel out. Not a job all heritage railways can achieve easily

30854 likes this.
  5. StoneRoad

StoneRoad Member

Restoration of heritage items, mainly in timber.
    I've reported a few flats and other faults on Heritage lines, with "mixed" results; from "thank you, we'll look into that asap", and a fitter appearing to "Oh, that, been like it for ages, no need to do anything" the latter not always verbally !
    Not only do I restore wooden bodied rolling stock, I was a guard on a Welsh Narrow-gauge line for a decade or more, so I think I know what I'm looking at / listening to !
    I have also reported flats and a faulty pantograph to the Metro control at Gosforth ... with a pleasing response.
    Was on an HST more than a few years ago which ran a hot box ... that caused some disruption, the smell is distinctive and very different from hot brakes ...
    The number of dmus and freight waggon flats on the Tyne Valley line is enough to make me want to have a reporting number on speed dial !

30854 likes this.
  6. John Baritone

John Baritone New Member

In confirmation of your point, Steve, what I've read in various RAIB reports is that delegating work is no problem - but railways cannot delegate responsibility.

Bluenosejohn likes this.
  7. John Baritone

John Baritone New Member

I know guards on the ELR invariably do that.