If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

A Few Questions on NRM+/The NRM Revamp

Discussion in 'Heritage Railways & Centres in the UK' started by jonhewes, Nov 3, 2010.

1. Chris W

Chris W New Member

I'm glad that the Great Hall is getting a revamp. It really needs it. Most of the displays feel dated (not including the locos of course) and should be replaced soon (with the exception of the Bullet Train and the Duchess of Hamilton of course). Most museums have exhibits that are firm favourites that last for decades (e.g. the space exploration exhibit at the science museum, which has been there for a good 20 year or more), however displays like the Royal Mail display or the high speed rail exhibit have reached the end of their life.

I would like it if the NRM+ revamp did two things. Firstly, I would like there to be more scope for the displays to be updated as the subject of the display evolves. This isn't difficult to do with sufficiently planning and foresight (leaving space for new displays; allowing video displays to be updated; using wording that will maintain consistency when more material is added). Secondly, I would like there to be more space for temporary exhibits like those on the balcony (currently occupied by the GWR Reflections exhibit). This would allow more of the collection to be displayed as so much material does disappear into warehouses never to be seen by the public.

Finally, has consideration ever been given to adopting some version of the "Science Museum Lates"? To explain for those that don't know it the SciM holds monthly themed events where it opens its doors after 7pm to adults only. People are free to explore the museum without children getting in the way so they can play with all of the toys. There are also numerous lectures, shows and talks which are adapted specifically for adult audiences (both in terms of the style of explanation and humour). Whilst the NRM's location outside of London probably means it wouldn't draw enough visitors to run such an event monthly I can imagine that running it twice a year could be a massive success. Talks and lectures could be adapted to be more friendly towards experienced enthusiasts. I could come up with lots of ideas of how to adapt such an event to the NRM's material and I'm sure other people could think of plenty more.