If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

9466 on the Looe branch 19th/26th Sept

Discussion in 'What's Going On' started by acorb, Mar 17, 2010.

1. IKB

IKB Member

Thanks for that, Malc.
    I thought I'd read that 9466 was facing smokebox first into Looe & Liskeard, so assumed it would be on the front of the train.
    Guess that means she won't be working too hard, otherwise she'll be pushing the rest of train, not a good idea, especially on a climb.

2. D1004

D1004 New Member

Less than a month to go this exciting event, with Lyd also at Launceston the first weekend and the Bodmin and Wenford diesel gala also on the second weekend who else is heading west?

3. DUKE71000

DUKE71000 Member

I will be there on the first Sunday heading down on RTC's Cornishman with supposedly 5029. Cant wait for this as the Looe branch is one of my favourite lines and I’m finally going to do it with some decent motive power, as a 153 really does really do it for me. :)

4. gw driver

gw driver New Member

Good afternoon everyone,

Well, with just over 3 weeks to go until 94XX power arrives in Cornwall I thought it would be a good idea to bring this topic back to the top of the pile again!

Tickets are still available, so if you are still pondering about making the trip please contact Vintage Trains or visit their web site http://www.vintagetrains.co.uk/vt2010_looe_trains.htm to find out all the details.
    Remember that in addition to the runs on the Looe Branch there are positioning moves to and from Plymouth at each end of the day.

It would be great to see any of you there - come over and say hello!

I wonder when a 94XX last went over the Royal Albert Bridge?

Regards to All,

Bruce Murray

5. George

George New Member

Hi to all, just noticed the following on the Unofficial West Somerset Railway yahoo chat group, hopefully the ticket sales will pick up and the Looe runs will go ahead,

regards George

"Dear All,

As many of you know FGW are arranging, in conjunction with Vintage
    trains, some Steam specials on the Looe branch during 2 Sundays in
    September which also creates a couple of class 37 hauled positioning
    moves from Solihull - Plymouth on Saturday September 18th and returning
    to the Midlands on Monday 27th September. At present tickets
    sales for all these trains, and in particular the positioning
    moves, are not selling quite as well as expected and there is a risk
    the operation will have to be cancelled if sales do not increase in the
    next 2 weeks.

I have received the attached material, sent on for your viewing.

Full details are on Vintage Trains web site -
    www.vintagetrains.co.uk <http://www.vintagetrains.co.uk> and all
    tickets are booked via Vintage trains on 0121 708 4960.

The steam trains operate on Sunday 19th & 26th September 2010."

6. Bulleid Pacific

Bulleid Pacific Part of the furniture

A Thingy...
    Well, the only time we'll really know what is happening is the week before. I've already booked my ticket, as have two mates for the 26 September. I'm fairly surprised that tickets sales have slowed down, as they seemed to be going quite well when I booked... Maybe they'll cancel one run per day and combine tickets, possibly adding extra time at Looe, although this would have to take into account the passage of the 'normal' service (I think this is probably the reason why take-up is less than expected).

7. malc

malc Part of the furniture

I suspect that the ticket sales would have started off well with enthusiasts (track bashers in particular) seeing it as a "must do", being, I think, the only line in the South West that hasn't seen steam in recent years (Past-Time having covered most of the others).

When I first saw it mentioned, I also though of it as a "must do" for that reason, but then I started thinking about what it would involve...
    - £25 for a fairly short trip, diesel-hauled in one direction (and, if recent experence of Vintage Trains trips is anything to go by, pushed by the diesel in the other)
    - the cost of getting down to Cornwall.
    - at least one night's accommodation (a second night and a day off work if I was to do the positioning move back to Plymouth).
    - Arthur!
    ...and, much as I'd like to have steam to Looe, there are too many things against it for me.

8. Sheff

Sheff Resident of Nat Pres

Retired Engineer & Heritage Volunteer
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    The price looks steep at the side of say a return on the branch of £3.40, or even Looe-Plymouth return @ £5.50. But I guess the ticket price is a function of the fixed costs of running steam anywhere on the network, so the shorter the trip, the less attractive the deal. I can't see Joe Public jumping on board at that price sadly. So in the end, it's a nice idea, but to me the cost is too high, but then again, so is the distance, so I probably wouldn't go for it at any price, unless I was already there on holiday (as I happened to be last March).

9. Bulleid Pacific

A Thingy...
    Yes, but what seems to be forgotten here is the fact that it is also a ticket for everywhere west of Newton Abbot, which is useful for those arriving by rail (I'm driving from Pembrokeshire to Taunton, catching the train down, riding the branch, train back, then hopefully get home by 24:00 that day). When you consider that a day return from Newton to Looe is £9.50, its not that bad a deal. I must admit that I'm doing it as a track basher; its just a shame that I haven't got the time to do the Liskeard to Plymouth run in the evening just to connect things up a bit.

10. MAPLE CHRIS

MAPLE CHRIS Member

On one of the weekends there is a celebration of 50 years of the 37s with 10 different locos perhaps thats the reason for poor sales with the positioning trains which are due to be 37 hauled.

11. MAPLE CHRIS

MAPLE CHRIS Member

Surprised that this is not selling well as small engines and branchlines are a dying breed these days i am glad that i have done all the branchlines in my home patch with steam as i cannot see them happening again i am booked on the looe specials as well so hope they are not cancelled

12. channel

channel Member

Assistant Harbour Master
    We looked at doing a couple of these but the cost of driving down to Cornwall, combined with hotel costs made it a rather expensive couple of days out. Perhaps these branch line runs with a pannier would be better if they were closer to a large catchment area . . . . not that I am biased to the Avon branches but I really do think you need to be where the people are - especially 'out of season'.

The best railtours I have been on have been those behind panniers . . . hope for all involved bookings pick up.

13. RayMason

RayMason Member

Company secretary. Finance director
    I have been asked to "plug" the Looe shuttles on Nat Pres--a pleasure!!

A joint venture with FGW therre are still seats available but MORE need to be sold. To encourage FGW/TOCs to get involved in these projects I feel it would be helpful for this to be a sell-out--maybe a few people will buy a ticket even if unsure if they can go. I have 6 but will be in Germany on the IGE trip.......!
    Decision time approaches+ I suspect that MORE tickets need selling this week--to-day even!!

£25 incl travel west of Newton Abbott..........

Please try + support this imaginative VT/FGW venture. Ray Mason

14. D1004

D1004 New Member

By this time next week 9466 should be tucked up at Laira after a day out on the Looe branch. I understand there are still tickets left if you want to enjoy the sounds of 9466 lifting the best part of 240 tonnes up the branch. From Coombe Junction up the hill to Liskeard it is mostly 1 in 38 and 1 in 40, so chances are the Class 37 will need a push! On the way back to Plymouth there's the climb out of Liskeard and then the 1 in 68 up through Keyham.

D1004

15. gw driver

gw driver New Member

Dear All,

It has now been confirmed to us that the Looe Branch specials are definitely on for both Sundays, so those of you who were hedging your bets about going can now buy your tickets.

9466 is scheduled to move to Laira this week.

Come on down, say hello and experience the awesome power and noise that is a 94xx hard at work!

We look forward to seeing you all.

Regards to all,

Bruce Murray

16. IKB

IKB Member

Have booked for the last Looe trip and the Royal Albert on the 26th.
    Hoping to get down on the 19th to get some lineside shots.

17. BillR

BillR Well-Known Member

Times are now on uksteam.info, cheers David.

18. SteamHawk216

SteamHawk216 Member

Retired, my occupation for the rest of my life.
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Hello All,

The Class 37 booked to do "The Down Devonian" on Saturday, then Tn'T with 9466 on the Sundays is 37685.

I believe 9466 is to arrive at Laira by road, please does anyone have any info, date & times etc. of this locomotive movement and positioning. Thanks in advance for any forth coming info.

Best regards SteamHawk216.

19. Spamcan81

Spamcan81 Nat Pres stalwart

Training moles
    Looking to do this by train on the 26th. Can get to Liskeard in time for a ride on the second departure and also phot the third departing Looe and fourth departing Liskeard before catching a train back to London and beyond. Just a small matter of getting to and from a location I have in mind but there's always a taxi.

20. Bulleid Pacific

A Thingy...
    May see you down there, Spamcan, although I'll be on the 14:55 departure on the 26th, so you may be either lineside or gone by then.