If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

92245 and the lost Franco-Crosti

Discussion in 'Steam Traction' started by m&gn50, Mar 30, 2015.

1. m&gn50

m&gn50 New Member

Can't help noticing this is getting cut up, or sectioned, same thing. If 77020/1/2 goes ahead then we'll have the full Standard house save the above. Not being my field entirely, after the pre heat was isolated, good locos? Fire box etc same, could an existing boiler be modified, with new smokebox, or new build? Any interest? Be interesting if anyone worked on them anyway.

2. Corbs

Corbs Well-Known Member

ISTR someone saying they were regarded as having the power of an 8F but given the same duties as other 9Fs, and that power was still down from a 'normal' 9F even after rebuilding.

3. LMS2968

LMS2968 Part of the furniture

Lecturer retired: Archivist of Stanier Mogul Fund
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    They were generally regarded as 8Fs and used as such. On the Shotwicks on the Wirral, they were allowed one bogie wagon less that the standard 9Fs, same as a Stanier 8F.

houghtonga and Corbs like this.
  4. ssk2400

ssk2400 New Member

electrical engineer
    No I do not currently volunteer
    What was the advantage over this type of boiler compared to standard ?

5. Jimc

Jimc Part of the furniture

Once computers, now part time writer I suppose.
    Feedwater heating. In theory it should make for more economical running and maybe even better boiler life. In practice, like a number of these things, it never seemed to work quite as well as you'd think it ought to. This was especially true when trying to cram into the british loading gauge.

6. MellishR

MellishR Resident of Nat Pres Friend

Given the disappointing performance of the Crosti-boilered 9Fs, both with and without the feedwater heaters in use, and the very limited use that would result even if the immense cost of restoration to working order could ever be found, sectioning for display would seem an appropriate fate.

7. 5944

5944 Resident of Nat Pres

Train Maintainer for GTR at Hornsey
    It worked quite well on horrendously inefficient Italian locos, but not so well on a modern UK loco.

8. maddog

maddog New Member

Given that 9Fs rarely if ever are taxed on preserved lines a crosti-boiler would perhaps make a more attractive financial locomotive in fuel costs.

Given how ugly they were and the problems that were had with them and presumably it'd cost a fair bit to convert a loco i can't see it happening. If they were fondly and widely remembered it would perhaps be different.

9. meeee

meeee Member

Feed water heaters of various designs have been successfully used all over the world and are a sound idea. The Franco-Crosti idea of using waste heat from the exhaust requires a lot of space for the pre-heater and the exhaust steam jacket that insulates it. I suspect the 9f just didn't have enough space to make the system big enough to make a difference.

They wouldn't be much use on a preserved railway though. Preserved locos spend a lot of time stood still or coasting, and the system works best when the loco is working hard.

Tim

10. 26D_M

26D_M Part of the furniture

It would be nice if a benefactor could be found to at least cosmetically restore this 9F as a monument to Crewe Works.
    Maybe Mr Hosking's people could use 92212 as a donor being one of the common or garden Swindon examples

11. 46118

46118 Part of the furniture

92245 is apparently to be used in some way as a tribute to Woodhams, but the boiler has been removed to Peak Rail for overhaul, and presumably further use.
    Does anyone know what that further use might be, and has there been a change of ownership involved?

12. Miff

Miff Part of the furniture Friend

I think all the photos I've ever seen of the Crosti 9Fs showed them in a pretty filthy condition. Are there any pristine and shining ex-works pictures anywhere?

13. m&gn50

m&gn50 New Member

14. PolSteam

PolSteam Member

Retired, owner of Wickham type 17a TP57P
    Oh well it takes all sorts, I suppose.

There seems to be so many NEW BUILD projects, why not get together and build a batch of new engines just for preserved lines?

Basic idea. Modern design, with no need for ash pits or going underneath to oil up.

Something with SC smoke box, and rocking grate, for lazy crews who need to get to the pub in a hurry. Two cylinder Walschaerts valve gear, Main bearings all roller, and central lubrication. Boiler all steel welded construction. Fabricated cylinder blocks. Electric lights in the cab, and for oiling up, either from batteries, or steam turbine.

Basic shape and size? Something 4MT?

15. Jimc

Jimc Part of the furniture

Once computers, now part time writer I suppose.
    With preserved lines needing to be good neighbours, are s/c smokebox really desirable?

16. PolSteam

PolSteam Member

Retired, owner of Wickham type 17a TP57P
    OK. lets say optional SC Smoke Box.

Oh, I forgot, compensated suspension, on driving axles. No more messing around with springs!