If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

850 Lord Nelson

Discussion in 'Steam Traction' started by 73129, Oct 25, 2007.

1. stuart9941

stuart9941 Member

Boiler Basher
    Have you been spending a lot of time with 73129? According to him every loco in the country is Ideal for the MHR and should be based there...

2. hassell_a

hassell_a Member

He's moved on and wants Lode Star from the NRM now instead..... \:D/

3. 8-10 Brass Cleaner

8-10 Brass Cleaner Member

Bridges
    Like I said.......

lets work the logic out.

The engine is owned by the Nation, i.e me you and everyone else on the forum. I'd say that gives me the right to know. And everyone else too.

So then, unconfirmed reports to me, say that not a single stay was broken, and the future is looking good for Lord Nelson. Lets hope they are true.

How hard was that?

4. stuart9941

stuart9941 Member

Boiler Basher
    So just cause you think the national collection is owned by the nation you should know everything? Let me guess, your also digging into the exact reasons why Green Arrow is not being kept to mainline standards, You want a 1000 page written report on Scotsman's overhaul?

For god sake man, can't you just accept that there are things going on in the background that do not belong in the public arena? Whatever has happened, there COULD be action taken following (Not saying anything just saying COULD!).

So put it this way...(Totally Hypothetical) somewhere along the line, a contractor has done something wrong, be it as far back as the 80's. Legal action is possible, but due to someone posting unsubstantiated details on the internet, legal action is thrown out.

Why can't people just leave it up to those who know what they are doing? Sit back, Relax and WAIT!

5. Shoddy127

Shoddy127 Well-Known Member

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    "The engine is owned by the Nation, i.e me you and everyone else on the forum. I'd say that gives me the right to know. And everyone else too".

Correct Nellie is owned by the nation and reports suggest that it isnt so bad as first thought, this is also correct, but if/when or wherever 850 returns to action it would be great to see you join the support crew and come along 3 days at a time for 1 trip so you can obtain this sort of knowledge first hand and we can all see where your loyalty lies, with the engine and group who run it or keeping Tom, Dick & Harry up to date with information. Im certainly not going to be denied the enjoyment and pleasure of experiencing a working mainline steam loco in action when Im in a position of trust like other support crew members are too for that matter for the likes of you who "has the right to know"......

6. plat 9 Brighton

plat 9 Brighton New Member

tba
    In or on a steam loco some where in the world part
    Here here. Well said Shoddy. Sum things are best left unsaid for the greater good of all, it's a shame some of the mag's don't do the same. That is why some people think they should know everything. ](*,)

7. 8-10 Brass Cleaner

8-10 Brass Cleaner Member

Bridges
    Have I hit a nerve or something?.

IMHO all the secrecy bullmanure stinks.

Face it, its a high profile engine, that profile made by the fact its owned by the nation, and a large part of the restoration was also paid for by the nation.

As its broken down so soon after a rebuild are you suprised people speculate why its broke? I'm not.

IMHO, information prevents speculation. And information is very sparce from you lot at Eastleigh

8. plat 9 Brighton

plat 9 Brighton New Member

tba
    In or on a steam loco some where in the world part
    Face it, YOU will never know! [-(

9. stepney60

stepney60 Nat Pres stalwart

The ELPS is a private group, just because they happen to have custody of an NRM engine does not mean they should be subjected to scrutiny by people who probably have little or no idea how the society works on internet message boards. Would you expect every minute scrap of detail about the Bodmin and Wenford Railway to be made publis now they have 120?

10. ipod

ipod Well-Known Member

Why not ask the NRM if you are that interested?... personally I'm not too bothered... odd looking thing, isn't it? 8-[

11. Shoddy127

Shoddy127 Well-Known Member

Not hit a nerve at all 8-10, it just makes me laugh with situations like this. I think from your quoted post above, I think theres more to your comments than meets the eye as well & I mean "you lot at Eastleigh". Shame you havent put your location down, might give some more clues away......

Best thing to do is join the membership, theres a form on the website, join the support crew and show us all how it should be done, would be good to see how a pro does it.

BTW Chris its ERPS not the above LoL

12. one thing that strikes me about nat prez in general is the fact that 95% of our members are all paid up members of the armchair club and they think they know how to run a railway so perhaps the 5% that are active preservationists should take a month out and let the armchair brigade take over we would watch in awe to find that stuff you profess to know and think your all right about dosent work so either shut up or do somthing about it and get out into preservation

*rant over now exprcting a dressing down in pms from the mods and admin*

13. stepney60

stepney60 Nat Pres stalwart

Damn, I couldn't remember if it was L or R, just my luck to have a 50:50 and get it wrong...

14. std tank

std tank Part of the furniture

Retired
    Rough shunter, which railway do you work at?

15. beetlejuice

beetlejuice Well-Known Member

Student with 2 part time jobs, Windsurfing coach a
    I think it's slightly higher than that mate! there are more volunteers on here than that.

16. Woof

Woof Member

A T.O.C.
    But think of the mess you,ll end up having to sort out?

17. Steve

Steve Resident of Nat Pres Friend

Gentleman of leisure, nowadays
    Those that don't do always know how to do it better than those that do. It's a fact of life, whether it's running a heritage railway or your own company/organisation.

Coming back on topic, as an Engineer, I'd very much like to know exactly what the problems are with 850 and its crown stays. It's all part of the learning process. However, I can understand why others want it to be kept quiet and one thing I don't have is a right to know.

18. Middle_C

Middle_C New Member

Can I suggest that we are patient and await the results of the investigations
    which are taking place. One thing I am sure of is that the NRM, ERPS and all
    other interested parties are doing their utmost to resolve these problems so
    that we can all see 850 back on the main line soonest.
    Middle_C

19. cct man

cct man Part of the furniture

CONSTRUCTION
    You know, considering you hide behind an alias, that not bad for you.

20. banburysaint

banburysaint Member

To try and get back to the question of the topic, we dont know when 850 will be back on the main line.

It seems a shame that so much effort is being put into trying to apportion blame, when it appears that not all the facts are known.

I would not imagine that the HLF would be willing to allow the engine to be stuffed and mounted after alot of their money went into restoring the loco. Lets just hope that the engineers can find a soultion to the boiler problems.