If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

7822 'Foxcote Manor'

Discussion in 'Steam Traction' started by Jeff Albiston, Apr 12, 2011.

1. Jeff Albiston

Jeff Albiston Member

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    According to the loco roster on the Enthuiast/Archive page of the Llangollen Railway website, 44806 and 5199 have been rostered to do the majority of the trains, with 3802 filling in some weekends.

At present, 7822 only has 3 steamings at the beginning of July, with the possibility of attending the 60's weekend at the end of month.

2. Jeff Albiston

Jeff Albiston Member

Sorry if this is a bit late. 7822 will appear at our 60's Gala this up-coming weekend (28th/29th). As at last year's event, 7822 will appear in a 1960's weathered condition.

3. Jeff Albiston

Jeff Albiston Member

Hi again folks,
    7822 did do some running days at Llangollen after the 60's weekend and before the start of our summer Thomas the Tank event, so apologises if I didn't post those dates on here as I was also on holiday in Swanage and unable to gain access to a PC.

Anyhow, 7822 will run on the Llangollen Railway from 18th to 24th August. The weekend of 18th/19th August will also see 3802 in action.

7822 has now re-appeared back into her orginial livery after she was repainted into a 60's weathered condition for the 60's weekend.

Details of all further news, running days etc will be posted here.

Thanks

4. Gav106

Gav106 Well-Known Member

Lastest SR has the news that foxcote is going into blue. Will be interesting to see this.

5. 05micfis

05micfis Member

Also saw this. Something for the purists to work themselves into a frenzy over but will certainly be interesting to see a Manor in blue.

6. lewis.maddox

lewis.maddox Member

Visitor Engagement Manager, Severn Valley Railway
    I for one cannot wait to see something completely different!

Thanks,
    Lewis

7. ADB968008

ADB968008 Guest

Last month SR also reported a Black 5 maybe going BR blue.. who knows next month it'll be a B1 in BR blue..

8. Gav106

Gav106 Well-Known Member

And SR is probally right. From people I know involved with the red 8f the gcr is very happy with it being that livery as joe public are always connenting on how good it looks. So the gcr would (I imagine) love to add a bright blue engine to its fleet. Add to that the apple green n2 and joe public would happily return to the line to see them again.

9. guard_jamie

guard_jamie Part of the furniture

Signalman
    Not something I'll be turning out to see, I'm afraid. Call me a frenzied purist if you like.

I appreciate that any loco running today is excellent, a miracle even, and testimony to its supporters, and 7822 is no exception, but I believe that, although heritage railways and loco groups are not the NRM, they have some duty to the historical message.

Now don't take that to mean that I think only engines right for a line should run on a line. Or that no changes should ever be made to an engine for ease of maintenance/use. It depends on the visual impact - and other things which need not be gone into here. I'm not averse to a loco carrying a livery one of its classmates carried though it never did, for example. Or the name of a classmate.

I'm afraid I don't buy the 'if you can pay for it you can do whatever you want with it' argument either, really. Representations of the past ought not to be on sale to the highest bidder. Again, I think there must be some duty to the historical message.

Just my two pennyworth, of course. This isn't a malicious diatribe, just my opinion, no need to panic. I'm only going to stay away. Just as I've only been to the GCR once since the 8F arrived. Maybe I'm missing out. But personally I'm happy.

*Waits to be shouted at*

10. Neil_Scott

Neil_Scott Part of the furniture

Railway servant
    I quite agree. A blue Manor and/or a blue Black 5 does nothing for me. Not something I'd go and see on purpose. A sad consequence of the red 8F perhaps.

11. david1984

david1984 Resident of Nat Pres

I have to agree with Jamie & Neil, I do wonder if some of these odd liveries of late has something to do with the more recent generation who grew up with Thomas and it's attendant 37 different bright liveries coming into some money as they get older.

Don't get me wrong, a bit of variation is nice, but some liveries are wandering that far from prototypical it's ceasing to be preservation in some cases and just being a tourist attraction.

12. Thompson1706

Thompson1706 Part of the furniture

Retired
    It's o.k. for you lot , but I'll have hide inside the carriage works while it goes past. What a ridiculous idea to paint 'Foxcote Manor' in a phoney livery- especially blue. Maybe they intend it to double up as a 'Thomas' character.

Bob.

13. Neil_Scott

Railway servant
    As you, Jamie and I are all in our 20s I think I wonder about that!

14. Neil_Scott

Railway servant
    Well something has to replace 47298!

15. Thompson1706

Thompson1706 Part of the furniture

Retired
    That will be 'Jessie', which is being converted back to side tank form.

Bob.

16. Jamessquared

Jamessquared Nat Pres stalwart

I'm with Jamie, Neil and Bob as well on this one. Blue Manor? No thanks...

(And yes, I know a certain railway I volunteer at has a Blue P tank, but in our defence she has worn that livery longer than any other "historically accurate" livery, dating from the 1960s when such things were more common. I can't imagine, for example, that we would paint Sir Archie blue, either BR or Bluebell corporate.

So the GCR will be having a wide berth steered round it.

Oh, and by the way, I'm in my early forties and grew up with the books of TtTE, but no memories of steam on the mainline and no conveniently close mid-seventies industrial steam. So my early memories of steam were preserved railways - but I still like historical authenticity! I also find most BR liveries leave me cold, being drab and dull, but that's another story...

Tom

17. Jimc

Jimc Part of the furniture

Once computers, now part time writer I suppose.
    No I do not currently volunteer
    The time to really complain will be if they wrap a spurious open toped "dome" casing round the safety valve cover and name her Edward...

18. Jamessquared

Jamessquared Nat Pres stalwart

Hmmm, two wheels too many for that, and two wheels too few to be Gordon. Give or take some outside valve gear, she could be Henry, post Crewe rebuild that happened mid-series - but she would have to be green for that!

Tom

19. lewis.maddox

lewis.maddox Member

Visitor Engagement Manager, Severn Valley Railway
    Is it really such a big deal? One engine, on one line is going into an 'unconventional' livery for about a year? Then reverting back to something more authentic. If the whole fleet were going to be painted blue, then I think that would be a bigger deal. 7822 in blue is bound to get more heads turning, Joe Public doesn't care if an engine is prototypical or not, it's just a steam engine to them - which in itself is a massive tourist attraction.

7822 in blue won't stop me taking photographs of her, or prevent me from riding behind.

This hasn't been directed at any previous post in particular, but the whole livery argument in general has been going on for too long...at the end of the day, the colour of an engine won't please everyone.

Thanks,
    Lewis

20. guard_jamie

guard_jamie Part of the furniture

Signalman
    Just because Joe Public doesn't care about prototypical accuracy or not doesn't mean that things needn't - or even shouldn't - be done properly. But we are just voicing our opinions Lewis, no need to pooh-pooh them. I respect your opinion.