If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Discussion in 'Steam Traction' started by leander, Sep 13, 2012.

1. Ruston906

Ruston906 Member

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    I am assuming other must be able to make it pay 35028 seems to do ok

2. xg125

xg125 New Member

Indeed. It's used for almost every VSOE steam special, plus extras, so it does pay off.

I think maybe the trust needs a donation account and a donation page on the website, so people like us can help them more directly, instead of sitting and waiting for the trust to break any news on the loco.

3. Spamcan81

Spamcan81 Nat Pres stalwart

Training moles
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    35028 does well but IIRC the last overhaul did involve appeals to the members and the sale of some spare components to supplement main line earnings.

4. Big Al

Big Al Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Moderator

On a slightly wider point but relevant I believe. The Clan Line model has a number of advantages: a (fairly) predictable number of trips each year, a very small number of routes, same starting point and base for the locomotive, known crews over known routes, the ability to carry out maintenance at home base between trips with only very occasional last minute rescue requests from other parties. It's no joke travelling the country with a support coach - I would guess. Barton Hill one week, Eastleigh the next etc etc. My guess is that 71000 folk and many others would love to have stability of base and a regular pattern of commitments.

5. ADB968008

ADB968008 Guest

Add to that the luncheon trips are short distance and low speed, albeit a heavy one.

6. class8mikado

class8mikado Part of the furniture

Print Estimator/ Repository of Useless Informatio.
    Its nice work if you can get it , but theres only one VSOE. Surprises/disappoints me that given how well Clan line does that the Northern Belle hasnt gone Steam hauled. the duke would be Ideal for that gig.

7. Neil_Scott

Neil_Scott Part of the furniture

Railway servant
    There seems plenty of work in the north of England if you're locomotive is operated by WCRC.

8. mike1522

mike1522 Long Time Member Friend

I seem to recall that 6201 was slated for a Father's day Jaunt with the Northern Bell train last year. I'm trying to remember what the reason was as to why she was pulled from powering that train.

THE NORTHERN BELLE FATHER'S DAY SPECIAL
    Crewe-Holyhead (VSON) [wcrc
    drs]

46201 Diesel:
    Crewe-Holyhead-Crewe

June 19, 2011

since the subject of the Northern Belle was brought up

9. mike1522

mike1522 Long Time Member Friend

I really hope that things get better for the Duke. She has been having a very rough and may I admit a sad 2012.

10. 45407&44871

45407&44871 Guest

Steam on the Northern belle hasn't happened since DRS took over operation of that train.

11. John Petley

John Petley Part of the furniture

Researcher/writer and composer of classical music
    I'm also surprised that VSOE hasn't made more use of steam. Who wants to pay £300+ for class 67 haulage? After all, if that's your thing, you can do it far more cheaply fi ve days a week between Cardiff and Holyhead. Seriously, I've taken my wife on the VSOE pullmans and it's a wonderful experience, but to me, the sound of 35028 on the front was the icing on the cake. The old argument for not using steam on the Folkestone runs was that the ferry from France might be delayeddue to rough weather. Now the transfer is done via le Shuttle, this objetion no longer applies. If VSOE were to use more steam, it would certinly offer some welcome extra work for larger class 8 engines, although sadly I believe that 71000 is out of gauge for Kent.

12. MuzTrem

MuzTrem Member

Many VSOE passengers are more interested in the food, the destinations and the ambience of the carriages than the sound coming from the front. Don't get me wrong, if I were paying £300+ I'd want steam haulage too, but then, I'm an enthusiast.

13. gwr4090

gwr4090 Part of the furniture

Scientist (Rtd)
    In fact the scope of VSOE steam haulage has reduced significantly in recent years, with just the Surrey Hills luncheon trains and the occasional Bristol and Oxford trips still steam hauled. Oxford appears to have been dropped from next years steam programme, leaving about 18 trips/year of which all but about 4 are around the Surrey Hills. No wonder the 35028 team are now looking at other options beyond the VSOE trains.

David

14. John Petley

John Petley Part of the furniture

Researcher/writer and composer of classical music
    It's my silver wedding in 11 years' time and I would love to take my wife to Venice as a celebration. I hope that by then VSOE will be more steam-friendly. I wonder if there is now a new man at the helm. I seem to remember it was a certain Bob Barnes a while ago. He seemed quite steam-friendly, and actually wanted 50 steam hauled trips, which the MNLPS felt was too much for them. Pity Jeremy Hosking can't buy up the VSOE operation
    By the way, my comment about paying £300+ for class 67 haulage was meant to be tongue in cheek!

15. ADB968008

ADB968008 Guest

VSOE has to be a very profitable operation, however I doubt if most passengers care if it's steam or not, however if the bottom line cost of the VSOE versus the extra revenue recieved doesn't add any more value if it's steam or not, then why do it ?

Rovos rail in Johannesburg is a good example of it.. The steam section of the trip is just token mileage at the start or end of the journey.. Most passengers are happy enough with that... Tell them it's a extra £200 for steam, then the less well heeled will walk away, in this economy its better to maintain the number of trips and lose the steam loco and keep the bottom line, than reduce the number of trips and have the business cost more to run.

I doubt this economy applies to any other steam operated train, however I have often thought a summer season daily steam operation to Oxford or Stratford would be successful in the "normals" market if advertised, incentivised and marketed the right way.

16. Christopher125

Christopher125 Part of the furniture

Given the price premium of steam hauled trips, the cost of running mainline steam and the effect of the recession it shouldnt really come as a surprise they've cut back - ultimately they are a business and act accordingly. A future economic recovery and perhaps competition from the Brighton Belle could make the USP of steam haulage more attractive, we'll just have to see - suggesting its dependent on how 'steam friendly' they are is perhaps a little unfair, it all comes down to market forces at the end of the day and at the moment times are tough.

Chris

17. dublo6231

dublo6231 Member

IT
    Evening all - I was browsing e-bay and came across this 35mm negative of 71000 (mods hope links to live e-bay auctions are ok?) as a reminder of just how far the Duke has come - the pic was according to the credit; taken at Barry scrapyard in November 1968 - who would ever have guessed at that point that she would ever turn a wheel in anger again? Where is a lottery win when you need one...

35MM NEGATIVE OF LOCO 71000 AT BARRY SCRAP YARD +FULL COPYRIGHT | eBay

Cheers all

18. buseng

buseng Part of the furniture

Retired
    Has 2 bids as well with 7 hours to go.

19. jtx

jtx Well-Known Member

Happily retired
    I was very sad to read the news about 71000. I got to drive it at a Severn Valley Gala a couple of years ago, (as per the avatar) and fell utterly in love with it. To go from , say, a Black Five to that, is akin to changing from an Austin Cambridge to a Bentley. I hope they find the money to sort it out. I'm sure we have yet to see the best of it on the main line.

20. 45407&44871

45407&44871 Guest

Taken from 71000 Facebook page
    'LOCOMOTIVE UPDATE: Currently The Duke is at Eastleigh LNWR depot. The loco will be moved uncover to allow the 71000 engineering team to carry out a full inspection to assess what work is required on the loco. More updates to follow.'

71000 Duke of Gloucester | Facebook

Matt