If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

71000 'Duke of Gloucester'

Discussion in 'Steam Traction' started by acorb, Feb 26, 2009.

1. southernman

southernman Well-Known Member

When 71000 departed from Country Park Halt, she picked up the greaser. Which can catch engines out if they don't have a decent run at getting up and around the reverse curves.

2. acorb

acorb Part of the furniture

Definitely a caged lion on any branch line but unlike the gala when she just seem to coast along, when I rode behind her on Saturday i did hear her work and the driver was willing to open the regulator a bit upgrade and away from speed restrictions. The standard SVR timetable is much tighter than the gala and even with 8 coaches she had a very impressive acceleration. She is quite quiet and doesn't have a bark as such, sounds very similar to a West Country to be honest. Prior to her visit to the SVR this was a loco I had only encountered briefly and had ridden behind only once on the east lancs when it was pulling only 5! Even less effort required.. This is no doubt an extemely powerful locomotive which belongs on the mainline but i for one was thankful to have the chance to encounter it up close and have a glimpse of it's capabilities.

3. Pete Thornhill

Pete Thornhill Resident of Nat Pres Staff Member Administrator Moderator Friend

Thanks for the explination! I forgot about the greaser there and did wonder why it was slipping so much!

4. David Ward

David Ward Well-Known Member

Driver- Northern Rail at Liverpool Lime St
    Ha the back of my head features in one of the shots at Kidder........

5. free2grice

free2grice Part of the furniture Friend

Retired Rolls-Royce engineer
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    The Duke was hauling 10 maroon coaches on Sunday. The final departure, the 16:50 from Kiddy, was hauled by 71000 and I managed to film the train at Eardington bank. What a glorious spectacle. Clear blue skies, plenty of clag, and a complete rake of maroon stock.
    <BJ>