If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

7027 Thornbury Castle

Discussion in 'Steam Traction' started by svrhunt, Jan 18, 2015.

1. Mr Valentine

Mr Valentine Member

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Probably the same source which for over a decade repeatedly stated that 6023 just needed another two years and £60k before it steamed. It has long been the case that figures are picked at random to assist whatever agenda is on the table.

Surveys have shown that DRC gets very few repeat visits. Unfortunately the same surveys have shown visitor satisfaction is quite high, which doesn't exactly help explain things. I do think that for the right people, DRC would provide a really interesting challenge of how to turn around the fortunes of a museum, without undermining its original ethos.

Hampshire Unit likes this.
  2. GWR4707

GWR4707 Nat Pres stalwart

No I do not currently volunteer
    In defence of Trackside Magazine I suspect a lot will depend on the sources for the piece, the GWS/4709 group stories have wandered all over the place since this all kicked off and obviously as with all their communication to date it tends to err on the negative side regarding 7027.

3. 35B

35B Nat Pres stalwart

That suggests that the satisfaction questions may not be focusing on all of the right aspects of peoples experience.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

4. Bikermike

Bikermike Well-Known Member

It is perfectly possible to be satisfied with one's visit and never feel the need to return ever again.

But that clearly isn't the point they are asking for.

It is also my suspicion that people are much less honest on surveys (the infamous "missing units" of alcohol between bought and admitted to in surveys).

I (entirely unsupportedly) put it down to 2 things
    1) lots of surveys are then seemingly used to justify banning/restricting/etc things, so why admit to doing anything in case it gets banned? Especially when tick-box surveys never quite have the answer you want to give. (See also "shy tory" syndrome in opinion polls, a separate but allied point)
    2) they are blooming well everywhere sometimes you just punch in the annodyne answer to make the thing go away.

This isn't intended to be "things were better in my day" post, but a genuine suspicion on surveys. They are without doubt the least-worst way of finding a bit about what a lot of people think, but over-use and reliance is an issue.

5. Mr Valentine

Mr Valentine Member

I can't remember how it was worded, but I'm inclined to agree. One of these surveys led to the purchase of the class 14 and introduction of diesel running days, after it had been concluded that people would be more likely to visit if something was running, regardless of whether it was steam or diesel. I've always been extremely sceptical of the wording of that questionnaire, particularly as one of the management team had already expressed a desire to buy a big diesel. You've only got to frame the questions in a certain way to show that 2 + 2 = 5.

6. 5944

5944 Resident of Nat Pres

Train Maintainer for GTR at Hornsey
    A lot of questionnaires are like that, framing questions to head you towards the answers they want you to give to back up their ideas, rather than actually asking for honest answers.

clinker and Hampshire Unit like this.
  7. Bikermike

Bikermike Well-Known Member

Indeed. Although at least you got a class 14 out of it...

There has to be some element of direction, if you just asked people what they want, it would boil down to."all of the things. For free. And the moon on a stick". But yes, any survey that doesn't have an express rejection question is open to "interpretation"

This can also work from external surveys. I noted on the Poole Park railway thread, the locals are all saying it's too expensive, bet they still go...

hyboy likes this.
  8. 35B

35B Nat Pres stalwart

It's not just about an explicit rejection question, but enough overlapping questions to allow some useful "what if" analysis. So asking me if I'm satisfied with my visit is great. But the question that probably matters more is whether I'm like to visit again - and for both of them to be scored in the same way.

9. ross

ross Well-Known Member

As a steam enthusiast- quite honestly I was heavily influenced by Rev. Awdry and "Enterprising Engines", -and being a child in the blue box era, the sight of 1st generation diesels on what I expected to be a steam site really disappoints me. So much so that I will likely leave and not come back.
    I know in my head that a gronk is useful because it'll just sit there and you can start it up rather than steam it up.
    I know in my head that diesels make good economic sense on the big railway.
    I just don't see them the same as steam locomotives, and I really don't understand why anyone wants to preserve them.
    When Didcot touts itself as a genuine GWR steam running shed, and the nearest diesel MPD was Reading, I cannot see any justification for having diesels clattering about just to have something moving- Surely people go for the sight, sound and smell of steam, not lorry exhaust

The Dainton Banker likes this.
  10. Matt37401

Matt37401 Nat Pres stalwart

Nosy aren’t you?
    You do know there were Warships sharing the shed with the GWS at Didcot right?

35B likes this.
  11. misspentyouth62

misspentyouth62 Well-Known Member

I got the impression the piece was written for Trackside Magazine by the 47xx group of the GWS. A less biased report would have mentioned more from the past three years at Loughborough and what parts for 7027 have been sourced and remade.

ross likes this.
  12. Steve B

Steve B Well-Known Member

That reminded me of a school Railways society visit to the GWS at Didcot sometime around 1970 - taken (if my memory is correct) from the coaling plant:

Scan0299.jpeg

Steve B

D1039, Hampshire Unit and Matt37401 like this.
  13. Matt37401

Nosy aren’t you?
    Baby Warship there too :)

14. MellishR

MellishR Resident of Nat Pres Friend

A genuine GWR steam running shed, but not just that. It aims to be a museum of the GWR and its successors. They have the carcass of the gas turbine loco there, (part of) the Swindon signalling panel, etc.

hyboy likes this.
  15. ross

ross Well-Known Member

No, I didn't. I first went to Didcot in '76- when I was 5

16. Matt37401

Nosy aren’t you?
    Fair enough, I appreciate that you might not have an interest in Modern Traction, but for some of us Railway History didn’t end on August 11th 1968.
    I’ve seen some really interesting photos of the early days of Didcot when the GWS shared the depot with BR like what @Steve B’s shared above.
    Would you say that something like W22W’s not a valuable part of the Great Western story just because you don’t have an interest in it?

17. Flying Phil

Flying Phil Part of the furniture

Well Thornbury arrived at the GCR in Feb 2020, purchased by "a wealthy supporter" of the GCR who was to provide the finance (est £1m) for a three year return to steam. Obviously Covid slowed progress but it did have the boiler lifted, the wheels removed and refurbished, the frames stripped and repainted. The tender frames were stripped and repaired. Lots of parts were refurbished and parts were going back onto the frames. Some missing items were found, others purchased and some manufactured. The boiler was said to be in very good condition having had relatively little use since a new inner firebox had been installed in the late 1950's. It would need retubing etc.
    So hardly slow progress with absent funding......

clinker, GWR4707, 26D_M and 4 others like this.
  18. 35B

35B Nat Pres stalwart

I’m slightly younger than you, but share many of the same early influences. However, where you see those diesels and recoil, I see them as being entirely part of the scene and what should be there.

I call myself a railway enthusiast, and actually came to steam via diesels (I went to primary school in the shadow of Wimbledon depot, and watched 33s and 50s on the Exeter line). Some things enthuse me more than others, as with everyone, but I regard the whole history as worth preserving*, not just parts.

* - with discrimination, not trying to keep everything regardless of significance or practicality.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

19. mdewell

mdewell Well-Known Member Friend

UK & Ireland Heritage Railways Webmaster
    Moderators, perhaps the Didcot/GWS history postings could be moved to the Didcot Railway Centre thread?
    (Although I notice the last posting on that was 2014! Numerous Didcot subtopic thread created since then though)

20. GWR4707

GWR4707 Nat Pres stalwart

I am not sure why the preservation media are allowing themselves to be used like this, rather than getting angles on stories from more than one source.

pmh_74, Bluenosejohn, Gareth and 4 others like this.