If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

7027 Thornbury Castle

Discussion in 'Steam Traction' started by svrhunt, Jan 18, 2015.

1. class8mikado

class8mikado Part of the furniture

Print Estimator/ Repository of Useless Informatio.
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Even as someone that has no interest in seeing another Castle and a fancy for the 47xx class, that seems an entirely laudable and dignified proposal

Tobbes likes this.
  2. GWR4707

GWR4707 Nat Pres stalwart

Slightly strange piece in SR, which suggests that the new boiler would cost £800k and thus this has saved the project £800k which would only really be correct if they had been given 7027 and someone is going to restore the boiler FOC.

More smoke and mirrors....

3. GWRman

GWRman New Member

Latest copy of Steam Railway has arrived. Plenty of news about 7027's sale and chequered history but next to no mention that it was being restored at the GCR. In the main article there was a brief comment about small parts being restored, but no mention that it was specifically being worked on at the GCR and intended to steam again. The editors opening words didn't mention it at all. Either ignorant or intentionally obtuse... Probably both.

I shouldn't be surprised that this comic would be so one-sided. I expect these vanity projects boost their sales.

4. Spamcan81

Spamcan81 Nat Pres stalwart

Training moles
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    They don’t call it the Steam Sun for nothing.

Gareth, Swan Age, clinker and 7 others like this.
  5. GWR4707

GWR4707 Nat Pres stalwart

In their defence its possible that the editorial was written before this all kicked off last Friday.

However on the wider matters I really don't know, the one interesting thing is that they are suggesting a big piece on her preservation history next month, now from experience such big pieces are not normally prepared on a month by month basis and are planned some while in advance so could it be that the 4709 group have offered them some good access for that piece and expect their tummy tickled in return?

I continue to have the monthly musing as to whether to cancel my subscription as they seem to perpetually struggle for decent content, but its been arriving monthly for years and its a hard habit to quit.

Swan Age and zigzag like this.
  6. Johann Marsbar

Johann Marsbar Well-Known Member

I think I've subscribed to the thing for getting on for 20 years now, but the one that arrived today should be the last one as I cancelled the Direct Debit back in April. The mag has improved a bit in the last couple of months from the low-point of earler this year/late last year, but can manage to live without it now!
    I thought it was interesting, given press timescales, that they had sufficient info to print something about 7027, given that it didn't seem to become "public knowledge" until last Friday....

Swan Age and green five like this.
  7. Flying Phil

Flying Phil Part of the furniture

True...but an open cheque could be very persuasive...so I believe.
    But we need to move on and see what happens next in the exciting saga of 7027.

8. std tank

std tank Part of the furniture

Retired
    I would not call it exciting.

green five and Richard Roper like this.
  9. MellishR

MellishR Resident of Nat Pres Friend

Who do you believe is doing that? No-one has proposed reducing a loco to scrap. At most the GWS may, at some future date, cut a bit off the frames at the back for the conversion to a Star.

Musket The Dog likes this.
  10. Matt37401

Matt37401 Nat Pres stalwart

Nosy aren’t you?
    Take a bloody big hacksaw to cut the back of those frames off.

Gareth and flying scotsman123 like this.
  11. Pete Thornhill

Pete Thornhill Resident of Nat Pres Staff Member Administrator Moderator Friend

Maybe on the basis that progress of the 47xx project hasn’t been particularly fast so far, along with an apparent fund raising issue. On the progress so far when are we talking about as a realistic completion date of a Star?

I can see the point being made, reality is the 47xx is years off, the Star many more years away, will the proposers even be alive to see it?

Gareth, Matt37401 and Richard Roper like this.
  12. Paul42

Paul42 Part of the furniture

Richard Croucher is in his late seventies according to companies house, while the lead engineer is mid to late sixities based on info obtained by web searches.

13. toplight

toplight Well-Known Member

Well what a sad end to the saga of Thornbury Castle. It was first preserved in 1972, a full 50 years ago. Owners coming and going, no doubt with dreams a plenty, but little actual work done in those 50 years.

There is a photo of it in the current issue of steam railway when first preserved and it looked relatively complete then. Finally with renewed optimism it looked like it may just get done at the GCR and we would see it puffing through Quorn in the years ahead, but no.

The boiler will get removed for a project which will still take years and years to get done and the rest quietly discarded as 'bits' for a star that we all know will realistically never happen.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2022
  14. Mr Valentine

Mr Valentine Member

This 'autonomy' only really extends to those 'groups' who are associated with a certain ex-chairman. For this person, Didcot Railway Centre was almost an irritation, that got in the way of the 'real' purpose of the GWS, which was to build new engines. One of his legacies has been to cause a real split between 'Railway Centre people' and 'Society people', even though they should be one and the same. This partly explains the bizarre attempt at distancing from the 47xx project. Yes, it really is a mess. But hey-ho, the HRA gave him a 'lifetime achievement' award, so he must be good, right?

The question of controls and procedures for major expenditure have long been a cause for concern among the longstanding workers at Didcot. In the last couple of years a volunteer tried to raise this at an online AGM, but needless to say his query went unanswered. As a contractor for the GWS, my own personal experience of the Society's financial procedures was, shall we say, 'interesting'.

Likewise, the dysfunctional nature of the Board has been a cause for concern for a long, long time, a situation which sadly wasn't resolved following the departure of the HRA's golden boy. This discontent was not just restricted to the dirty overall brigade, but included management, and Board members past and present. There have been numerous independent reviews of the Board, instigated by certain Directors who recognised the need for reform. The most recent was in February this year. But as always, the recommendations were never acted upon. According to those at the very top, everything is fine and dandy!

Other railways please take note: don't stick your head in the sand. A large part of why Didcot is where it is, was because too many people were either too scared to stand up, too apathetic, or too unwilling to rock the boat, in case it compromised their ability to play trains.

15. Matt37401

Nosy aren’t you?
    To be fair regarding the then editorial team didn’t do a bad job of getting the likes of raising funds for the likes of 63601, 3440 and 70013 in partnership with the NRM (we all own a little piece of those)

I’ve never seen any figures but the last appeal to readers regarding 4942/2999 didn’t seem to do so well…
    I haven’t seen any photos captioned with ‘Steam Railway GWS appeal loco 2999 etc’ since 2999 has been in action.
    Just sayin…

16. Dan Hill

Dan Hill Part of the furniture

Brick Machine Operator
    It's possible the Editorial was written before the weekend, but Trackside Magazine seemed to be in the loop, as the loco's sale and the subsequent Star project were revealed in their latest issue, which I received on Saturday, the day after the sale was announced.

17. Matt37401

Nosy aren’t you?
    Hand on heart, do you think these changes are going to be irreversible?

18. Simon Smith

Simon Smith New Member

I don't think i would use Steam Railway to wipe my backside with let alone read the trash they print!

19. Lord Belborough

Lord Belborough New Member

The Star project has never been sanctioned by the GWS Board. With active fundraising on 1466, water tower (it's just about complete), Didcot development (ramp), small loco (1363, 1466, 1340) along with County 1014, 4709 and the recently announced Dreadnought fundraiser there is zero appetite to spin another plate.

Gareth, Bluenosejohn, GWR4707 and 2 others like this.
  20. MellishR

MellishR Resident of Nat Pres Friend

There is clearly a big question mark (or several) about the plans. If the project to build a Star does go ahead and the Castle frames are cut down, that might be reversible in principle but I can't see anyone having both the will and the means to reverse the process, so it will be irreversible in practice.
    My personal view is that the Star project (insofar as it exists) makes more sense than using the No.8 boiler for 4709. The only real difference from the project that gave us Lady of Legend is that work had started on restoration of Thornbury Castle in its own right. We have conflicing claims as to how far that work had progressed and whether and when it could be completed, after the disappearance of the latest source of funding; but anyway very little if any of that work will have been wasted if the frames are eventually used for a Star and the boiler is used for something, preferably a spare for another Castle.