If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

7027 Thornbury Castle

Discussion in 'Steam Traction' started by svrhunt, Jan 18, 2015.

1. ross

ross Well-Known Member

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    There's more to this 'organising a group' malarkey than meets the eye. Thinking such thoughts myself, I enquired whether the domain ' thornbury castle dot co dot uk ' might be available, only to find that some blighter has appropriated the name for a hotel in Gloucestershire.
    EDIT> Clearly a :) is required to show this is tongue in cheek

Last edited: Sep 27, 2022
  2. Greenway

Greenway Part of the furniture

3. MellishR

MellishR Resident of Nat Pres Friend

If that is an accurate statement of GWS's intentions, it implies willingness to sell all of 7027 that currently exists, not just the bottom half that is no use for 4709. If they were only offering the bottom half and keeping the boiler, there would be no need for the 6-month moratorium.

If I were in their position I would be much inclined to look for at least a little profit on the deal, to help towards a new no. 7 boiler and whatever other bits are still needed for 4709. They do need to restore their good name, but offering to re-sell and allowing 6 months goes some way towards that. Going through all the hassle to end up exactly where they started but delayed by 7 months doesn't seem all that attractive.

Let's hope to see a definite plan before too long and an appeal for the required amount of cash. Then we'll see whether enough is contributed. I wouldn't want to bet either way.
    Personally I am more inclined to contribute to something else. There are more than enough other deserving causes, in railway preservation (including Defiant) and elsewhere.

4. MellishR

Both thornburycastle.org and thornburycastle.org.uk seem to be available.

5. Jimc

Jimc Part of the furniture

Once computers, now part time writer I suppose.
    I rather suspected that the potential purchaser immediately started negotiations with an agreement that there would be no further announcements until a deal was or wasn't concluded. It seems common, even standard practice for these sales to happen on the grapevine and behind closed doors. Consider 4920 for a very recent example.

6. martin1656

martin1656 Nat Pres stalwart Friend

I wonder, would GWS agree to another GW engine as a swop, Would the Bluebell be interested in swopping 9017 for the Castle My thinking is this, assuming a castle would fit, it would be safe, Didcot would get the duke dog, either do it as a permanent loan, between the two organisations, the Castle could then be restored to run on the Bluebell, where, with their need for something able to cope with the type of weight, and gradients, plus if being based on the bluebell, it becomes a home engine, it's a ready fit for any giants of steam gala, plus could be loaned out for gala's at other railways, It's Only a thought?

Last edited: Sep 28, 2022
  7. Jimc

Jimc Part of the furniture

Once computers, now part time writer I suppose.
    Full marks for blue sky, even outer space thinking! And I'm sure the Dukedog would be a very welcome addition to the Didcot collection. I'm rather less sure, however, that the Bluebell, with more than enough work on their hands for the foreseeable future with the locomotives they have, would welcome another box of bits, let alone an out of area one.

green five, Spitfire, clinker and 2 others like this.
  8. Jamessquared

Jamessquared Nat Pres stalwart

Yes I am an active volunteer
    Yeah, and then once restored we'll arrange a loan agreement with Swanage so they can run a regular shuttle service to Salisbury ...

As has been explained on numerous occasions, the Dukedog isn't going anywhere - it was an explicit condition of its donation to the Bluebell that it remained based there. More generally, the Bluebell - in common I suspect with most preserved railways around the country - doesn't need any more unrestored locos, it needs the capacity to (time, money, space, skills) to restore the ones it already has, which includes one remaining Barry-condition loco of much greater use and historical relevance. It has also disposed of two locos in the last twelve months that would likely never have been restored in a reasonable timeframe otherwise, which rather illustrates the point about future acquisitions.. So - thanks, but no thanks.

I think the 4709 Group plan to use parts of the loco was severely misguided and has probably done them considerable harm in PR terms - but that doesn't mean I have a good alternative plan. Resources are stretched thin across the industry and my feeling is that for most of the well-established lines that could actually realistically use a loco of that size, priorities will be focused on restoring existing locos, not taking on a new project of the size of Thornbury Castle.

Tom

9. 1472

1472 Well-Known Member

Just a very big NO! - for several reasons.

Mike S likes this.
  10. goldfish

goldfish Nat Pres stalwart

You’ve not come up with any useful suggestions for what Didcot would turn the Dukedog into… I’m struggling to see them getting a Saint out of it…

Simon

Matt37401 likes this.
  11. Jamessquared

Back-convert to a Duke and a Bulldog …

Tom

12. goldfish

Would they be able to scavenge some parts from City of Truro to complete that?

clinker and Mrcow like this.
  13. Big Al

Big Al Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Moderator

Given the expertise that exists within Nat Pres, specifically, I would have thought we all know that sensible thinking, planning and organisation of anything of note usually takes place behind the scenes.

It's quite bizarre to believe that any social media channel or post by individuals is anything more than froth and speculation. Doesn't this thread illustrate that rather well?

In defence of that can I observe that, for example, very little was said by way of a running commentary on the overhaul of 44932 until one day it appeared on a test run. Different I know but not much different with 45699.

14. MellishR

Which of yours is still in Barry condition? What are its prospects?

15. goldfish

80100 I think

Jamessquared likes this.
  16. Jamessquared

80100. Long-term prospect.

Tom

17. JohnElliott

JohnElliott New Member

Wide chufferitis?

Gareth likes this.
  18. weltrol

weltrol Part of the furniture Friend

Aberdare or Kruger?

Gareth, 5944 and goldfish like this.
  19. Gladiator 5076

Gladiator 5076 Resident of Nat Pres

It not that just called normal commercial confidentiality. I spent decades at work telling engineering and other client area that the commercial negotiations were nothing to do with them unless we need their input.
    No sensible organisation conducts any commercial negotiations in public.

green five, S.A.C. Martin and Mrcow like this.
  20. Pete Thornhill

Pete Thornhill Resident of Nat Pres Staff Member Administrator Moderator Friend

Out of interest Tom, as part of that agreement could the Bluebell loan the Dukedog out for say a 5 year period in exchange for an overhaul or is that a no go? Just curious as I get that it has to remain based there but is an extended loan period something that might be allowable?