If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

70013: The Jolly Fisherman 9th April.

Discussion in 'What's Going On' started by Groks212, Apr 6, 2011.

1. Western Venturer

Western Venturer Well-Known Member

Retired
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    My post Ralph, was trying to indicate WHY the diesel was there this time, and yes I know most of us on here know why but this time it was warranted,I just wanted to make the point about operational problems regarding this trip.I dont think my post was slagging anybody off whereas busengs continued dig at diesels on steam charters gets annoying. Even a died in the wool steam fan Spamcan 81 said they have a roll to play. I expect this post will be moved as well but I stated my position many times, I just hope 70013 is ok ,thats the important thing.

2. RalphW

RalphW Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Administrator Friend

Retired-ish, Part time rail tour steward.
    Nick, your post will not be moved or removed, also see a PM I have sent.

3. 45305

45305 New Member

The 37 was left on the rear due to the points at Skegness not being used regularly, therefore not allowing 70013 to run round. As oddsocks said 70013 did work in certain sections on the return which must mean the problem encountered cannot have been that serious. This does raise question as to why it couldn’t of worked the Skegness - Sleaford section at least, which alot of people came for behind steam. Overall what would have been a good day out turned very average.

4. al4466

al4466 New Member

i have heard reports of olly setting fire to the lineside at Abbots Ripton on the outward trip as to why the diesel was put up front any one else heard the same?

thanks al

5. Sidmouth

Sidmouth Resident of Nat Pres Staff Member Moderator

Yes I am an active volunteer
    Whilst it may be spring , there is a lot a dead material on the trackside and we have had an unusually dry spell

6. 6:05 special

6:05 special Well-Known Member Loco Owner

To clarify the situation there were two separate incidents that affected the operation of this train. There is still a loco release crossover in Skegness, platform 4 which it was proposed to use. This would have allowed 70013 to run round its train using platform 5. However it was alleged that Network Rail discovered only a day or so before the tour ran that having not been used for many years these points didn’t work properly and there was a fear of derailment if used. NR therefore stipulated, I believe as late as Friday evening, that the train would have to run in top and tail mode as there no other means of getting the train out of Skegness.

The second incident was when 70013 was declared a partial failure at Skegness with a non-specified firebox problem. It was said it could and would assist the train but was incapable of hauling it on its own. So the diesel ran round to the front the train in the carriage sidings. This begs the question as to why 70013 could not have done this but in the event it was fortunate the diesel happened to there. I have no idea as to the extent of 70013's problems but the word was it could be fixed locally once the firebox had gone cold.

7. Spamcan81

Spamcan81 Nat Pres stalwart

Training moles
    I am told it was leaking firebox stays but cannot confirm this as 100% accurate I'm afraid.

8. thegrimeater

thegrimeater Member

Admin
    I do not know this as fact but apparently a support crew member said that the patch in the firebox was coming away.

9. Martin Perry

Martin Perry Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Moderator Friend

Possibly done as a shunt release rather than a run round? (Pure speculation on my part)

10. Rich-D3167

Rich-D3167 Member

Signalman
    The train ran into the carriage sidings at Skegness, and then the Class 37 ran round in the sidings. By the looks of things, fresh ballast has recently been laid in the carriage sidings, so they have possibly been used for the recent engineer's trains as well as Saturday's railtour.

11. Oakfield

Oakfield Guest

I feel this is unlikely as if this were the case the fire would surely have been dropped straight away? I cannot help but feel that this is the sort of 'scare story' that should not be given a public airing, I am sure by now this rumor will be out there doing the rounds!

12. keith6233

keith6233 Member

Engineer
  13. DH34105

DH34105 Member

Just going to post that link as well Keith! From the news release does not sound to be a serious issue with Oliver Cromwell and should be fixed now DH

14. RalphW

RalphW Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Administrator Friend

Retired-ish, Part time rail tour steward.
    That may put and end to the doom mongers...

15. minty4371

minty4371 New Member

Unemployed
    Was informed today, and backed up with a check of my photos, that the 37 did not have a tail lamp fitted when it went through Spalding, and was stopped at Gosberton.