If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

70013 'Oliver Cromwell'. London to Bristol. 24th July, 2014

Discussion in 'What's Going On' started by free2grice, Jul 23, 2014.

1. RalphW

RalphW Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Administrator Friend

Retired-ish, Part time rail tour steward.
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    With my mods hat firmly hanging on the back of the door, I make no apologies for this as it my personal opinion,
    Buseng do we have to have this recycled and regurgitated moaning yet again. Makes you feel sick to the stomach, what a load of codswallop, and why were you glad you were nowhere near the diesel driver, what would you have done, thumped him or puked all over him, and of course as we all know the chances of you being on any rail tour are nil, zilch, zip, null and picayune.
    You are the mug who feels it his duty in life to continue this incessant and tiring tirade.

Standard Conditions of Booking and Travel
    All reasonable efforts, within the control of the organisers, will be made to ensure that on the day of the trip, the train runs as planned. However, we cannot accept any responsibility for delays, mishaps, alterations or curtailment of the tour from situations outside of our control.
    There may be occasional re-scheduling or re-routing of a train. In adverse conditions the train operating company, West Coast Railways, may feel the need to run with a diesel locomotive attached to the rear as a precaution.
    The nature of steam trains is that breakdowns, delays and substitutions have to be accepted. Every genuine effort will be made to ensure that the tour runs as planned and advertised, or as close to it as possible.

Uncoupled, maureen, OldGit and 9 others like this.
  2. banana patch

banana patch Member

The train was almost full in premier but not so in std so there are those who like a day out with breakfast and a n evening meal watching the world go by with the occasional whistle and chuff from a steam engine so us enthusiasts should be grateful as they are keeping our mainline steam alive

3. KentYeti

KentYeti Guest

No worries mate.

The diesel was nicely tucked there where, IMHO, it is needed as in the current weather and can do it's job inconspicuously with no fuss. Giving a nice railway scene to those choosing a wider angle for photography.

4. twr12

twr12 Well-Known Member

It's like the 1980s all over again; a class 47 behind the steam loco.
    Shame the coaches aren't blue and grey.....

5. buseng

buseng Part of the furniture

Retired
    Mods hat or not, that is an overreaction! Are you accusing me of violence or throwing up everywhere? If so that is slander/false accusations.
    You are right in one thing, I would never touch a mainline steam tour ever again with a bargepole for reasons well known.
    You are for too complacent over this like too many others on here.
    I've been ripped off too many times in life (in lots of circumstances other than steam tours) to be made a mug of again.
    As I said before people seem to have money to chuck away. If I want a modern train ride I could catch a service train far cheaper.

Drysdale likes this.
  6. hampstead

hampstead New Member

Now it's crawling along I see there is indeed a grubby diesel hiding in there .Nobody else bothered DSC_0978.JPG with this spot but there was some sun and a stong aroma.

7. Martin Perry

Martin Perry Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Moderator Friend

Yes I am an active volunteer
    A 50 year old Brush 4 is modern?? That makes me feel good!! :D

5944, 45669, 61994 and 1 other person like this.
  8. 45669

45669 Part of the furniture

Retired
    The light was failing by the time the train passed Fleet but I managed to get a couple of passable shots which are now on Flickr. Well, I think that they are passable! This is the first one and clicking on it will enlarge it and take you to the second one :

[​IMG]RD9800. 70013 and 47237 passing Southwood. by Ron Fisher, on Flickr

It was on the up slow line following a stopper so wasn't putting up much of a performance.

9. Big Al

Big Al Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Moderator

All fair comment from a personal perspective. Now it's been said, please assume that everyone now knows your view and why you have it. Or please read #40.

10. osprey

osprey Resident of Nat Pres

semi-retired, currently doing R&D for my patents
    He was not accusing you of anything....he was asking what you would do? That is not slander or any form of character assassination. If you don't like what you see why watch it?

11. sam w

sam w New Member

It makes you sick to the stomach?

Just for a bit of perspective, the Hamas and Israelis are continuing to relentlessly bomb eachother with little regard for civilian casualties. Meanwhile, Ukraine and pro Russian separatists continue to blame eachother for the shooting down of a commercial airliner resulting in the deaths of nearly 300 innocent people.

It's only a train. Chill out mate.

5098, alastair, 5944 and 5 others like this.
  12. Uncoupled

Uncoupled New Member

Indeed. If the only thing that bothers you in outrage in life is a 47 pushing a steamer then you do need some help.
    Pitiful people out there.

13. 45669

45669 Part of the furniture

Retired
    Perhaps we should bear in mind that the tour organizers don't put diesels on their 'steam' trains through choice; it is forced upon them through circumstances outside their control. I'm sure they would much prefer the quite life that comes with a steam only train.

Paul42 and RalphW like this.
  14. free2grice

free2grice Part of the furniture Friend

Retired Rolls-Royce engineer
    I know all about aroma when it comes to steam trains but I simply put it down to the excitement. :) <BJ>

15. mrKnowwun

mrKnowwun Part of the furniture

Retired
    I think its my age, but the smell of burned diesel oil from a old diesel loco is quite pleasant.

16. buseng

Retired
    Yet another one rarely craws out of the woodwork only to have a dig at someone. Never seen you post on here before despite being a member since 2008.
    Also has to try & throw the guilt complex in as well by mentioning world disasters. That is way below the belt & totally out of order.

17. Steamage

Steamage Part of the furniture

Can't agree with you there. I hate it when a diesel loco sits outside the signalbox for any length of time. The fumes seem to get everywhere and linger after the train has gone. I love the smell of coal smoke and hot lubricating oil, though - magic!

18. Steamage

Steamage Part of the furniture

Oh for heaven's sake - give it a rest! You do yourself no favours. Everyone now has a very clear impression of you and I'm sure it's not flattering.

Bean-counter likes this.
  19. buseng

Retired
    Surprise, surprise you again. I wondered how how long it would be before you popped up.
    What bothers me is my business & nobody else's, so keep your nose out of my affairs.

Again I presume the mods are allowing this one man hate campaign to continue yet again. I hope the two now mods have a better view on this when appointed.

20. buseng

Retired
    So I am expected to sit & take public insults am I?
    No way buster. Would you or anyone else?

Drysdale likes this.