If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

6984 "Owsden Hall" Restoration progress

Discussion in 'Steam Traction' started by Azrall, Oct 16, 2014.

1. pwsw5054

pwsw5054 Member

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    5637 is owned by an independent group of shareholders, some of them are involved at Swindon, some at ESR and some at neither! 5637 website is below:

https://5637.co.uk/

Martin Perry likes this.
  2. Jimc

Jimc Part of the furniture

Once computers, now part time writer I suppose.
    No I do not currently volunteer
    I have no idea what arrangements are in place, but if they've got the space, they are being paid rent, and they have nothing more lucrative to do with the space these locos are in, then why would it be an issue?

Last edited: Nov 25, 2019
    GWR4707, jnc and ross like this.
  3. pete2hogs

pete2hogs Member

Can I just say that when I visited the S&CR I thoroughly enjoyed my day despite the limited running line, these are truly dedicated people. they deserve support. Their carriage projects are especially interesting. Maybe they are too nice?

4. Chuffington

Chuffington New Member

The issue with S&CR is it was hoped that being in Swindon it would benefit from the works & the council, which was also the attraction for loco owners, it has never been supported by ethier, the works closed & the council are not really interested, they will do the PR bit but nothing beyond that
    Swindon council only see Swindon's history as an inconvenience & are only interested in concreting over everything.

jnc likes this.
  5. flying scotsman123

flying scotsman123 Resident of Nat Pres

And a source for road names! :)

lil Bear likes this.
  6. GWR4707

GWR4707 Nat Pres stalwart

No I do not currently volunteer
    Sadly, I think the main problem for the SCR is that it goes from nowhere to well nowhere, one end being next to a dual carriageway and modern estate on the very edge of Swindon, the other being in the middle of nowhere both in a fairly uninspiring part of the countryside and not a million miles from STEAM, GWS and the GWSR.

45076 likes this.
  7. Azrall

Azrall Member

Commercial Manager
    To clarify some certain things:

Facebook page - this was created by the team at the S&CR to show the progress of the restoration. It was managed by the team at the S&CR. Those who were deeply connected to the project are of course, disappointed and upset by the owner's decision to move the loco to Quainton Road, so they decided to close the page.

S&CR as a "base" - the owner and the S&CR had a contractual agreement in place. The owner has decided to terminate the contract with us and the railway has been compensated as per the clauses of said contract.

Loco's move - The S&CR had no visibility of this move until very recently. We were always under the impression that Steve Underhill wanted to work on the Boiler at the S&CR and we had planned on making space and preparations for the boiler in Blunsdon Car park along with 35011's boiler at the start of 2020. There was talk of lifting them both out at the same time to cut costs. I wasn't present at the time, but I have been told by several of the team that the owner wanted to move the loco as the Wightwick Hall group has visited the S&CR and had told him that they could do a "quicker job than the S&CR." (take that as you will - I didn't hear it, but it's what I've been told.) I've personally not seen the owner on site for months, which probably explains the downfall in communication of what we had planned.

There was a long term future in store for 6984 at the S&CR, one we'd wished to have seen. Alas, it's not to be. It seems that the team working on 6984 will now focus efforts on 35011 and other projects.

Matt78, paul richardson, jnc and 2 others like this.
  8. HowardGWR

HowardGWR New Member

Having followed the Facebook page, I am curious as to what was the recompense for the people who worked on 6984 at the S and C? I mean, some very intricate parts were made requiring great engineering skill and using expensive equipment, Is it so that these volunteers donated all their time, use of equipment (and materials?) only to see this engine - vanish, as it were?