If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

6880 Betton Grange

Discussion in 'Steam Traction' started by Thompson1706, Nov 4, 2011.

1. WesternRegionHampshireman

WesternRegionHampshireman Well-Known Member

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Beautiful, absolutely beautiful.

2. The Green Howards

The Green Howards Nat Pres stalwart

Layabout
    bobsungod and JBTEvans like this.
  3. acorb

acorb Part of the furniture

Having looked through a fine selection of videos from the GWSR gala this weekend, I must say that 6880 looks to have performed beautifully, straight out of the box. And I am more than happy that the guys at Toddington got to host it first - hope it has proven lucrative, wish I could have been there.
    A massive well done to all involved, it looks & sounds fantastic - I can't wait to see it in person!
    Given the involvement of the superb engineers at Tyseley and their expertise with GWR 4-6-0s that run like sewing machines - we shouldn't really be surprised should we.. !?!!

4. Kinghambranch

Kinghambranch Well-Known Member

Retired
    That was probably one of the best GWSR steam galas that I have attended. Like most people, I had not seen 6880 in working order other than the images and videos at Tyseley. It was amazing to see both 6880 and 2999 working the GWSR line. Both types were once fairly common on the Honeybourne Line. 2807 behaved itself and a small ceremony was held on the Saturday to commemorate Peter Nicholson, who died last year. Peter's widow and grandson, Josh, attended. Peter was instrumental in starting the project to save and restore 2807 and also many other ex-Barry Island scrapyard locos too. 2-8-0 No 3850 was on display in the loco shed and appeared almost complete after a very intensive overhaul. 20240525-3850 at Toddington.JPG 2024052-57-2807 & 6880.jpg 20240525-1-Josh Brinsford with 2807.jpg

5. JBTEvans

JBTEvans Part of the furniture

The GWSR Gala FB page has just advised 6880 will run every public running day until 19th June.

6. black5

black5 Well-Known Member

Theatre
    Yes I am an active volunteer
  7. Edington Burtle

Edington Burtle New Member

Great to see 6880 out and about.

Last edited by a moderator: May 31, 2024
    Paul Grant likes this.
  8. Paul Grant

Paul Grant Well-Known Member

Agreed. Sure, the last 6 months or so has been marred by a run of promises not kept and I'm still not sure what a Grange is in the grand oeuvre of GWR designs (low slung Hall? 4300 Estate version?) but its hard to deny it doesn't look handsome and from all the video I've seen, running well. I'm sure wherever it goes over the next few years, it'll be enjoyed and put in some good work.

9. MellishR

MellishR Resident of Nat Pres Friend

A Grange was Churchward's logical mixed-traffic loco to go with the express Saint and the freight 2800, all using the same No.1 boiler. It's just that none were built in his time, and when they were eventually built they had some detail improvements, notably larger steam chests.

10. CJS

CJS New Member

An impressive entry into service for 6880 at GlosWarks performing well on all days of the gala and following. It looks and sounds superb, and was well worth the wait - I can see it becoming a very popular loco if it isn't already!
    Two images below of 6880's very first revenue earning run on the Saturday morning of the Gala at Didbrook, and on the Photo charter on Tuesday.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. Robin

Robin Well-Known Member Friend

The thoughts of a couple of GWR writers. Harold Holcroft wrote that the Grange "...was virtually the "Hall" class with 5 ft. 8 in. wheels in place of 6 ft. It was, however, intended as an enlargement of the "4301" class 2-6-0, for there had for long been advocated in the Running Department the substitution of the No. 1 boiler for the No. 4, to give additional power and adhesion for some of the duties undertaken by these mixed-traffic engines, the last batch of which, the "9300" series, had been finished in 1932. The "Grange" class were particularly useful for working perishable and seasonal traffic, such as fruit, broccoli and for excursion trains. Usable parts taken from the older of the "4301" class engines withdrawn were absorbed in their construction." ("An Outline of Great Western Locomotive Practice 1837-1947")

Harold Gasson wrote that "It has been reported that when a Footplate Inspector was asked to name his favourite locomotive, he said that given a stud of Churchward 47XX and Collett 'Granges', he could cover all the requirements of the Traffic Department. This statement brought some dismay to the gathering, who expected him to enthuse on the merits of the 'Castles' and the 'Kings', but he was right. The big 47XX class and the 'Grange' could have dealt with almost all that came their way. But with respect, from a fireman's point of view, I would add just one more engine to his choice, the Collett 22XX class. These could cover the branch line workings that would have ruled out the 47XXs, and at the same time, were available to shunt out goods yards that would have caused the 'Grange' a little embarrassment, still being able to cope with light main line duties." ("Nostalgic Days, Further Reminiscences of a Great Western Fireman")

hyboy, ady, acorb and 2 others like this.
  12. acorb

Had a very enjoyable day with round trips behind both the Grange and Saint. 6880 ran like a sewing machine with very little effort needed to shift a full 8 coach load. This is clearly a very powerful loco which will be popular and useful across many heritage railways and boy...it looks stunning!!
    Credit where credit is due, it has entered a full stretch of running days without a glitch. It sounds even and is completely steam tight - well done everyone, looks like a top job completed by all involved. Very glad I made the effort to go and take a ride behind it.

hyboy, JBTEvans, Mick45305 and 4 others like this.
  13. Johnb

Johnb Nat Pres stalwart

Retired, best job I've ever had
    It’s not really a new build but there is a lot of new metal in it and only a small team raising the money and working on it. A really impressive illustration of delivering the impossible. A big contrast to the last time I saw a Grange in action, I can’t remember the number but it was struggling along the GW mainline at Iver in September 1965 leaking so much steam that only the smokebox door was visible as it approached ( numberplate missing)

ragl, 7P6F and acorb like this.
  14. bristolian

bristolian Member

As I understand it, isn't the loco new, apart from the boiler, bogie and chimney?.

15. Johnb

Johnb Nat Pres stalwart

Bogie is from Cogan Hall and driving wheels are from 5199. The current tender is borrowed

16. Ben Jenden

Ben Jenden Member

Pretty sure the wheels was from 7325 or at least the spare set for it?

17. Johnb

Johnb Nat Pres stalwart

You are right, the wheels from 5199 are now under 7325

18. Gav106

Gav106 Well-Known Member

So 6880 acquired the spare wheels from the SVR. These were then found to have defects in them, and back when 6880 were planning to go mainline they decided to swap them with 5199s set so it wouldn't restrict them.

hyboy likes this.
  19. brennan

brennan Member

6880 closely follows Swindon practice in being an amalgam of many different locos!

JBTEvans, misspentyouth62 and ragl like this.
  20. acorb

IMG_20240601_151146.jpg IMG_20240601_135719.jpg

Couple of shots from yesterday, stunning loco.
    Look forward to a ride on a line which tests her a bit more as only a brief bit of the Grange bark from her on what is an easily graded line.