If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

6233 duchess of sutherland

Discussion in 'Steam Traction' started by dmr, Sep 10, 2009.

1. Spamcan81

Spamcan81 Nat Pres stalwart

Training moles
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    It should be made law that Kings and Castles carry BR blue and the lesser GWR classes BR black. :smt077

2. tfftfftff86

tfftfftff86 Member

It's very irresponsible to cause the NHS unnecessary expense in these tough times!
    Now, what's the delivery address for 34067's base? I have twenty large cans of black gloss in the van.
    Or would you prefer the blue that's supposed to go to the NYMR?

3. Spamcan81

Training moles
    You can paint 34067 whatever colour you like old chap as she's not my loco. :)

4. 34014

34014 Member

Retired
    I would very much like to see one of the Spamcans in BR blue, as I remember the Merchant Navy's when I was a kid. The colour really suited them well but, in my opinion, it never matched any of the coach colours that were around or mooted at the time with the exception of 'The Night Ferry'. Incidentally; I remember that the SR painted two or three 4 wheel Utility vans in blue for use on the night ferry as well.

5. saltydog

saltydog Part of the furniture

Retired
    I think I've mentioned before somewhere on the forum that I have a print hanging on my wall of 6023 King Edward II in BR light blue and very handsome she looks too. I personally can't wait to see the real thing.
    And every time 4965's imminent repaint is brought up I say to Alistair Meanley that she would look nice in BR Lined black....I just get one of those strange looks!!!
    Anyway here's one GWR man who wont be having a heart attack when 6023 finally makes her debut in blue. And given the noise a King makes in full cry it would be a 'Rhapsody In Blue.' :)

6. acorb

acorb Part of the furniture

6233 boiler extension is fantastic, means I can get a farewell trip behind her which I couldn't this year. LMS Black? Never seen a loco in it it so even better! Will be more interesting. Seen lots of locos in BR green though.. So long as she's in LMS red when she returns after overhaul, duchesses look best in this (in my opinion!).

7. Spamcan81

Training moles
    Funny you should mention that but one of 34081's Trustees thinks along the same lines as you. It's just a question of him persuading the rest of us that it would be a good idea. Never say never as the saying goes.

8. Spamcan81

Training moles
    All joking aside I must say I'm looking forward to seeing 6023 make its return. Having never heard a single chimney King for real, I can only imagine it will be a bit loud.

9. Cambrian55

Cambrian55 Member Friend

Engineer.
    Getting back on topic, my information is that the first run for 6233 in the new livery is planned for early April, but at the moment I cannot see anything on the list that it could be, unless a leg of the Great Britain 3 :-k

10. Steamage

Steamage Part of the furniture

Congratulations to the PRCLT chaps on the boiler extention, and full marks for the choice of livery. I guess that a certain amount of repainting will be needed after the winter's work, regardless of the chosen colour. (4)6115 looked great in that livery in the 1970's, and the Duchess should do too. As for those who prefer BR green - you've got lots of other locos in that livery to choose from, so please shut up and give the rest of us, who like a little variety, a break. Merry Christmas!

11. mattspencer

mattspencer Well-Known Member

10th April 2010 Leicester to Scarborough according to uksteam.info.

12. Matt35027

Matt35027 Well-Known Member

Builder
    No I do not currently volunteer
    As for those who prefer BR green - you've got lots of other locos in that livery to choose from, so please shut up and give the rest of us, who like a little variety

I could not agree with you more

13. david1984

david1984 Resident of Nat Pres

Burn the Heretic! ;)

14. david1984

david1984 Resident of Nat Pres

That's an interesting one, the NRM don't like loco's running about with false indentities, Hamilton has the unusual situation of having worked as Coranation during her life so technically passes over from fake into authentic ?.

15. Spamcan81

Training moles
    Hasn't stopped them allowing 70013 to run as 70048. Wonder why they've made an exception for this particular loco.

16. saltydog

saltydog Part of the furniture

Retired
    Tut, tut David, and I considered you to to be a friend.:smt056

17. Fred Kerr

Fred Kerr Resident of Nat Pres Friend

Freelance photo - journalist
    Hasn't stopped them allowing 70013 to run as 70048. Wonder why they've made an exception for this particular loco

This was to commemorate the 100th Anniversary of the TA in 2008 - accompanied by a renaming to The Terretorial Army 1908-2008 - which had a great deal of publicity value and goodwill for both the NRM as owners and GCR as operators of the loco.

18. Crewe Hall

Crewe Hall New Member

Sorry Salty, but you are wrong on the 6229 count as it was very firmly red when it ran as 6220, so blue is not an accurate option.

Have to say that I am a little surprised that you got away with a strange look from young Meanley, that sort of suggestion should normally have got you a nice warm cell and a padded jacket. Having said that I'll bet that all the heretics are more likely to have been looked on with a great deal of pity at Tyseley as misguided delusionals, rather than raising blood pressure, after all none of the suggestions are going to change Tyseley's view or indeed any of the liveries. You know what they say, if you want a blue one, buy one and you can paint it any colour you like.