If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Discussion in 'Steam Traction' started by Stuart.b, Feb 20, 2014.

1. Stuart.b

Stuart.b New Member

She still looks amazing! Does anybody know if there are any plans to get her back on the mainline?

2. 46223

46223 Resident of Nat Pres Friend

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    I think there may be long term plans for her to go back mainline. Perhaps Mr. Coulls could answer that one?

3. david1984

david1984 Resident of Nat Pres

There's definetly the desire there for it, I think going's on with some obscure Doncaster loco is what's keeping the idea from getting any closer anytime soon.

4. martin butler

martin butler Part of the furniture

York does not have any money, so it would have to be done by someone like steam railway launching an appeal , then you have the problem, of who to do it, where to do it,and would York be able to release it because it would have to go elsewhere to be done, it is highly unlikily that it could be done in house, even if the funding was there to do it, most likily place would be Tysley. would Bob like to add a bath tub to his stable?

5. MarkinDurham

MarkinDurham Well-Known Member

IIRC there were enquiries made by, I think, VSOE about sponsoring a return to steam, & didn't they pay for a Class 50 to be painted into a matching red livery with the gold bands? There would also have been a set of coaches painted to match as well. Then the recession hit, & the plan went to the back of the queue.

I do think that we will see 6229 doing her thing on the main line again; not just yet.

6. Dan Hill

Dan Hill Part of the furniture

Brick Machine Operator
    I'd probably say Tyseley would be a good guess for a possible overhaul given they did the job of re-streamlining her, worked on te assessment of 4472's overhaul and how to deal with the problems encountered so far and have a good reputation for mainline overhauls.
    I think part of Steve Davies plan when it was mooted to return 6229 was to paint a set of Mk2 (I think) coaches to match her as but didn't here about the Class 50.

VSOE, I remember was in the 90's as an intial attempt to start the re-streamlining after she was taken of the mainline. Can't remember why it got cancelled though.

7. Tobbes

Tobbes Member

8. buseng

buseng Part of the furniture

Retired
  9. daveannjon

daveannjon Well-Known Member

It's a beautifully finished job but it is cosmetic, the smokebox doors don't operate properly for instance (from an NRM employee last Wednesday). If a boiler lift was necessary you would obviously have to take all the expensive streamlining off adding more to the cost. My favoured option would be to have it back on the mainline in "semi" condition in LMS post-war black, it looked fantastic when this was done temporarily before the full streamlining went on.

Dave

10. 46223

46223 Resident of Nat Pres Friend

By 'semi' condition I take it you mean with sloping smokebox top?

If that's the case then I would love to see it in BR blue with a rake of 'Blood & Custard' MK1s.... sheer magic.

Oh, and my 'Royal Scot' tartan headboard on the front, just to top it off!

11. daveannjon

daveannjon Well-Known Member

Yes, that's it.
    Dave

12. david1984

david1984 Resident of Nat Pres

I can't believe taking the streamlining off to do a boiler overhaul would be anymore problematic to doing likewise to an A4 or Spam Can, they would be designed to be removable in workshops to get at the the boiler, likewise if the "front doors" are currently for show only, that's not an insurmountable problem.

Having gone to the time and expense of fitting the streamlining, I can't see it being dispensed with now, a semi doesn't offer barely any variation from Sutherland and Birmingham.

And yes to a blue non streamliner, shames Sutherland's owners are going for LMS straight after the green.