If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

6229 streamlined or 6220?

Discussion in 'National Railway Museum' started by Mr Davo, Dec 16, 2008.

1. Dan Hamblin

Dan Hamblin Part of the furniture

Rolling Stock Engineer
    It was actually J52 1247 and Locomotion that went to Sacremento in 1991.

Regards,

Dan

2. Martin Perry

Martin Perry Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Moderator Friend

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Thanks for the correction! Didn't the replica Rocket go somewhere? Japan perhaps?

3. Anthony Coulls

Anthony Coulls Well-Known Member

Japan, Cannes, Holland, Germany, it's been a lot of places.

4. chilldude111

chilldude111 New Member

Does anyone else feel sad when they hear anything like this?

Is there any chance of Bringing them both home?

5. richard_3672

richard_3672 Member

student
    What's the update with 6229? Anyone have any recent pics?

6. Vulcan

Vulcan New Member

The Cow Catcher, Bell, and the Head Lamp were all at Carnforth for quite sometime after the place had closed to the public. Though the last time I was there I noticed the Cow Catcher had gone and on enquiry was given the impression it had been bought by a collector. Not sure what happened to the Bell and the Head Lamp.

7. athelney

athelney Member

Retired warranty administrator
    It visited this part of Canada for the EXPO 86 that was held in Vancouver -during the summer of that year .
    I rode it several times between Abbotsford & New Westminster on it's 3 times a day schedule & even rode up front with the engineer on it's last run from New Westminster before heading out of town -- It was also demonstrated on BC Rail from North Vancouver proir to it's running out in the valley .

8. Bean-counter

Bean-counter Part of the furniture

No I do not currently volunteer
    I seem to recall that one of 4472's first mainline tours after returning from the USA was called the Atlantic Venturers Express and ran down the Welsh Marches to Hereford where 6000 took over as a fellow visitor to America.

Potential for something similar with 4472 and 6100 in a couple of years time? (I don't really see 6229 being returned to working order in the near future).

There is a reasonable list of British locos that have gone all the way to America and back but how many have visited the Continent, which is, of course, much nearer? I think 3440 visited the Dutch 150th Anniversary, and the replica Rocket has been to Europe but are ther eany other?

Further back, i think 4472 may have been exhibited in Paris in the 1920s or was that a Castle?

9. Jamessquared

Jamessquared Nat Pres stalwart

Terrier number 40 "Brighton", now preserved on the IoWSR as W11 "Newport", went to the Paris Exhibition in 1878 and won a gold medal there, doing numerous runs around Paris at the time. See http://www.iwsteamrailway.co.uk/pages/locos/engines/newport.htm.

Probably not a candidate for main line running any time soon, but you never know - the Kiwi's have a mainline-certified 0-6-0 of similar vintage and even lighter weight that runs frequent excursions... =P~

Tom

10. stepney60

stepney60 Nat Pres stalwart

Not forgetting that in preservation, fellow terrier 672 Fenchurch has visited the Bluebell twin in Holland and also I believe did something in Belgium. P class 753 also visited France not many years ago.

11. Ben Fisher

Ben Fisher Member

For a start, there were all the locos that went to the Continent on war service, either because they were built for it or were requisitioned (e.g. Maude).

In preservation, quite a number of UK-built narrow gauge locos have been across the Channel - Alice, Chaloner and Palmerston all spring to mind as short-term visitors, and the KS Pixie did a number of seasons working on hire at Stoomcentrum Maldegem in Belgium.

12. stepney60

stepney60 Nat Pres stalwart

Perhaps the furthest a narrow gauge engine has gone was when RHDR no.11 Black Prince visited Japan, some time in the 1980s I think

13. Mr Davo

Mr Davo New Member

I got a railtour flyer this week advertising tours behind 6223 'The Royal Train Engine', which gave me a thought.

Perhaps if Prince Charles were to stump up a decent sum towards the restoration of 6229 into steam, it could be painted as 'Coronation', complete with headlight, and used as the full time royal train loco. He seems keen on steam, with his SVR visit, and rumours he 'had a go' on the footplate of Tornado. When / if he becomes King, how cool a symbol of national prestige would an immaculate Coronation, complete with crown on the side be, as it pulled him around his Kingdom?

I'm no Royalist, btw, but steam trumps politics anyday.