If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

6229 Overhaul Appeal?

Discussion in 'National Railway Museum' started by saltydog, Apr 26, 2010.

1. saltydog

saltydog Part of the furniture

Retired
    It's 12 months now since 6229 was unveiled in all her streamlined glory.
    Given how long it takes to get appeals up and running, is it now time to start an appeal to get her back into steam?
    I know money from the 'public purse' is tight but I'm sure that given the initial response from within the Heritage Railway Community when 6229 was unveiled, most of the money for such a project could be raised from a public appeal.
    Don't forget their is a significant time lapse between launching an appeal, the money coming in,the awarding of contracts and the finished article being delivered.

Finally as a GWR man, I say Let's Go For It!!!!

2. 60017

60017 Resident of Nat Pres Friend

Retired from corporate slavery :o)
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    The thought of seeing 6229 hammering over Shap in all her streamlined glory appeals to me for sure. BUT............................after the 'extra' appeals for 4472 how much more can the generous public take or, more to the point, give? Its also a sure bet that many would cite other locomotives as being more deserving of resuscitation. The V2 has a tremendous following and would be top of the list for many.

Good question Kevin but it'll cause a storm here! ;)

3. keith6233

keith6233 Member

Engineer
    I think if it is overhauled it would have to be totally independent from the NRM,There priority is Flying Scotsman which they are still appealing for money to complete. Also i think it would outshine FS which is there flagship engine.

4. richards

richards Part of the furniture

Was the streamlining designed and built just for museum/exhibition purposes, or would it be allowed to be used "properly" in steam on the main line?

Richard

5. ADB968008

ADB968008 Guest

For once the debate wouldnt be about the livery of the loco..

but that of the support coach instead.

6. saltydog

saltydog Part of the furniture

Retired
    Oh I don't know. I'm just going on the initial response on here and elsewhere to seeing 6229 in all her glory. And as I said in my original post the time between launching an appeal and seeing it come to fruition can take a few years. I'm not saying lets see her storming out of Euston next year, but now maybe the time to start thinking about it.
    I know that this maybe anathema to the NRM but why not put a 'Streamlined Duchess On The Mainline' appeal box by the engine while she is on display?
    Judging by the amount of interest shown in her when I was last at the NRM I should think that donations would roll in from that source. And I'm not saying that the NRM should subsidise the ovehaul, just that they should capitalize on the wow faactor whilst it still exists.
    Any steam dedicated magazine willing to take up the challenge?

7. Alberta 45562

Alberta 45562 Part of the furniture

Train Simulator Developer
    Personally i think once 4472 comes back it will make a lot of people eat humble pie,i think it will almost be like a new engine,it should be with the amount of money its needing,however i would still rather see 4771 run again instead of FS.... 3rd on my list would certainly be 6229,it always was a fine engine,in some ways for me it is sad to see it "locked" in its casing,possibly not to run again,for a very long time but i just hope their is a change of plan and that it can be steamed as it is a fantastic loco.

8. williamfj2

williamfj2 Member

As an LNER man I should and indeed would support a return to steam for Green Arrow BUT Hamilton has a unique selling point which Green Arrow arguably doesn't have and it would make sense for '229 to be restored to running condition, possibly to replace Lord Nelson once she is withdrawn for overhaul. Besides the sight of a maroon bathtub charging along the mainline would be something special.

9. Christopher125

Christopher125 Part of the furniture

Of course it would be great to see her go mainline again, and i was very pleased to read that the casing has been redesigned to get her under the max height limit for mainline use... however an appeal would probably be just as succesful in 4 or 5+ years time. In the meantime there will presumably be an appeal for Sutherlands overhaul which could dilute support, plus there's the ongoing appeal for 4472 and numerous other NRM projects tieing up the museum's time.

Trying to think about it rationally, i think she would be a worthy loco to take over from Scotsman at the end of her ticket - after 7+ years of selling the most famous steam loco in the world, the museum will really need something that delivers the 'wow' factor to deputise and Hamilton, streamlined, has that. In the meantime, perhaps 1000 or the 3 cylinder Stanier tank should be considered - unique in a way best appreciated when they're in steam and pulling trains.

Chris

10. John Webb

John Webb Member

Retired
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    From articles in 'The Railway Magazine' and elsewhere I'm sure I read that the streamlining on 4229 would allow her to steam in it, subject to the other work needed. I'd love to see her on the move again over the S&C, for example.

Regards,
    John Webb

11. MarkinDurham

MarkinDurham Well-Known Member

It's suitable for main line operation, Richard. That's why she was able to be brought back to York by rail last year.

I agree that she'll look fantastic when eventually overhauled and allowed out onto the 'big railway' again.

12. Anthony Coulls

Anthony Coulls Well-Known Member

Everything in time folks... ;-)

13. RalphW

RalphW Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Administrator Friend

Retired-ish, Part time rail tour steward.
    That sounds like a positive response.

14. Autocar

Autocar New Member

Ooh, you are a tease....but I like you ;-)

15. david1984

david1984 Resident of Nat Pres

I think as soon as 4472 is out of ticket you'll find it straight back in the Workshops to run again, try as we might with the seeming exception of Tornado it's seemingly impossible to sell another loco to Joe Public to the extent of Scotsman so i feel Hamilton would be better treated as a seperate case.

60017 makes the point (and a good one at that) about current appeals and how much spare money (or lack of it) a lot of people currently have, you could argue that an appeal for Hamilton would win more favour among enthusiasts at least, a number of whom have tired of the 'Scotsman situation' shall we say...

Truro & the Beattie tank must be getting close to the end of their tickets soon so i'd be suprised if thoughts privately are not turning to 'what next ?'

16. Stewie Griffin

Stewie Griffin Member

Without wishing to second guess NRM policy, I suspect the only real means of seeing locos other than Scotsman you want to see in steam will be through appeals or sponsorship. Don't forget the primary reason Truro and the Beattie are currently in steam, and Green Arrow saw her last ticket, were through such generous actions.

17. ady

ady Well-Known Member

Post office
    They keep mentioning the 3-clyindered Stainer tank engine as a possible future running loco, I sure people would like to see that running again, and I theory wouldn't cost as much as 6229 (I say in theory!)