If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

6201 Princess Elizabeth

Discussion in 'Steam Traction' started by Linesider, Aug 29, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. std tank

std tank Part of the furniture

Retired
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    I agree. =D> =D> =D>

2. Pmorgan_cym

Pmorgan_cym Member

I do find the attitude of some in the armchair enthusiasts debate rather curious as to me it seems to strengthen my view that the preservation movement is a very "clique" laden elitist environment. Where "armchair enthusiasts" aren't so much seen as potiental recruits but as an enemy to be kept at arms length at all costs.

The charming society bumf, which reads "..join our firendly volunteers.." seems to me to be pure marketting words as the attitude from active persons round here more appears to be "you've done nothing if you weren't needle gunning frames from your pram then get lost...", and "getting involved" is expressed more as a threatening dare than an invitation.

It's not just this thread but any thread which starts to blow up to this level has this strange attitude, where on the one hand people bemoan the fact that people don;t get involved or help out, but actually seem to express it in such a way that it's no wonder that no ones does want to get involved or help out.

3. R Barnett

R Barnett Member

I got involved, I learnt and and got my hands dirty and still do, from sweeping the shed and moving though the various stages of involvement. But sometimes, you have to turn round and call time to a complete and utter farse. The crew work their backside off, like I did when I was involved but when stupid decisions were being made from god then... well, muppets always seem to win and common sense never prevails! Well it does in non-dinosour run preservation centres, railway, locos, etc! The 60's attitude gets people no where in life, but some seem to think it does. Well good luck to them!

Rich

4. Spamcan81

Spamcan81 Nat Pres stalwart

Training moles
    Of course "armchair enthusiasts" are a potential source of help but you must admit that this forum has its fair share of those who simply come on line to criticise the hard work of others. I'd wager they'd be more than welcome most places if they made the effort to sign up and get involved but by and large that type doesn't as they find it so much easier to sit in front of a computer and bemoan what others are striving to achieve.

5. ADB968008

ADB968008 Guest

I think this is worth a thread on it's own :smt021

please describe your seating arrangements, or if your a seat reservationist wanting to tell somewhere where to sit please go here...

viewtopic.php?f=106&t=20089&p=298959#p298959

6. RalphW

RalphW Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Administrator Friend

Retired-ish, Part time rail tour steward.
    No I do not currently volunteer
    I always thought that chairmen (Chairpersons) were elected to the post by a committee, and similarly can be deposed by a vote of no confidence. So if the chaiman in question is a muppet then why do the committee not get rid of him. :-k Or is this a too simplistic an approach.

7. keith6233

keith6233 Member

Engineer
    Correct.

8. R Barnett

R Barnett Member

Because he has to many cronies. Their was somebody who stood against him at the AGM...

Unfortunately most of the membership are people who do not directly see the goings on day in day out are none the wiser, they only know of what they read in the 6201 news!

Rich

9. Sidmouth

Sidmouth Resident of Nat Pres Staff Member Moderator

So after 45 pages it's an out the Chairman thread . What in all honesty have we come too

Disgusting , so much so that I am considering my lifetime membership of Foxfield

10. R Barnett

R Barnett Member

Sorry Martin, Have I hit a nerve! I have no respect for Clive what so ever!

Rich

11. Glenalmond

Glenalmond Member

The Foxfield Railway Society are not involved in this thread in anyway shape or form.

I appreciate that Rich has a history with 6201 but his views are his own, not those of Foxfield.

12. Sidmouth

There are those I have little respect for however I wouldn't air these on an internet forum for all to see and certainly not when my signature proclaims my position within a Railway. Personal disagreements have no place on a forum

I admire those willing to step up and be chairman of any society and whatever you may think he at least got Lizzie through the most extensive overhaul she has faced and back on the main line , subsequently dealing with Bridge strikes and cylinder damage and actually does deserve a little credit for that

13. std tank

std tank Part of the furniture

Retired
    I think that Roy Kerry deserves the credit for all that.

14. Derek3

Derek3 New Member Account Suspended

this gets my brown nose of the year award. are you paid to write stuff like this?
    i would argue that 6021 !s overhaul was achieved in spite of clive rather than because of him.

15. Victor

Victor Nat Pres stalwart Friend

Retired
    Did you see the post, on an open forum, at about 8:25 this morning from "stan"? Thankfully quickly deleted by I ass ume the moderators.Disgraceful. An open forum is NOT the place to conduct PRIVATE disagreements.

16. Sidmouth

Thanks for your vote of confidence and totally incorrect assumption. Perhaps for the benefit of others you would like to back up your allegation with some facts, or I await your apology

17. ADB968008

ADB968008 Guest

agreed there gone.

18. IKB

IKB Member

I have to say I am ashamed to be part of a forum where people behave in such a manner!

19. Derek3

Derek3 New Member Account Suspended

apologise for what?
    challenging your sycophantic support of the 6021 chaiman?there is no smoke without fire and all the controversey surrounding 6021 points to the fact than all is not well and questions need answering.

20. R Barnett

R Barnett Member

Well, unfortunately the engine will live on as a stuffed and mounted exhibit with current management in a few years time.

I hope they keep it nice and clean...

Rich a full time working volunteer.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.