If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

6201, her new lease of life.

Discussion in 'Steam Traction' started by Sidmouth, Feb 7, 2017.

1. Steve

Steve Resident of Nat Pres Friend

Gentleman of leisure, nowadays
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Tubes are having to be replaced so frequently because that is a requirement. It is not due to condition. They can be in perfect condition but they have to come out so that you can do a thorough INTERNAL examination, which requires people to actually get inside the barrel.
    Whether there is a need to remove tubes and conduct this examination is a different argument, as is whether you should open up boilers for examination at 28-30 day intervals. These are things that you seemingly don't do in Australia?

2. NSWGR 3827

NSWGR 3827 New Member

Fitter & Machineist
    No, no need to remove tubes if there is nothing wrong with them, and as said in the Video corrosion has been reduced to Zero. So provided the Feedwater is treated daily (Chemicals added direct to the Loco tanks) and samples analysed regularly to ensure correct dosing, removing tubes just to inspect the water space has become redundant.
    There may be a requirement to examine internally every 10 years in the UK, however I can't think of any specific cases off the top of my head, but my recollection is that there have been many Locomotives that have not made 10 years without needing tube replacements.

3. D6332found

D6332found Member

No I do not currently volunteer
    Oh well its not just me. Crowdfunders seem not to be the way to go for railways, £700 raised only.

4. david1984

david1984 Resident of Nat Pres

Perhaps the wall of silence about why this situation arose isn't helping in that respect ?, Perhaps people are mistrusting of similar not reoccuring if an explanation is not forthcoming ?.

lil Bear, MellishR, ghost and 5 others like this.
  5. TheLairdofNetherMoor

TheLairdofNetherMoor New Member

Laird
    From my limited experience of Crowdfunding, it seems to work well when something is offered in return, particularly if it is used to develop a product that people want and in return for their investment they get the product at a cost lower than what it will retail for (if it goes to retail at all). In this instance, offering incentives such as free or discounted tickets on the first run after overhaul, driver experience opportunities, or something similar for donations over a specified amount might encourage people to donate larger sums?

Is this one of those crowdfunding exercises where if the £40k target is not met, all monies are returned (or not taken) from those offering to contribute? If not, then I guess nothing is lost and it just provides a way to pick up some donations via the internet that might not be forthcoming otherwise.

6. Bulleid Pacific

Bulleid Pacific Part of the furniture

A Thingy...
    Crowdfunding is quite common in the music industry, as it helps to fund the production of a single, finite object- an album. However, a steam locomotive is not a finite object, as there's potentially no end to the funding needed to 'complete' it. Equally, there is little tangible for the funder to obtain other than the satisfaction of donating, and if they were inclined to do so, then they would probably have done it already.

26D_M likes this.
  7. dingding

dingding New Member

How about crowd funding a retube with a repaint into BR livery that might generate a bit more interest?

8. Matt37401

Matt37401 Nat Pres stalwart

Nosy aren’t you?
    It can't go into a BR livery until the owning group changes part of its constitution that says it will always wear LMS livery. I don't see that changing.

9. 26D_M

26D_M Part of the furniture

Very probably the same uncompromising principles that have led to the current malaise.
    I wonder what sort of legal case would arise if a majority of the membership agreed to allow non LMS livery to be applied in breach of the Society constitution but as the sweetner to secure funds?

10. 60017

60017 Resident of Nat Pres Friend

Retired from corporate slavery :o)
    You only need to look at the thread from 2008 (locked) when the loco stayed at Crewe, instead of returning to the ELR, to appreciate the passions 6201 generates. Don't think I ever saw so much froth in a single thread...and that's saying something for Nat Pres!

Last edited: Feb 17, 2017
    lil Bear likes this.
  11. GWR4707

GWR4707 Nat Pres stalwart

Ah that's the one I remembered, I knew there had been some discord on here before....

12. huochemi

huochemi Part of the furniture

Are you quoting from a document? The owning body is a company, albeit with "society" in its name, and the articles are online, albeit they may be out of date. From a quick read, this stipulation is not in there. The company can however make "Rules", which are not disclosed.

In many ways, the preservation movement was a pioneer of crowdfunding, but this particular initiative is one assumes just one of several ways of raising funds and is presumably more in hope than expectation, just a variation on clicking the donate button on their website. If you pay £20, you can become a member, so presumably the society feels there are people who would rather not be members and prefer to simply donate.

13. lil Bear

lil Bear Part of the furniture

Railway Technician
    Not hard though. Add the word "predominantly" in front of "Operate in LMS Crimson Lake"....

14. MAPLE CHRIS

MAPLE CHRIS Member

if only 700 has been raised then the colour is imaterial as the engine will not be running anytime soon

Gav106 likes this.
  15. mike1522

mike1522 Long Time Member Friend

If you have a Visa credit card you can setup an account in crowdfunding it is a straightforward process.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2017
  16. Matt37401

Nosy aren’t you?
    Not quoting a document, just going from what I've read in various posts on here from various people and from what I've read in the press.

17. dan.lank

dan.lank Member

I've had a bit of experience in crowdfunding for an album I recorded a couple of years ago. I'm pretty sure the key is having a product people want - rewards for different tiers of supporters is great, but ultimately it's down to what product you're offering most of all. Personally I'm not too fussed about the colour it's painted, although I'd not mind seeing it in green just for a change, but I can't help feeling the owning group are missing a huge trick by not trying green. If you're in a position of only being able to raise £700, having tapped out all your support to do the overhaul in the first place, I'd say anything is worth a try. It's only paint, it's not like it can never be painted back! Surely, in this case, the product many people want is a green princess...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Matt37401 likes this.
  18. Matt37401

Nosy aren’t you?
    Who says it has to go green? There are a few more colours it could wear.

26D_M likes this.
  19. TheLairdofNetherMoor

TheLairdofNetherMoor New Member

Laird
    But if you're trying to maximise crowdfunding revenue based on a promised repaint then you'd surely choose the most popular colour and among rail enthusiasts that'll be green. (It wouldn't be my choice.)

The other option is to run a competition like PRCLT did for (4)6233 where you pledge a donation against your preferred colour, but that also risks upsetting people who pledge large sums but don't get what they want, unless you agree to cycle through all the colours over a period of time, at least for those that get donations sufficient to make it worthwhile.

20. 26D_M

26D_M Part of the furniture

Another point to bear in mind with 6233 due to return to LMS livery very soon, 6201 will not be unique in this respect. A change of colour would add a USP. How commercially beneficial that would be is another question of course but if the lure of a new livery secured the funds to get it to the point of being able to earn revenue again it would surely be worthwhile?