If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

6201: 75th anniversary of speed record Special To Glasgow!!!

Discussion in 'What's Going On' started by mike1522, Oct 24, 2011.

1. mike1522

mike1522 Long Time Member Friend

The departure is only 19 days for this Very Special 75th Anniversary trip of 6201's speed record run back in November 1936. Sponsored by Vintage Trains out of Tyseley, The Coronation Scot is going to be a trip of a lifetime for anyone in who decides to ride and participate.

I understand there are numerous tickets in all sections of the train still on sale. Here is the link http://www.tyseleylocoworks.co.uk/tours/tr_2011_1112_13.htm .

Also with 6201's overhaul approaching early next year, This shall be her final trip over Beattock for awhile.

How many here are looking towards there travels on this train?

2. Guest

Guest Part of the furniture Account Suspended

Occasional
    Crewe to Crewe behind steam - at 150% of the prices charged on the Tornado run - and sort your own hotels!

I'm not surprised there are plenty of seats - Wow!

3. david1984

david1984 Resident of Nat Pres

Though i agree you have a point to an extent Frank, for a lot of people in the Midlands, it was a choice between this and Edgcumbes Scottish sortie in 2012 and the Castle being the rarer beast up north, in my case anyway, won the day.

4. 6:05 special

6:05 special Well-Known Member Loco Owner

a lot of regulars are holding back because of a threat of a diesel on the back which will totally ruin the event.

5. mike1522

mike1522 Long Time Member Friend

my thoughts

Vintage trains normally drop the diesel at Crewe. 6201 hasn't had a diesel behind her on any runs that I'm aware of lately.
    This includeds the Waverly trip early last year which traversed the same territory.

46115 needed a diesel on the Train of Hope because of prior mechanical issues, Carnforth did not want to take any chances.

Without going into I agree a bit on prices.

6. RalphW

RalphW Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Administrator Friend

Retired-ish, Part time rail tour steward.
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Perhaps someone from Vintage trains could confirm, but I would expect 6201 to come to Crewe the day before, so starting from there fresh. There certainly will be no requirement to have a diesel on the back for fire risk, it has been a bit damp up here recently and judging by the forecast today is going to remain so.

7. Guest

Occasional
    If the castle had been West Coast up, East Coast back that would have been a winner. I personally think that Tangmere over Druimachder and Slochd, and back over the bridges, is the best proposal so far in 2012.

8. Fred Kerr

Fred Kerr Resident of Nat Pres Friend

Freelance photo - journalist
    Yes but after DOR[East Coast Railways] response to the steam fiasco of 777 + 70013 [despite the fact that it was responsible for 20% of the final bill owed to NR] I would expect any proposed steam workings over the ECML to be contested. It appears that both WCML and ScotRail are more than willing to co-operate with tour operators and I think this is a case of being grateful for the privileges we enjoy rather than complain about those we can't / won't be granted.

9. Guest

Occasional
    Why should DOR be allowed to behave any differently than any other part of the Network Rail operation? Steam is not a privilege - it is an integral part of open access and provided vehicles meet group standards and pass their FTR operators they have the same rights to run.

No-one is yet privy to what happened with 777 - and they should be - as a repeat can only be avoided if we know exactly the facts of that day and how to avoid them in future. This "its confidential" approach is self serving nonsense!

10. 30910

30910 Member

Retired
    Well I would dearly love to be travelling with Lizzie to Glasgow but unfortunately my pension won't run to that sort of expenditure. Hope she has a great trip none-the-less.

As a member of both the Lizzie and Lamiel operating groups I would always welcome more info but will wait to see what comes out in the fullness of time. One would suspect if there was a serious lesson to be learnt from Sir Lamiel then it would have been passed on to those it may affect (which wouldn't include me). It may of course be noted that Sir Lamiel is operating on the GCR without setting the world alight so it's either been sorted or something else.

"Tangmere over Druimachder and Slochd, and back over the bridges" - I can but dream!

Chris

11. Ben Vintage-Trains

Ben Vintage-Trains Member

We will need the 47 for ECS and turning in Glasgow.

12. Guest

Occasional
    Ben - how much does it cost to send the 47 to Glagow light engine as WCRC so often do with other multi day charters?

As I have to say so often - if you don't understand why a diesel on the back is anathema to some of your customers then why are you on a board called .............. preservation rather than ................. operating convenience?

Just a thought!

13. Ben Vintage-Trains

Ben Vintage-Trains Member

It costs enough that we would have to increase the ticket price.

And it's operational Reality and Practicality, not convenience.

NOT just a thought!

14. Guest

Occasional
    And that, Ben, is why some people, despite what you see as a reality, will vote with their wallets.

We all have a choice, and with some people it really is as simple as a diesel on the back.

I presume that propelling out and running round is now verboten due to signal sighting, lack of loops, or some such.

15. david1984

david1984 Resident of Nat Pres

Afraid so, propelling anywhere is a no no except in a few specific instances.

Considering the loadings that Vintage usually run to, (ie 10 seems to be about the usual max) isn't Lizzie powerfull enough to take the load and an idling 47 over the banks ?.

16. Neil_Scott

Neil_Scott Part of the furniture

Railway servant
    Yes I am an active volunteer

17. RalphW

RalphW Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Administrator Friend

Retired-ish, Part time rail tour steward.
    Trains are often propelled out of Carlisle with the guard at the end on his radio to the driver, as they are at Scarborough.

18. 6:05 special

6:05 special Well-Known Member Loco Owner

RTC (with the same train operating company as Vintage Trains) manage to run steam from the North West into Glasgow Central with both their Great Britain and West Highlander trains without the need for a diesel on the back. The diesel passes the train light engine on route and is waiting just outside Glasgow Central to back onto the train after arrival. So why are operating practices so different for Vintage Trains? It is of course Vintage Trains perogative to operate their trains how they wish but as Frank intimates, diesels on the back are not everyone's cup of tea so the wallets of several people I know who would otherwise have travelled will continue to gather dust.

19. Groks212

Groks212 Well-Known Member

Possibly the cost of the light engine (diesel) path is already included in the cost of those multi day trips, after all they are 4 and 3 figure prices respectively which are not broken down in anyway so extra costs like that can be more easily hidden. However adding it to a one or two day only trip would no doubt have the effect of making it more noticeable and the cost would then put off a lot of people.

Dave B

20. leander

leander Member

Yes I am an active volunteer
    Ben is there any outline times for saturday as i would like to go on the Tornado trip from Northampton on the Friday as well as lizzie trip on the saturday / sunday