If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

61994 Great Marquess

Discussion in 'Steam Traction' started by BladeFisher, May 3, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. S.A.C. Martin

S.A.C. Martin Part of the furniture

Asset Engineer (Signalling), MNLPS Treasurer
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    I sincerely think that this a loco which deserves to continue as infinitum - one of gresleys best looking designs - and I wonder if the A1 Trust - who originally wanted a B1 to add to their stable last year - would look at the K4 as a potential smaller shed mate for 60163 and 2007.

But of course that's just floating an idea, has no basis in fact and just speculation on my party, I hasten to add.

See what Mr Cameron has planned and if there's a chance for someone else to take the K4 on.

2. Steamage

Steamage Part of the furniture

Remind me, please - when was 61994 last overhauled?

3. 26D_M

26D_M Part of the furniture

Came out of Crewe in March 2007 IIRC.

4. 61624

61624 Part of the furniture

I can understand the desire for a "Viking Funeral" end for 60009 - Mr Cameron has had it ever since it ended its BR career and there are two other examples likely to remain operable but 61994 hasn't been in his possession that long and when he bought it there were other parties interested in it who in the end didn't get the chance. My feeling is that the A1 Trust will have enough on their hands with the A1 and P2 to want to be involved with an engine of relatively limited main line potential as things go forward. It would be better to base it on a heritage railway from which it could make occasional forays onto the main line.

YorkyLad likes this.
  5. 99Z

99Z Guest

deleted

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 8, 2015
  6. 61624

61624 Part of the furniture

I'm going by a report in Steam Railway a couple of issues ago - obviously a lot depends on what credence one gives to that, but I have heard that Mr. Cameron was in two minds whether to overhaul No. 9 last time around, so it seems reasonable to assume there may be even more doubt about his appetite to overhaul either as time goes by.

7. Jimc

Jimc Part of the furniture

Once computers, now part time writer I suppose.
    No I do not currently volunteer
    What's best is a big question. If you keeping it means the loco is being properly stored and conserved under cover, and selling it means it ends up in pieces with lumps rotting in a headshunt because an ambitious project has run out of money or labour then what are the best interests? There is no shortage of steam locomotives in the latter situation.

8. 26D_M

26D_M Part of the furniture

The report in SR mentioned that Mr C is planning to have a place where the locos can go on display to the publuc once they're no longer operational.

9. mike1522

mike1522 Long Time Member Friend

Just me but since there is only one k4 and a few a4's that keeping the k4 going would be worth it.

10. jonathonag

jonathonag Well-Known Member

Railway Engineer
    Ideally, she'd remain North of the border to represent the important of the class in Scotland - it's where she was built for. Better yet, in an operational condition, she could see active service on either of the heritage lines in Scotland which have mainline connections, thus creating a situation where with the correct maintenance, the locomotive is available for occasional (or even semi regular) main line railtours. There is a Scottish presence within the Cameron support crew, and should they wish to continue their efforts, the engine being based locally to them would be ideal.

But that's all ideals. Would Mr Cameron be willing to gift the loco to a group in Scotland, or leave it as his legacy to his support crew etc...., who would then see the above situation as beneficial? Only time will tell. The K4 is a superb machine, ideal for many of the regular railtours and heritage railway operations up here....and with the steam picture slowly increasing in importance in Scotland, may it be the correct move to have it available in Alba?

S.A.C. Martin and 26D_M like this.
  11. david1984

david1984 Resident of Nat Pres

It's a shame the Scotrail tours seem to be use only DBS as 61994 could be quite useful for a number of them, other than them and the Jacobite (WCRC seem to have a favoured pool of 62005 and Riley's Fives for them), there's very little mainline steam north of the border to keep a loco in regular employment, prob why 60009 spends so much of it's time working further south.

12. acorb

acorb Part of the furniture

I believe the article said the loco's would be left in a Trust set up by Mr Cameron and that it would be up to the Trustees if the loco's were to be operational or not. This is of course after Mr Cameron has passed on, thankfully he is still very much with us so for now the decision is his. I suspect it will be influenced very much by what Abellio Scotrail decide to do next year..

S.A.C. Martin likes this.
  13. Steamage

Steamage Part of the furniture

If there was the promise of sufficient work to justify the cost and complication, I'm sure air brakes could be fitted to TGM as they have been to other locos.

After 8 years at work, if the firebox repairs required are substantial, it wouldn't be unreasonable to withdraw her pending an overhaul. Whether JC has the money and determination to do that straight away is a mood point. I'm sure no one would begrudge him if he laid her up for a few years while he concentrated on enjoying UoSA. If he does, then I hope she can be displayed somewhere with public access, such the Scottish Railway Museum at Bo'ness.

What happens further in the future will be up to the trustees Mr Cameron appoints. There are several options, including doing it themselves or working with a partner such as NELPG or SRPS. I'm sure we haven't seen the last of her. She's far too useful and significant a loco for that.

mike1522 likes this.
  14. MatthewCarty

MatthewCarty Guest

Has there been any more news on what is to become of 61994?

15. Steve

Steve Resident of Nat Pres Friend

Gentleman of leisure, nowadays
    Stuffed and mounted seems to be the most likely but, at the end of the day, the future is entirely down to the owner.

16. W.Williams

W.Williams Well-Known Member

Mechanical Engineer
    One of my favorite machines, sad to hear of a potential stint of retirement.

Not a lot of information out on the interweb about her, however I did find a photo from Grosmont July 2015, with the rods off.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 26, 2016
  17. Steve

Unfortunately, I think that, with the present thoughts of the owner, the stint of retirement will be permanent.

18. Spamcan81

Spamcan81 Nat Pres stalwart

Training moles
    Let's hope that there is a change of mind and even if the current owner is not minded to overhaul her again, a deal can be struck with someone who is.

19. W.Williams

W.Williams Well-Known Member

Mechanical Engineer
    Indeed. I would not enjoy seeing her idle.

20. Steve

My worry is that 61994 (and 60009) will end up in some sort of heritage centre and, if it does, can you ever imagine such a place letting go of its prime exhibits?

cjbarnes5294 and Chris86 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.