If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Discussion in 'Steam Traction' started by 61624, Jun 23, 2014.

1. Spamcan81

Spamcan81 Nat Pres stalwart

Training moles
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    I can assure you that those of us who have been involved with a loco project from day one, and have made and sadly lost very good friends over the years, have a huge amount of pride in and affection for our locos. When you've been together for forty years or more it's like family.

Drysdale likes this.
  2. ADB968008

ADB968008 Guest

Am not disputing that.

But I where I was brought up Family is Family, not like Family.
    There's a difference, regardless who owns what for how long.

I have respect for what my father gives me and think about how I would let others treat that object.
    Having respect for being a member of a group and how the group handles it's loco is completely different, sure they can feel like family and passions run high, but thats due to personality not family.

I'm some what astounded your defending the right not to have respect for someones family possession !, but everyones entitled to their own views.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 24, 2014
  3. 26D_M

26D_M Part of the furniture

No that is correct. Certainly had a least one previous owner since BR who also used to own 52322 I believe and sold the B1 to the late Mr Boden senior in mid 70s? Was that the point it moved to GCR?

4. Spamcan81

Training moles
    That's what I've been lead to believe.

5. ADB968008

ADB968008 Guest

Are we not missing the point here ?
    or just raising smoke.

I would be very surprised if 61306 came up on the market (sure it could happen, but i'd be very surprised if it did).
    For the reasons stated (i'll let the rivet counters count the number of days ownership in the family to the letter/ hour / minute if they want).. bottom line it's not something picked up yesterday, thrown around the garden and tossed out for a profit.

If we don't like that the owner wants to do as he wishes.. well it's.. tough really.

I for one respect him owning it. Theres not many people who grow up, live around, are circulated by, the families own (not shared/group etc) railway locomotive, especially one so well maintained. 60009, 92203, 5690, 46441, the fairburn tanks come to mind as having long term family ownership as well. That should be respected.

Considering the age demographic on here, and the fact that most of their offspring probably don't care for "granddad's hobby" I would have thought there would be considerable support for family who "wants in", not "cash out".

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 24, 2014
    Drysdale likes this.
  6. 26D_M

Tetchy!
    But it is immaterial how long it's been under present ownership and only the owners business to decide whether to sell. All will be revealed in the fullness of time.

7. Spamcan81

Training moles
    I could quote a few examples for whom their railway fraternity is family. Not everyone has brothers, sisters, kids or surviving parents.
    And where on earth did I say that nobody should respect someone's family possessions?

8. pmh_74

pmh_74 Well-Known Member

About 1978/79 I think. So 35 years in one family, and better cared for throughout that time than many locos owned by museums, societies or millionaires. I don't understand what the problem is, other than jealousy.

3855, al4466 and Drysdale like this.
  9. Desert Songster

Desert Songster New Member

No I do not currently volunteer

Last edited: Apr 5, 2015
    grastejoh and Spamcan81 like this.
  10. lil Bear

lil Bear Part of the furniture

Railway Technician
    You did, by trying to compare driving a car to driving a train. Different rules apply though, Route Knowledge being one.

11. Spamcan81

Training moles
    No names no pack drill but I could name at least one heritage line that won't hire 61306 owing to the owner's insistence on him being the only driver. (I was under the impression that other member's of the 61306 team could drive her but that's almost the same as owner only for the purpose of this discussion.) Their view is that it's unfair on their loyal volunteers not to get a turn on a visiting loco, especially when other owners do not have this stipulation. Not condoning, not criticising, just passing on info.

12. 26D_M

In a previous capacity I dealt with the late Mr Boden senior and those were the terms stipulated for a potential hire.

13. Spamcan81

Training moles
    Owners choice of course but that probably explains why it hasn't visited many railways and isn't exactly getting a lot of work.

14. 26D_M

It is tricky to balance the morale of the home crews against the understandably cautious owners requirements. The other aspect to be covered is assurance of competence and whether a railway or TOC SMS facilitates those owner requirements. It isn't just as simple as saying its our loco so we are driving it even though they may be thoroughly competent to do so. There has to be a process of assuring that competence by the operator.

15. andi

andi New Member

When it visited the Elr back in October 2012 it came with its own crew but most of. If not all the conducting crews got a go on her.
    However this is deviating from the thread of wether it's up for sale.

16. 26D_M

As you well know Andi it required a considerable change of attitude on the part of prominent crew to facilitate the conductor driver scheme though. Happily the enlightened approach led to a successful hire. It sounds like if 61306 returns to Bury it will be under new ownership.

17. Jimc

Jimc Part of the furniture

Once computers, now part time writer I suppose.
    and I bet the owner doesn't mind. Silly to have an expensive toy and let other people have all the fun whilst you sit back and just pay all the bills. As has been said before on this thread if the loco is lightly used then repair bills will be much smaller.

Drysdale likes this.
  18. Spamcan81

Training moles
    They would need to be as it won't have earned much. All I can say that whilst I respect the owner's choice, if all loco owners took the same view, heritage railways would be in a bit of a fix for regular motive power. I can name one loco owner at least that rarely/never gets to drive his "expensive toys" but gains his pleasure from the pleasure others gain from his endeavours. Takes all sorts.

19. Matt37401

Matt37401 Nat Pres stalwart

Nosy aren’t you?
    Mr Hosking Perchance? I totally agree that its owners priogative to do what suits them but going back to my previous point we do miss out if these lovely machines are locked away out of sight.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2014
  20. andi

andi New Member

That's not how I remember it Mr Maxim. The crews that were rostered on the engine were very happy to be just conductors. And I think most of our crews would have been the same.