If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

61306 The Cathedrals Express to Kingswear - 1st April 2015

Discussion in 'What's Going On' started by AlexGWR1994, Mar 22, 2015.

1. ROGace

ROGace Member

'should have been load 9' then? 1020shireman, thanks for the report.

why are locos and railtours being subjected to being pushed to the limits by additional coaches/weight - who makes and approves these decisions?
    i've seen the videos of the loco that day - there wasn't much puff left in her on those climbs but thankfully she made it - sorry but operations on the mainline should not be operated on 'well she should be able to do it'.....

when i was an operations controller for Boeing 747 jets i simply could not put on an extra 20 tonnes of fuel or overload the aircraft in any way - it was illegal - we had SOP's to use, runway lengths, temperatures, and aircraft weights to calculate for allowable/permissible performances - surely the railways are not so different?

2. free2grice

free2grice Part of the furniture Friend

Retired Rolls-Royce engineer
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    If you had read the report throughout you would have realised that the loco had suffered a problem en route.
    Quote ''.....the lever on the rocking grate had come adrift and fallen into the fire.''
    These things happen. We are dealing with old steam engines. Give the guys a break. <BJ>