If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

61306 Easterling 8/3/15

Discussion in 'What's Going On' started by Spotter, Jan 25, 2015.

1. Spotter

Spotter New Member

Now that RTC have confirmed on their website that this tour will now run with Mayflower on the new date, does anybody have the mileages for the new triangle at Ipswich?

2. Bulleid Pacific

Bulleid Pacific Part of the furniture

A Thingy...
  3. Where's Mazeppa?

Where's Mazeppa? Member

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    You don't say how much detail you need or for what purpose you would be planning to use this information, but I think that the following should be sufficiently "belts and braces" to cover most circumstances or at least provide you with enough to create your own mileage tables.
    There has been a distinct lack of precision about the length of the Ipswich Chord (or is that "Bacon Factory Curve or any one of a number of variations of these titles?) The East Suffolk Line Group website, and Wikipedia, for example, both quote a figure of 1415 metres for its length. On the other hand, Network Rail, in its various press releases and in those of its contractors, and Railway Magazine both quote 1.2 kilometres as the overall length.
    If you are compiling mileage charts that are specific to the itinerary of the Easterling, then you need to know that Boss Hall Junction, that accesses the Chord on its north-eastern corner, is situated at 70m 04c (from Liverpool Street). The Chord itself is 0m 63c in length (0.79 miles). Its north-western exit point at Europa Junction, on the main line to Stowmarket and Norwich, is situated at 70m 37c.
    As far as the itinerary of the Easterling is concerned, your mileages can be calculated by, for example, reference to the station prior to Boss Hall Junction, which is Westerfield, situated at 72m 20c, or exactly 2.20 miles prior to the junction. At the other end of the Chord, the station following Europa Junction is Needham, at 77m 14c, or 6.71 miles beyond Europa Junction.
    The data about the Chord itself was contained in the "Trackwatch" section of the Modern Railways issue dated September 2013, so its very much in the public domain. But a big plug also for the Signalling Record Society and its excellent website, which helped me to navigate through to the discovery of this source of information. Well worth a good look, and vast amounts of mileage data here too, that doesn't seem to be protected as part of a "Members Only" database.
    Hope this helps. Enjoy the trip!!

Panniertank likes this.
  4. Spotter

Spotter New Member

I think that is all the information I shall need, I thank you for taking the time and trouble to pass it on. All we need now is for the trip to go ahead and the route to be as advertised, cheers.

5. 7P6F

7P6F Part of the furniture

Times and tickets arrived. 9.18 off Kings Cross. And just over an hour in Norwich, which will please the wife. Looking forward to travelling behind the B1 with its growing reputation for performance.

6. James111983

James111983 New Member

BBRail Project Engineer
    That should mean my tickets are in my inbox, good stuff. I had been a bit worried as there is a block on Sunday morning at Kings cross with buses replacing trains to Finsbury Park.

Anyway, group of us from work heading on his so looking forward to it

I'm not 100% user friendly with realtime but I've just had a good search through, nothing there, harringay up sidings, park junction, Southall depot or East junction. I assume they are just waiting to be uploaded if the tickets have been dispatched.

Spent this afternoon watching the videos of mayflower from its trip to Cardiff, looking forward to this trip, she is a real pocket rocket!

Hope we don't have a diesel at the back, is there still a run round round loop at Norwich? Or will we use the local thunderbird for the shunt release?

7. Bulleid Pacific

A Thingy...
    I wouldn't be surprised if there is a diesel dragging us to Lowestoft. However, the ticket suggests it will be steam throughout, so we'll find out on the day.

8. JDTTRAINS

JDTTRAINS Member

Station Team Leader, Thameslink
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Could you possibly share what time it gets into Stevenage both morning and evening please? Planning to go Hitchin both Down and up runs, but with no RTT paths yet it's not a lot of help... Cheers.

9. 7P6F

Ticket letter has Stevenage dep. 10.10 and arr. 21.01 Doesn't seem to be on Realtime as yet.

JDTTRAINS likes this.
  10. RayMason

RayMason Member

Company secretary. Finance director
    Cambridge. 10.55/19.53
    Norwich. 12.44/13.49
    Lowestoft. 14.36/16.16

nanstallon likes this.
  11. Spamcan81

Spamcan81 Nat Pres stalwart

Training moles
    Is the B1 running tender first Norwich - Lowestoft or will she be on the rear of a diesel drag between those two points?

12. 7P6F

Haven't got the letter with me but I think it said steam hauled throughout. Is there a run round capability at Norwich and Lowestoft?

13. James111983

James111983 New Member

BBRail Project Engineer
    @7P6F - Letter states like you say, steam hauled throughout, however we do have the caveat on the tickets, reserve right, subject to change etc...etc.

I looked again at realtime this morning and there was no times up yet. I believe there is a run round at Norwich from memory when I was there last year for the Mid Norfolk's Gala, and Lowestoft might have a run round. If I'm able to get some information I'll pass it on.

14. James111983

James111983 New Member

BBRail Project Engineer
    Sectional Appendix extract attached. Lowestoft will be interesting!

Attached Files:

7P6F likes this.
  15. Big Al

Big Al Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Moderator

Was on 70013 when it ran t/f to Lowestoft and shunted the train. So unless the track layout has changed, it is possible.

16. Bulleid Pacific

A Thingy...
    Yes, its nothing that hasn't been done before in such situations. Suspect it will be some variation of the following: arrive Platform 2, engine propels stock forward to crossover onto up line, then reverse into siding complex for servicing and running-round.

17. damianrhysmoore

damianrhysmoore Well-Known Member

Osteopath
    Hadn't thought of the lack of loco turning facility at Lowestoft, so it'll be tender first down the Wherry Line. I may have to go and watch it come through Wymondham, or nearby, rather than Postwick or Brundall Gardens, as planned...or both

18. mike1522

mike1522 Long Time Member Friend

How big is the consist

19. nanstallon

nanstallon Part of the furniture

Retired
    Hopefully not off topic - is the signalbox at Wymondham still there? I know it's all been resignalled there, and the box closed, but it may still be standing and is quite a nice backdrop for a photo.

John

20. James111983

James111983 New Member

BBRail Project Engineer
    going from the ticket letter, load 8 + POB.

mike1522 likes this.