If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Discussion in 'Steam Traction' started by Eightpot, Oct 4, 2011.

1. spicer21

spicer21 Guest

Interesting though will be how 4) compares with 3) Might have to wait a little while for that,

2. GWR4707

GWR4707 Nat Pres stalwart

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    New (and may I say incredibly glossy new format!) GW Echo popped through the letter box this AM, on initial scan regarding 6023, the OTMR TPWS and AWS has all been fitted as has the new design blastpipe. However testing of all is awaiting delivery and fitting of a new rear spring which has required the separation of tender and engine and until this is done and they are reunited nothing can be tested.

Work on gauging continues as does multiple other small jobs.

Now to read the new Echo format is very different and eye catching.

andalfi1 likes this.
  3. nick813

nick813 Well-Known Member Loco Owner

Yes I am an active volunteer

Hello,
    No one in a black bikini bra?
    On horse back chasing a USA 4-4-0?

Life won't be the same again!
    ;);):(

4. Penricecastle

Penricecastle Member

I don't think that Kings as built had an unsatisfactory performance. I think the sleeved chimney was added to improve the steaming with the deteriorating quality of coal available after the war.

I think Bob Meanley has said that double chimney Castles were louder than single chimney ones. Maybe the same applies to Kings, because double chimney 6024 KE1 can certainly make some noise? It will be fascinating to see how 6023 KE11 performs (and sounds) with its new design blastpipe, presumably the internal chimney diameter and height will remain unchanged. I believe the problem with the sleeved single chimney Kings was high back pressure in the cylinders at speed, this was resolved by the double chimney. I think Dr. Jos Koopmans, who I believe designed the new blastpipe for 6023 is a member of this group and has posted on this forum in the past. Maybe he could kindly contribute and let us know how he has modified the blastpipe? I think it's fantastic that further developments in loco draughting are still being made today.

class8mikado and andalfi1 like this.
  5. JJG Koopmans

JJG Koopmans Member

I can image you are curious. However, since I emailed the restoration crew member that asked me about the chimney shortening back in march 2008 that it was not going to work at all, I had to wait until april 2014 for confirmation. So right now all of us have to wait for the next test results when the locomotive is fired again, it is only a couple of weeks. After consulting the GWS people I intend to publish, however, it may be that they would like that in their Echo first.
    Kind regards
    Jos Koopmans

Penricecastle likes this.
  6. MellishR

MellishR Resident of Nat Pres Friend

I like the twin pictures of this loco in the same position in 1950 and 2011, but I do note one difference. The 1950 picture shows a bulge which I presume is over the end of the superheater header but that bulge is missing in the 2011 picture. How come?

7. JJG Koopmans

JJG Koopmans Member

If we are talking about the same picture, the 1950 version still shows the original boiler. At present 6023 has the 4-row sh boiler
    which was built in 1954.
    Kind regards
    Jos Koopmans

8. James111983

James111983 New Member

BBRail Project Engineer
    I took the below on Sunday during their gala. As you can see she's been separated from her tender and is on two jacks, rh rear driving wheel spring has been removed, no access to the lh side. Another thing I noticed is the society's support coach now in a new coat of chocolate and cream with a silver roof. Looked lovely in the sunshine, in between the showers!

James

Attached Files:

9. mike1522

mike1522 Long Time Member Friend

Hoping that the king shall be going on its tests soon.

10. Penricecastle

Penricecastle Member

I very much hope that 6023 remains in the superb BR blue livery for some time yet. All GWR express 4-6-0s in preservation have appeared in GWR or BR green. The blue 6023 is a breath of fresh air and authentic as well. It looks absolutely beautiful.

11. Fred Kerr

Fred Kerr Resident of Nat Pres Friend

Freelance photo - journalist
    Yes it does - doesn't it ?

6023-16.jpg

12. Nick Gough

Nick Gough Well-Known Member

Mind you. It must be at least 65 years since a single chimney King appeared in Great Western livery!

13. Robbo

Robbo Member

From the 6023 website (updated 05/06/2015) http://www.6023.co.uk/:
    "NEWS: King Edward II has completed major work on her rear driver springs and draughting arrangements, as her reduction in height in 2014 (for mainline use) from 13'5" to 13'1" has had a critical effect on the suction provided by her chimney and consequently the amount of air it draws through her fire. Engine and tender have been reunited following the completion of installation of new rear driving wheel springs. Much work is continuing on the required electronic monitoring and communication systems for main line use."

92143, andalfi1, Paul42 and 4 others like this.
  14. Robbo

Robbo Member

More positive news - 6023 has been moved to the front of the engine shed!

Edit: just to clarify it is still inside the shed but presumably this position change will enable access to the track outside when required..

Last edited: Jun 7, 2015
    mike1522 and Chris86 like this.
  15. Chris86

Chris86 Well-Known Member

Safety, technical and vehicle trainer
    Great news on 6023! Is there any news on 5322 at all as well?

Chris

16. MatthewCarty

MatthewCarty Guest

On the didcot railway centre website, 5322 is now listed as withdrawn and on static display. It is a shame if it is now going to be left, as it has only been in traffic for about 6 years, and the overhaul of 7325 doesn't appear to be in the near future.

17. green five

green five Resident of Nat Pres

It is sad about 5322. Cracking loco. There is a report in one of the magazines that says she has major boiler problems (cracks in the firebox somewhere IIRC but don't quote me on that) and she requires a boiler lift. A shame she didn't make ten years but I guess she has gone to the back of the overhaul queue due to the amount of other projects on going at Didcot.

18. Chris86

Chris86 Well-Known Member

Safety, technical and vehicle trainer
    Thanks Greenfive and Matthewcarty

5322 is a shame, its 'non appearance' at the NYMR gala it was due to appear at means I didn't get to see it! It holds a bit of a special place as I have a 'Mainline Railways' 00 gauge model of her that I was given when I was about 10!

Anyhow, is there any more news on 6023?

Chris

19. *8A*

*8A* New Member

Yes 5322 certainly looked and sounded good at the WSR Spring Gala last year, shown here leaving Dunster.
    5322.jpg

20. lil Bear

lil Bear Part of the furniture

Railway Technician
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    There was a report somewhere that once 4144 was finished they were going to look at repairing 5322 to get her ready for the end of WWI commemorations. Wonder if this is still the case, as certainly be an ideal loco for such an occasion.