If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Discussion in 'Steam Traction' started by Eightpot, Oct 4, 2011.

1. mike1522

mike1522 Long Time Member Friend

2014/ 2015 is going to be a big year for more than just a few;)

2. MuzTrem

MuzTrem Member

Plenty to keep them busy then!

3. mike1522

mike1522 Long Time Member Friend

As many people here now know is that the King has been proposed for a few Cotswold Explorers, Royal Duchy series and the Pembroke Coast express for next year. I hope 6023 makes it.

4. Pannier Man

Pannier Man Member

Network Rail - Retired
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    There's still a fair bit to be done yet and I would suggest watching the GWS website for conformation on what is currently tour operators wish lists.

mike1522 and lil Bear like this.
  5. Christopher125

Christopher125 Part of the furniture

Sadly the 6023 website was updated today with the suggestion that she may lose her rather extravagant bark:

"Drivers and firemen reported that there was very little suck from the chimney on the fire, and if anything, one would have thought the fire was burning in a stationary engine waiting for duty... Jos has designed us a new top to the blastpipe which we hope will return us to even greater draughting efficiency than when 6023 was 13'5" tall - however, we suspect at this stage that the enormous (and energy-wasting) bark of her exhaust may be lost - we will see."

Chris

6. Paul42

Paul42 Part of the furniture

7. andalfi1

andalfi1 Well-Known Member

Semi Retired.
    Of note in the update is 'The installation of a sprinkler system to damp the fire down' ! Would this be a mod. to the fusible plugs or is it in fact an ashpan sprinkler system ?

8. Big Al

Big Al Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Moderator

No I do not currently volunteer
    Without knowing and assuming this wasn't a touch of humour, then the latter is what is meant. Every loco should have one and definitely on the ML.

9. andalfi1

Semi Retired.
    Assumption incorrect ! well done Al.

Big Al likes this.
  10. Penricecastle

Penricecastle Member

This is fascinating.

The bark of 6023 with it's "improved draughting" sleeved single chimney is astonishing. My impression is that a problem with this arrangement is apparently, high back pressure. I believe the double chimney arrangement cured the back pressure problem and made the Kings freer running at high speed (although O.S.Nock timed the sleeved single chimney 6018 at 102.5 mph).

It's great to think that in 2015, it may be possible, with the assistance of Jos Koopmans, to make further improvements to the single chimney King. Possibly, the new blast pipe may enable 6023 to produce levels of performance even better than S.O.Ell's sleeved single chimney Kings did in the mid 1950's test runs. Also, the main line performance of 6023 will be compared to that of its double chimney sister 6024 with great interest.

During periods when 6023 is not running on the main line, hopefully it will revert to its original taller sleeved single chimney and taller safety valve cover. In this condition it looks beautiful. The "cut down" look is for a purpose, but it doesn't look as good as the taller mid-1950's appearance.

Height to the top of the chimney is clearly of great significance. Maybe this was the reason that the double chimney Counties had such a short chimney, perhaps a taller one would not have produced the improved steaming qualities of this class from the late 1950's on?

Last edited: Jan 23, 2015
  11. JMJR1000

JMJR1000 Member

Has there been any news on King Edward II's progress and when it could be running?

12. James111983

James111983 New Member

BBRail Project Engineer
    Looking at there website the front page was updated last night. http://www.6023.co.uk/index.html

Assume no news is good news, and that work is progressing as indicated on the update. I'm off to Didcot on Sunday hopefully, so I'll try and ask.

Bearing in mind the WCR issues, I wouldn't hold any faith on trial runs until after an announcement from ORR / NWR on there licence, as she is vacuum brake only, unlike her sister 6024.

13. Jimc

Jimc Part of the furniture

Once computers, now part time writer I suppose.
    However, to play Devil's advocate a bit (sure I posted this before but can't find it!), assuming the point of returning 6023 to single chimney was to gain the sound of a single chimney King again, if the modified draughting for reduced height means that she doesn't actually sound like a single chimney King used to anyway, wouldn't it be better to go back to the double chimney?

14. Penricecastle

Penricecastle Member

I don't think so. If she reverted to double-chimney condition, she'd be just like 6000 and 6024. Maybe the redesigned blast pipe will soften the bark a little, but I can't see how it would sound very different.

15. david1984

david1984 Resident of Nat Pres

Question for all - really it can't wear anything other than BR Green with a double chimney, would you prefer it to be a muffled single or double wearing an incorrect BR Blue/GWR look ?, 6024 ran in the latter guise in it's first ticket and prior to height reduction.

16. Jimc

Jimc Part of the furniture

Once computers, now part time writer I suppose.
    With a cut-down cab, safety valve and chimney she's so unauthentic anyway that livery nitpicking seems...

17. RalphW

RalphW Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Administrator Friend

Retired-ish, Part time rail tour steward.
    I would think that complaining about those mods to enable main line running is the real nit picking.

lil Bear and andrewshimmin like this.
  18. Penricecastle

Penricecastle Member

I don't think the point of the return of 6023 to single chimney form was for exhaust sound reasons. I think it was mainly done for appearance, to make it different to 6000 and 6024 and to restore a loco which could look more authentic running in GWR livery (and BR blue).

The bark of 6023 in it's sleeved single chimney form is astounding, I believe that the narrowing of the internal diameter of the chimney with the improved draughting made the Kings louder. The impression given is that the modification to the blastpipe might make the loco a bit quieter. However, I can't see that it can make a massive difference. After all, if the bark is very much quieter, there might be even less draw on the fire when working hard.

I guess we'll have to wait and see.

19. spicer21

spicer21 Guest

I agree with that, we really should put concerns like those aside for the bigger prize of seeing the loco on the main line. If you want the authentic look, there's a wealth of heritage railways out there.

20. andalfi1

Semi Retired.
    Now let me get this right:-

1/ GWR King as built - Single chimney, Medium bark= unsatisfactory performance.

2/ GWR King modified - Single chimney sleeved, Loud bark= improved performance.

3/ BR King modified - Double chimney, Medium bark= further improved performance.

4/ GWS King modified- Single chimney, new blastpipe cap, back to medium bark=improved performance.

So, it looks as if the GWS modifications take the King more toward AS BUILT condition, WITH improved performance (promised), still able to run on today's railway!
    Cant see what all the fuss is about.....

Andy