If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

60163 test runs

Discussion in 'What's Going On' started by jackprentice2007, Nov 4, 2008.

1. stepney60

stepney60 Nat Pres stalwart

Re: 60103 @ York tonight

I would hope people would follow the rules no matter where they are, not just for the "oh, there's no-one around, it doesn't matter" approach. You wouldn't break the law just because no-one was looking, would you? The answer is simple, as it is with trespass and other issues, if you see someone doing it when they shouldn't be, challenge them.

2. dalrypaul

dalrypaul Guest

Now here, I think, you've hit the nail on the head. It is the surprise factor that is potentially more dangerous than the flash of bright light itself. I doubt the foreman dropped his mug of tea because he could no longer see it.

I would argue that there was little danger with Tornado running through York station, as the flashguns would hardly be a surprise (even if they weren't supposed to be going off). However, a bright flash of light on an otherwise dark night in the middle of nowhere, would probably cause more concern. I read that Gary Knapp (US-based photter) doesn't inform the crews when he's out and about and that they are now reasonably used to the occasional bright flash of light in the middle of nowhere. If not pointing directly into the face from close distance, it isn't really any different visually to a flash of lightning.

3. Guest

Guest Part of the furniture Account Suspended

Occasional

On the one side you have the Elf n Safeteigh and Risk Assessment culture - how much railway would exist if that had been around a century ago?

On the other the Gung Ho I'll do anything I like brigade

What exactly is a train driver going to do if someone falls off a platform? swerve? Get real - and if drivers really are disturbed by compact flash guns - what are they doing driving 500 ton loads anyway?

Personally I prefer ambient light shots - but that means a tripod as my digital SLR isn't fitted with an image steady. Cue the don't cause a tripping hazard brigade.

We have lost both common sense and an aproach to life as it has to be lived - and we are the poorer for it!

4. Enterprise

Enterprise Part of the furniture

Because many "simple" requests are idiotic, unreasonable and issued by pompous asses!

Having got that off my chest, I don't have a view about flash photography. It seems to me that it shouldn't be a problem but plenty of drivers post on other fora that it is. They are the chaps bearing the responsibility so their view should be respected.

I have a hypothesis; the older members of this forum are less tolerant of the modern health and safety culture than the youngsters.

Cheers
    Alan

5. Tracklayer

Tracklayer Resident of Nat Pres

Employed

Its not a very reasonable/inteligent response though is it...

Do what ya bloody told.

There are more inportant things to rebel against such as our incompetant government and the problems with a society who can't seem to wipe their own arse without asking somebody how. Take a little responsibility.

6. RalphW

RalphW Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Administrator Friend

Retired-ish, Part time rail tour steward.
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer

Yes I'm quite happy to agree with that... We have managed to survive through our foolish younger days without H&S, so there is little wonder why we now ridicule it so often..

7. Tracklayer

Tracklayer Resident of Nat Pres

Employed

the problem that the young people have to deal with gents is this;

We do not make the rules, but we had a duty to enforce them. If we do not, we have a responsibility to anything that happens and ultimatly Network Rail pull the plug. By taking it out on us you make yourselves look foolish and have no positive impact. Why not try complaining to somebody who can change the rules if you feel it is important enough. Or as i have said previously, find something important to complain about such as our incompetant government, the scandolous loss of life in the Iraq war or the waste of money that is - the National ID card scheme being railroaded onto us by our leaders under the pretence of National Security.

8. Big Dave

Big Dave Member

Retired

I and many others both young and old find that the excesses of the H&S are creating a society that has no concept of risk.

A large part of growing up is learning what is dangerous and what is safe.

The present H&S culture is robbing people of this awareness.

You can never legislate for fools.

How often when driving has someone just walked into the road without ever looking, I now regard people like the sheep on the side of an ungated road neither have any common sense.

Dave

9. Gwenllian2001

Gwenllian2001 Member

Retired

Fair enough but please don't fall into the trap of thinking that the motorist is always right. How often do you see motorists turn into side roads, without indicating, with complete disregard for the safety of pedestrians?

Meic

10. NDTSDN

NDTSDN Part of the furniture

and the safety of cyclist.

11. Big Dave

Big Dave Member

Retired

Totally agree we all need to look out for each other.

Dave

12. tobes3803

tobes3803 Member

And if we didnt have rules where would we be??.........................FRANCE!

13. RalphW

But just a minute, roads are for cars etc not pedestrians, therefore pedestrians must always be sure that it is safe to cross any road. Just because it's a side road and no one appears to be turning in does not make it OK.
    Drivers do not pull out just because an oncoming vehicle signals to turn, you wait until you are sure they are going to make the turn first.

14. John Elliot Jnr

John Elliot Jnr Well-Known Member

Museum curator

From the Highway Code, Section 206:

Drive carefully and slowly when:

...turning at road junctions; give way to pedestrians who are already crossing the road into which you are turning.

15. Big Dave

Big Dave Member

Retired

Entirely correct John but for one point, it is also down to the pedestrian to make sure it is safe to cross first and not so simply walk out into the road without bothering to look.

Dave

16. John Elliot Jnr

John Elliot Jnr Well-Known Member

Museum curator

And I'm sure any pedestrian who values his or her life would do so. The point is that even though it might have appeared safe to cross at first, a turning vehicle can suddenly appear; that's why, in this case, pedestrians already crossing have right of way.

17. dalrypaul

dalrypaul Guest

And I'm sure any pedestrian who values his or her life would do so. The point is that even though it might have appeared safe to cross at first, a turning vehicle can suddenly appear; that's why, in this case, pedestrians already crossing have right of way.[/quote:c7ayqlad]
    Couldn't agree more, all it takes is a friendly gesture as a pedestrian to wave the car on if they're turning off a busy road and you're just beginning to cross, or the car driver to wave the pedestrian across if they're already well across the road. Everyone appreciates this. Sadly, there is far too much aggresive road use, with attitudes like Ralphs 'roads are for cars'.

18. RalphW

Too right mow then down whenever you can like I have been doing for the past 48 years as a driver.

For heavens sake I was only trying to make the point that pedestrians need to be mindful that road vehicles cannot stop dead and should take some responsibility for their own safety.
    As a motorcyclist I have had seveal minor bumps in towns caused by pedestrians rushing across a road through stationary traffic only to come across me carefully filtering. Then cursing me for being there. ](*,)

19. Steve

Steve Resident of Nat Pres Friend

Gentleman of leisure, nowadays
    Yes I am an active volunteer

Roads are for cars? Roads are for farmers to drive their cattle and sheep along, drive tractors and other farm machinery along them, people to ride horses on, AND people to walk on. That was happening long before the car came on the scene and still does where I live. Car drivers are just one of many that have a right to be there and, although I'm happy to be corrected, cars and their drivers do not have precedence over any of them, except on motorways and some other modern highways.
    Common sense says that you walk on the pavement and look out for other traffic but I don't think there is any law requiring you to.

20. robert

robert New Member

Consultant

Presumably you have no children of your own and thereby no concept of the pain of losing a loved one through the irresponsible, unsafe actions of someone else in the quest for profit?

You obviously haven't a clue what H&S legislation is about.

You said it Dave!

Yep, 3000+ sheep, sorry persons, per annum killed on our roads every year. No doubt, in your world, all due to clueless pedestrains jumping out in front of sober, competent, non mobile phone using, sticking to the speed limit, correctly insured motorists.

[/quote:rj521oac]]

By any chance would that be big daft Dave?